PDA

View Full Version : Poodles on Parade: 2012 Westminster Dog Show tonight

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

rfisher
02-14-2012, 04:20 AM
:lol: I take it her dog is named Fred.

IceAlisa
02-14-2012, 04:21 AM
:dog: The Westminster Dog show starts tonight. Broadcast on USA network.
Vegas is predicting a Peke (http://www.huliq.com/3257/pekingese-odds-favorite-win-2012-westminster-kennel-club-dog-show) to win.

Bite your tongue. :scream:

Rachael Flatt weighs in on twitter:

Took me a second to recognize that OES is Old English Sheepdog and not Obscure European Skater :lol:
:lol: Me too.

danceronice
02-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Peke Peke Peke Peke!

See, you jinxed the poodles with the thread title.

And while I get all the continuing Uno love, Stump is my favorite WKC winner. I loved him the first time I saw him compete before his retirement/comeback--the first Sussex Spaniel I ever saw. Meanwhile my brother's coworker is friends with the owners of Hickory, last year's winner. Demonstrating I am far too weird about dogs, I considered asking him to ask coworker to ask Hickory's owners if Hickory gives authographs (pawgraphs?)

Garden Kitty
02-14-2012, 04:28 AM
:lol: I take it her dog is named Fred.

IIRC, she has two sheepdogs named Fred and Ethel.

dbell1
02-14-2012, 04:34 AM
My 3 favorite Westminster winners were Josh the Newfie, the '87 Shepherd (just because I worship the breed) and that adorable little Papillion that fit into the cup. :lol:

Watching the taped coverage now with my Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, my Schnoodle, and my Akita Newfoundland mix. They're all ignoring the tv though. :lol:

ETA - and just finished up the tape. Go Shepherd Go!!! :dog:

IceAlisa
02-14-2012, 05:06 AM
My fave was Josh as well and Uno the beagle.

The toys are next, not my favorite. The hounds are :kickass: :dog:

AragornElessar
02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/results/group/non-sporting.html

results. USA only showed one hour tonight.

The whippet placed 3rd in the hound group.
Dalmation won the non-sporting. That's never good because people get all 100 Dalmation happy eyes and they can be very difficult dogs to deal with and take the right owners. A lot of them end up in rescue or shelters. :(

As much as Richard Simmons can be annoying, I do give him tremendous credit for when his love of this breed comes up in interviews/appearances, he's always saying that while he's a Dalmation owner, he can also take care of them and provide them w/the enivronment they need to have to be happy. He also always makes sure to mention they're a breed that is prone to deafness and hip dysplasia and unless you're prepared/capable of handing a breed w/those possible problems and can also be high strung, then do yourself and the dog a favour and look at another breed.

That's the sign of a true Dog/Animal Lover there.

I completely forgot WKC was on tonight until halfway through The Voice. Catching the repeat on Animal Planet right now and couldn't help but LOL at the Peke trying to go around the ring. :D My favourites aren't up until tomorrow night in the Sporting Group, although, I did like the look of that new breed for this year from Norway. Also love the American Eskimo and Bichon.

One of my favourite WKC BiS moments was when the Bichon won a few years ago and that lil guy was so excited, when they popped him into the bowl, his front legs were just flying up and down. :D Also loved it when the Newfie won, Uno and that gorgeous German Shepard of a few years ago.

Looking forward to tomorrow night!! :)

KHenry14
02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I think that Dalmation was superb. But I have a feeling that it's a done deal that the Peke is going to win it all tonight.

BTW, we were pleased to see that our breed, the English Toy Spaniel, made the cut in the Toy Group. Our breed never gets any respect, so it was nice to see the breed do well.

We also liked the Lowchen.

Kruss
02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Overall, I think we've got a great group so far going into BIS. Really looking forward to tonight.

Wesminster is like the Superbowl in our family. Sadly, I have no pups to watch it with me, only my overgrown Maine Coon who flops on the back of the chair and glares at me when I pet her.

IceAlisa
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
It's Dalmatian. Again, not my favorite. Liked the German shepherd and the rough collie. Looking forward to the working group tonight. Newfies! Malachy the Peke is great, darn it. He is going to Patrick Chan it, innit.

sk8er1964
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Wesminster is like the Superbowl in our family. Sadly, I have no pups to watch it with me, only my overgrown Maine Coon who flops on the back of the chair and glares at me when I pet her.

Our german shepherd was very interested last night. Stood in front of the tv, cocking her head, and grumbling. She even tried to look behind the tv to see where the dogs were. :lol:

Kruss
02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Our german shepherd was very interested last night. Stood in front of the tv, cocking her head, and grumbling. She even tried to look behind the tv to see where the dogs were. :lol:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE German Shepherds, so I was so excited last night. :)

Garden Kitty
02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Article on last night's winners on MSNBC website (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46382113/ns/sports-westminster_dog_show/). Oddly, there is also a picture of Maddie Hubbel staring at her skate in the sidebar of sports pictures of the week (at least that was the top pic when I looked - they may change).

Prancer
02-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Wheeee! One of my neighbors won Best in Breed. I had no idea she had show dogs; she owns a grooming parlor, so she's always got a yard and houseful of dogs, but none of them ever struck me as anything special :shuffle:.

Garden Kitty
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Also, has there been any discussion about Westminster changing sponsors because the Pedigree "sad dogs up for adoption" ads were not part of a "shared vision (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/nyregion/westminster-dog-show-parts-ways-with-pedigree-a-longtime-sponsor.html)"?

I'm torn because I'm in favor of anything that can help more shelter pets get rescued, but I also tend to fast forward through the Pedigree commercials because I find them so sad.