PDA

View Full Version : Poodles on Parade: 2012 Westminster Dog Show tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

AragornElessar
02-15-2012, 07:08 AM
My bet's on the PETA people trying something. In fact, it was the first thing I thought of after I had some more time to think about it.

IceAlisa
02-15-2012, 07:10 AM
:eek: <--hubby's reaction to the Peke's win.

BaileyCatts
02-15-2012, 09:30 AM
:dog: Yea for the peke!!!! :cheer2: :cheer: I haven't rooted that hard watching something and yelling at the TV for the peke since the last Olympics! :lol:

I liked the German Shepard and the Dalmation too, but that peke was just so damn cute!! :P

Japanfan
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I read the first post predicting that the Peke would win and read no more until I watched the last three groups and best in show. I was sure the Peke would win not only because of the prediction, but because Pekes are probably the dogs I like the least - and my favs often don't win.

I think that big dogs generally get robbed at Westminister - Josh the Newfoundland won some years ago, but after that, I think all the winners were small dogs - the beagle is pretty close to a small dog.

I was rooting for the German Shepherd, the Dobie, and the Setter. But of course, it had to be the Peke.:(

Garden Kitty
02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I was rooting for the German Shepherd, the Dobie, and the Setter. But of course, it had to be the Peke.:(

This, plus the Dalmatian. I'm sure the Peke is a lovely Peke, but it was probably my least favorite. And should I really trust the judgement of a woman dressed like the BIS judge? ;)

Karina1974
02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Just saw on a local news feed that a local (for me) dog won Best of Breed, and his half sister won Best of Opposite.

Selkirk dog "Best of Breed" at Westminister Show (http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Selkirk-dog-best-of-breed-at-Westminster-show-3323565.php)

danceronice
02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Disappointed but not surprised at BIS. But they were all champs, it's just that was my least favorite of the top 7.

That's how I feel every time there is a toy or mininature poodle as a group winner. I don't loathe them as much as Poms or Pugs or schnauzer-like terriers but I just really think they look awful. (I like Standards, especially with a body clip.

Karina--I had a local (to me) in the Terrier Group with the Bedlington. I didn't even known someone raised Bedlingtons around here!

Rob
02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
One story said it was one woman trying to reach the ring, another story said it was two PETA members trying to reach the ring.

It looked like 2 people with some kind of signs or small banners. PETA came to mind immediately.

I loved the Shepherd out of the Best in Show candidates. Peke is cute, but such a Cousin It.

But even more I loved the Sammy, Malamute, Newfie, Pyrenees, etc. I did'nt get to see the Herding group. Herding and Working are my faves.

IceAlisa
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
This, plus the Dalmatian. I'm sure the Peke is a lovely Peke, but it was probably my least favorite. And should I really trust the judgement of a woman dressed like the BIS judge? ;)

True. Not only that I suspect the vast amounts of Botox she was injected with, found their way to her brain. :EVILLE:

Has anyone else noticed that she barely had any control over her facial muscles?

KHenry14
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
If you listen close to David Frei, he almost always gives clues as to which dog's will be in the finals and might win. He mention the Peke early on and was of course correct.

IceAlisa
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
The Peke was a heavy favorite, right? Someone will have to explain this to me some day.

danceronice
02-16-2012, 12:16 AM
The Peke was a heavy favorite, right? Someone will have to explain this to me some day.

114 prior Best In Show wins means he's a pretty strong dog. I haven't read an AKC breed book in ages (hey, I worked in Mackinaw City--small library, nothing to do...) but the dogs aren't judged against each other in BiS as much as they area against their breed standard. Closest to 'textbook ideal' wins. Malachy is apparently a near-ideal Peke.

I hope so, too--I noticed with him, and the English Toy (who was Best of Breed, so the most-ideal English Toy at WKC) they didn't have the extreme squashed nose popeyed look sometimes those breeds do. They had actual snouts--short ones, but snouts. I HATE that crushed look and the inevitable snorting as the poor dogs try to breathe. I'd rather have more like those than some of the toys that have gotten to look like pug crosses.

Garden Kitty
02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
The Peke was a favorite last year as well, made it to BIS as I recall, and then didn't win.

danceronice
02-16-2012, 12:19 AM
The Peke was a favorite last year as well, made it to BIS as I recall, and then didn't win.

Yep. Same Peke (Malachy). Apparently Hickory was a more ideal deerhound than he is a Peke, at least with that judge! (Did anyone else feel sorry for her in that home video? Those were HUGE puppies, and TEN! It would be like having a whole herd of small gazelles in the house.)

IceAlisa
02-16-2012, 01:28 AM
114 prior Best In Show wins means he's a pretty strong dog. I haven't read an AKC breed book in ages (hey, I worked in Mackinaw City--small library, nothing to do...) but the dogs aren't judged against each other in BiS as much as they area against their breed standard. Closest to 'textbook ideal' wins. Malachy is apparently a near-ideal Peke.

I hope so, too--I noticed with him, and the English Toy (who was Best of Breed, so the most-ideal English Toy at WKC) they didn't have the extreme squashed nose popeyed look sometimes those breeds do. They had actual snouts--short ones, but snouts. I HATE that crushed look and the inevitable snorting as the poor dogs try to breathe. I'd rather have more like those than some of the toys that have gotten to look like pug crosses.

Thanks. I realize that in BiS they are judged against the breed standard and he is a great Peke apparently. I was just wondering what make him such a great Peke and say, the Irish setter a not as great an Irish setter.