PDA

View Full Version : The Grammys

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

Wyliefan
02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I hadn't seen that the King's Speech score picked up an award. Woohoo! :cheer2: Thanks for the list!

Scintillation
02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I only sat through the Grammys to watch Adele perform. Love her, she was great. I'm so glad her throat surgery went well.
And while I'm happy she won so many awards (deservedly), I was pissed to see Chris Brown is still being admired for his "comeback". I know there are others in the music industry who are equally big on the POS scale, but I can't stand him. It's like the entertainment industry is trying to force him down our collective throats and I'd like them to quit it, please. He needs to be taken home so he can finish growing up and learn how to behave himself.

Cyn
02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Half of my workout songs are by David Guetta or remixes by him. I think he's awesome. :P

:wideeyes: :drama: :fragile: You are dead to me.

(and you with usually such good taste in music too).

Jenny
02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Two things that puzzle me:

How on earth Jennifer Hudson lost to Fantasia and 5 other people I've never heard of on American Idol. She continues to prove that she's a winner, any way you slice it.

Mind you, her performance lacked the purity of Whitney's or the innocence of Dolly's original, but under the circumstances, I can't think of anyone who could have done it better.

That the music industry appears to have completely forgiven if not forgotten Chris Brown's violence against Rihanna. I guess it's up to her to decide that she's forgiven him (and she apparently has), but the glowing adoration on the faces of everyone in the audience when he performed surprised me.

cruisin
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
I like Fergie's dress, but I think it would look better without the black lingerie.

I loved the dress, but it should have had a slip dress under it. I don't know that I would have done such a bright orange, maybe more of a light coral. And I would have put a lavender or blue ankle length slip dress under it. But the lace, the shape, the fit was gorgeous. Marc Jacobs did something similar, in a mid-calf length. did it in white with a black slip underneath, and did it in black with black underneath. Gorgeous, but the lace on the JPG dress Fergie wore, is nicer (less bulky).

Rex
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
...I was pissed to see Chris Brown is still being admired for his "comeback". I know there are others in the music industry who are equally big on the POS scale, but I can't stand him. It's like the entertainment industry is trying to force him down our collective throats and I'd like them to quit it, please. He needs to be taken home so he can finish growing up and learn how to behave himself.
He's taking his licks...I understand why some are still so angry with him, but when does he get a chance to redeem himself?

DarrellH
02-13-2012, 06:28 PM
How on earth Jennifer Hudson lost to Fantasia and 5 other people I've never heard of on American Idol. She continues to prove that she's a winner, any way you slice it.

Jennifer did not have the background story and promotion by the Idol machine that Fantasia did.

reckless
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Jennifer did not have the background story and promotion by the Idol machine that Fantasia did.

She also didn't help herself with her dress choices (the silver, tinfoil jumpsuit :scream:) and she got branded as a bit mouthy when she talked back to Simon. So, while I loved her at the time, I can see why she did not connect with the broader audience. Her elimination was a pretty classic case of vote-splitting. By the time of the final 7, there were two other African-American R&B/soul female singers (Fantasia and LaToya London) still in the contest and they were the other singers in the bottom 3. I think Fantasia is rather maligned, but she had a lot of presence on state and, imo, was a deserving winner. LaToya staying over Jennifer never made sense to me, but she was hardly a bad singer (and she also had success in theater in The Color Purple musical). The other women who stayed over Jennifer were the teens -- Jasmine Trias (who apparently got a lot of votes out of Hawaii, when phone lines are not competing with other states) and Diana (who got a lot of support because she was cute and innocent). And the men who remained were George Huff, another R&B singer, and John Stevens, who seemed to get the cute, inoffensive boy vote. (Stevens and Huff were voted off in the next two weeks.)

Michalle
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Was Jennifer Hudson's elimination the one that Elton John flipped out about or was that someone else? It's been so long...

FiveRinger
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Best R&B Song – “Fool For You” (Performed by Cee Lo Green & Melanie Fiona)
\

Can you believe I just heard this about 2 weeks ago and I can't stop playing it. It's hot....as in that's some deep lovin' right there HOT!

UGG
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I am sure J-Hud is not losing sleep over losing idol. (saying that in general, not in response to the poster who said they don't know how she lost). She is an Academy Award winner, Grammy winner, and she has a kewl nick name like J-lo.

UGG
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Also...did Lady Gaga seem really...lonely or something? I kind of felt bad for her. No one cared about her LOL.

kylet3
02-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I am sure J-Hud is not losing sleep over losing idol. (saying that in general, not in response to the poster who said they don't know how she lost). She is an Academy Award winner, Grammy winner, and she has a kewl nick name like J-lo.

She's doing just fine for herself and has more success than most of the idol winners have had. Now if she would just get herself back on tour so I could go see her!

Jenny
02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
She also didn't help herself with her dress choices (the silver, tinfoil jumpsuit :scream:) and she got branded as a bit mouthy when she talked back to Simon. So, while I loved her at the time, I can see why she did not connect with the broader audience. Her elimination was a pretty classic case of vote-splitting. By the time of the final 7, there were two other African-American R&B/soul female singers (Fantasia and LaToya London) still in the contest and they were the other singers in the bottom 3. I think Fantasia is rather maligned, but she had a lot of presence on state and, imo, was a deserving winner. LaToya staying over Jennifer never made sense to me, but she was hardly a bad singer (and she also had success in theater in The Color Purple musical). The other women who stayed over Jennifer were the teens -- Jasmine Trias (who apparently got a lot of votes out of Hawaii, when phone lines are not competing with other states) and Diana (who got a lot of support because she was cute and innocent). And the men who remained were George Huff, another R&B singer, and John Stevens, who seemed to get the cute, inoffensive boy vote. (Stevens and Huff were voted off in the next two weeks.)

All makes perfect sense, and on Wiki there's something about a storm/power outage in her hometown that cost her votes, but the point is that a serious talent - someone who even if she wasn't all that on the show clearly had the *potential* to be an "American idol," slipped through the cracks of the top ten. I have to think that the producers are somewhat embarrassed by that one.

Also...did Lady Gaga seem really...lonely or something? I kind of felt bad for her. No one cared about her LOL.

She's so over.

jeffisjeff
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
She's so over.

Well, my 6 year old just discovered her last night and now loves her. She came down from bed during the Glen Campbell tribute and I let her stay for a few minutes (Rhinestone Cowboy being so wholesome and all ;) ). The camera was panning the audience and they showed Lady Gaga and my daughter was :eek: and :swoon: over her get up. :rofl: And then she :cheer: when I said her name is "Lady Gaga." My daughter obviously gets her fashion sense from my husband. :P