PDA

View Full Version : Poodles on Parade: 2012 Westminster Dog Show tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

rfisher
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
I love pointers. If I had several acres of land, I'd have one. My parents had pointers and English setters that they use with quail. Watching a good field dog work is so much fun.

cholla
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
The Alaskan Malamute can finish second to the Siberian Husky.

I have both and none of them agree ;)

Lacey
02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Can anyone else say if Malachy has what I would consider good markings? His coloring seem to be balanced so that both sides of his face and body matched. The colors changed from grey to black to tan, which made him interesting, but they always matched, one side to the other. The only thing I would pick a bone with is that it seemed like his hair was blown dry to hard and fast, it seemed brittle, but maybe that is the breed standard. His hair seemed perfectly cropped, shaped, but still a little fly away.

I would have given it to the Irish Setter because she had 15 puppies last year and bounced right back. Her coat was so shiny and gorgeous. She was regal.

IceAlisa
02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
IIRC, Malachy's hair doesn't need trimming, just lots of grooming.

Sassafras
02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
IIRC, Malachy's hair doesn't need trimming, just lots of grooming.
Looks like he need a good conditioner.

IceAlisa
02-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Looks like he need a good conditioner.

Yes.

Cachoo
02-17-2012, 01:47 AM
The Alaskan Malamute can finish second to the Siberian Husky.

I bet they tie when it comes to keeping up with all of the fur. I can't believe how early her second coat started shedding this year. Of course it has been unusually warm....

cholla
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Cygnus & Cachoo, are you mushers ? Or do you have just one dog ?

Japanfan
02-18-2012, 01:57 AM
With Goldens, I'm biased but all the ones I've met (pet/show type, as opposed to the rather rangy, flatter-coated working dogs, which don't look like show Goldens) have had dryer lint where their brains ought to be.

:lol:

Intelligence isn't required to win show titles. The Pekingese not exactly a genius among dogs.

cygnus
02-18-2012, 02:20 AM
Cygnus & Cachoo, are you mushers ? Or do you have just one dog ?

Just the one dog. I'd love to have a team, but one is enough (for now!)

danceronice
02-18-2012, 04:33 AM
:lol:

Intelligence isn't required to win show titles. The Pekingese not exactly a genius among dogs.

The Goldens just LOOK dumb, though. :lol: All that poofy hair and the puppy heads (the Border Collies are kind of getting the same way as far as their huge poofy coats and bulbish heads compared to the really wiry herding dogs.)

And all that fluff...I always loved Malamutes and Siberian Huskies in theory and then I saw the hair on my friend's when the coat goes...that is more fuzz than I can deal with! You could stuff pillows!

Japanfan
02-18-2012, 10:28 AM
The Goldens just LOOK dumb, though. :lol: All that poofy hair and the puppy heads (the Border Collies are kind of getting the same way as far as their huge poofy coats and bulbish heads compared to the really wiry herding dogs.)

And all that fluff...I always loved Malamutes and Siberian Huskies in theory and then I saw the hair on my friend's when the coat goes...that is more fuzz than I can deal with! You could stuff pillows!

Goldens look dumb? :confused: Poofy Goldens, Border Collies, Malamutes and Siberians?:confused:

These are among the least ridiculous dogs in the competition.

The Poodles rule the poof. The Shi Tsus look like they've got hair extensions. And the Peke who won look he/she was having a bad hair day and someone blew dry the coat in the wrong direction. Peke's hardly have any face and this one you couldn't see at all.

danceronice
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Goldens look dumb? :confused: Poofy Goldens, Border Collies, Malamutes and Siberians?:confused:

These are among the least ridiculous dogs in the competition.

You've never seen original working-line goldens and border collies, have you? They (and Aussies) do NOT look like the fluff-coated puppy-faced show dogs. Also the bones on the herders are getting much too heavy. The working lines are thiner-boned, leaner, with narrower faces and do NOT have mountains of foofy hair. You can't hunt duck with a show golden's coat. The Border Collies are reaching the point of the ridiculous--they don't look like Border Collies.

Toys are what they are. The Peke is meant to be the personal lapdog of the Chinese Imperial family. It doesn't HAVE to keep its hair clean as in its world, it doesn't walk. It sits on pillows and rides in sleeves. In terms of which confo ring dog better suits the breed's purpose, the Toys blow the pet-popular Goldens and Labs and unfortunate popular herding breeds out of the water. They can still be lap dogs. I would never send a Border Collie with a show coat into Highland heather to round up sheep. I'd be picking crap out of it for weeks. It's a beauty queen, which is fine for a breed that exists solely as a house dog, but that's not what a herding dog is for. You can't give the sheep the eye out of a bulbous puppy face.

As for Siberians and Malamutes, they do something called "blowing their coat." If you don't like a dog that takes shedding to undreamed-of heights, NOT the dog for you. That's just how they are--the thick Arctic coat has to come off at some point. I have enough trouble with the thick undercoat on a Pembroke.

Japanfan
02-18-2012, 11:55 PM
You've never seen original working-line goldens and border collies, have you?

Um - I actually have a golden retriever myself (from field lines) and am very familiar with the breed. I simply do not agree with you that they look ridiculous or foofy.

Also the bones on the herders are getting much too heavy. The working lines are thiner-boned, leaner, with narrower faces and do NOT have mountains of foofy hair. You can't hunt duck with a show golden's coat. The Border Collies are reaching the point of the ridiculous--they don't look like Border Collies.

I agree that the bones are heavier in the show dogs. Didn't see the border collies, so can't comment on that.

Toys are what they are. The Peke is meant to be the personal lapdog of the Chinese Imperial family. It doesn't HAVE to keep its hair clean as in its world, it doesn't walk. It sits on pillows and rides in sleeves. In terms of which confo ring dog better suits the breed's purpose, the Toys blow the pet-popular Goldens and Labs and unfortunate popular herding breeds out of the water. They can still be lap dogs. I would never send a Border Collie with a show coat into Highland heather to round up sheep. I'd be picking crap out of it for weeks. It's a beauty queen, which is fine for a breed that exists solely as a house dog, but that's not what a herding dog is for. You can't give the sheep the eye out of a bulbous puppy face.

Which pretty much makes a mockery of the notion that Westminister is a competition and explains why some of the bigger breeds do poorly. Knowing this, I'll be less inclined to watch Westminister in future.

Jimena
02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
(What do I know? I'm still holding out for a Clumber Spaniel best in show. I love Clumbers almost as much as Sussex. Trying to convince my Dad, he NEEDS a nice big upland bird dog to stroll around the farm. He likes them, but as he doesn't hunt birds, he's unconvinced of a Clumber's nescessity.)

A Clumber won best in show a few years back (1996). He was absolutely gorgeous (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/past-winners-of-the-westminster-dog-show/2012/02/10/gIQAjVHe4Q_gallery.html#photo=16). I believe he won Crufts as well. I love that breed. Though I'm very committed to mixed breed rescues, a Clumber would be my dream dog. Well, one of many.

That said, I'm down on dog shows since I saw that British documentary on what show breeding has done to dogs. :( I'm still not over it.