PDA

View Full Version : The Grammys

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30

Mayra
02-13-2012, 05:09 AM
:scream:

Can someone explain to me why she's a big deal? I couldn't make it through Video Games....
ITA
I feel like the powers that be (whatever that means) keep trying to push this girl as the next big thing and I'm not sure why. :confused:

She has an excellent PR machine thats for sure.

Lara
02-13-2012, 05:09 AM
:scream:

Can someone explain to me why she's a big deal? I couldn't make it through Video Games....

I kinda like Radio. :o But yeah.

Best New Artist could actually be possible though. Heck, even Alt Nation on Sirius plays her...

oleada
02-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Oh, and why wasn't Florence + the Machine nominated for ANYTHING?! I was shocked when I read all the noms and didn't see her name. I really like "Shake It Out".

-Bridget

I think that her album was released after the deadline. I hope Florence wins big next year. "Ceremonials" as a whole, is brilliant. Shake It Out, Breaking Down and All This and Heaven Too are my favorites.

Kruss
02-13-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm so glad they ended the show with Sir Paul, to wipe out the Minaj travesty.

reckless
02-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I was so exited that my favorite new artist, Jamie Grace, was nominated for Best Christian song for "Hold Me" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgr8SgCYbY)! She didn't win :( but her album is FABULOUS!! Very happy she got a nom!

Oh, and why wasn't Florence + the Machine nominated for ANYTHING?! I was shocked when I read all the noms and didn't see her name. I really like "Shake It Out".

-Bridget
Ceremonials wasn't eligible for album nominations because it didn't come out until October. Eligible albums had to come out before Sept. 30, 2011. I'm not sure if Shake it Out was eligible. It was released over the internet in September, but I'm not sure it was generally available for sale until October, which would make it eligible for next year.

It's similar to Adele winning this year for Rolling in the Deep, which was released in November 2010, after the eligibility period for the 2011 Grammys.

John 3 17
I think that her album was released after the deadline. I hope Florence wins big next year. "Ceremonials" as a whole, is brilliant. Shake It Out, Breaking Down and All This and Heaven Too are my favorites.

Oh, thank Heavens! That's what I was hoping happened. Florence should dominate next year like Adele did this! Looking forward to it already :)

Wyliefan
And once again, classical music gets the shaft on the broadcast.

Has it ever NOT gotten the shaft? I can't ever remember it being featured on the Grammys. Although, granted, I don't watch them often.

oleada
02-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Oh, thank Heavens! That's what I was hoping happened. Florence should dominate next year like Adele did this! Looking forward to it already :)

From your fingers to the Grammy voters' ears! If there's any fairness in the world, it should.

On another note, what's with the Brits producing all the great female singers these days? Amy Winehouse (RIP), Adele, Florence Welch, Rumer...

Lara
02-13-2012, 05:20 AM
I hope they remember her, old as the album will be by Feb 2013. ITA that Ceremonials is brilliant and I'll happily listen to it the whole way through.

Oleada - Brits just know how to make great music in general. :) All the females does seem new though.

oleada
02-13-2012, 05:21 AM
I hope they remember her, old as the album will be by spring 2013. ITA that Ceremonials is brilliant and I'll happily listen to it the whole way through.

That's what I worry about - it was released pretty early in the eligibility period. However, it's doing very well...though, it's not as mainstream as Adele.

Allskate
02-13-2012, 05:22 AM
Loved that Adele won pretty much every category, but I was hoping Mumford & Sons would snag an award. That's one of my other favorite albums.

I love that album, too, but I don't think that most of that album was eligible this year. That was last year. The Cave never really had a good chance in the rock category or up against Adele.

It was great to hear Adele in great vocal form. I bet she never imagined that Paul McCartney would be pumping his fist for one of her performances, and at the Grammys. It made me so happy to see her so happy when she won album of the year.

Jennifer Hudson impressed me so much tonight, delivering a heartbreaking beautiful performance under very difficult circumstances. Major kudos to her.

LL did a very good job with the opening. That was a tough thing to do and I think he handled it very well.

Bruno Mars isn't my cup of tea, but I do think he's a very talented singer and entertainer. Was his reaction to Adele winning for best pop performance for real or a joke?

I really enjoyed Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt. Looking forward to Bonnie's upcoming album.

I am not a fan of Chris Brown at all. But, I don't think there should be a character or personality test to perform at the Grammys, especially several years later. If there were such a test, he certainly would not be the only one excluded.

I would have liked to hear The Civil Wars finish their song, but I get that Taylor Swift is huge.

I'm glad Glen Campbell was able to be there and be a part of that tribute while he still has some memory and understanding of what it was all about.

The Nicki Minaj thing was just baffling to me.

Also, I really liked the Chipotle and Target ads.

I would have liked it if each artist had been limited to one song, so we could have a greater number of performers.

PrincessLeppard
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I think I love your daughter. David Guetta is an overrated hack :blah: and an insult to/boil on the butt of electronic and dance music

Half of my workout songs are by David Guetta or remixes by him. I think he's awesome. :P

masofs
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Here is the complete winners list:

Album of the Year – Adele, 21
Record of the Year – Adele, “Rolling in the Deep”
Song of the Year – Adele, “Rolling in the Deep”
Best New Artist – Bon Iver
Best Pop Solo Performance – Adele, “Someone Like You”
Best Pop Duo/Group Performance – Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse, “Body and Soul”
Best Pop Instrumental Album – Booker T. Jones, The Road From Memphis
Best Pop Vocal Album – Adele, 21
Best Dance Recording – Skrillex, “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites”
Best Dance/Electronica Album – Skrillex, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album – Tony Bennett & Various Artists, Duets II
Best Rock Performance – Foo Fighters, “Walk”
Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance – Foo Fighters, “White Limo”
Best Rock Song – Foo Fighters, “Walk”
Best Rock Album – Foo Fighters, Wasting Light
Best Alternative Music Album – Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Best R&B Performance – Corinne Bailey Rae, “In This Love”
Best Traditional R&B Performance – Cee Lo Green & Melanie Fiona, “Fool For You”
Best R&B Song – “Fool For You” (Performed by Cee Lo Green & Melanie Fiona)
Best R&B Album – Chris Brown, F.A.M.E.
Best Rap Performance – Kanye West & Jay-Z, “Otis”
Best Rap/Sung Collaboration – Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi & Fergie, “All Of The Lights”
Best Rap Song – “All Of The Lights” (Performed by Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi & Fergie)
Best Rap Album – Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Best Country Solo Performance – Taylor Swift, “Mean”
Best Country Duo/Group Performance – The Civil Wars, “Barton Hollow”
Best Country Song – Taylor Swift, “Mean”
Best Country Album – Lady Antebellum, Own The Night
Best Spoken Word Album – Betty White, If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won’t)
Best Comedy Album – Louis C.K., Hilarious
Best Musical Theater Album – The Book of Mormon
Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media – Boardwalk Empire: Volume 1
Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media – Alexandre Desplat, The King’s Speech
Best Song Written For Visual Media – Tangled, “I See The Light”
Best Historical Album – Paul McCartney, Band On The Run
Best Short Form Music Video – Adele, “Rolling in the Deep”
Best Long Form Music Video – Foo Fighters, Foo Fighters: Back And Forth

Rukia
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Would the dude from The Foo Fighters just get the eff off the stage. Seriously. Who is he fecking? The producer?

Really? Dave Grohl is very talented and from what I understand well liked. But then I am a huge Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl fan, so I am biased. I was excited to see him get to perform 3 times though. I think they do a killer live show.

Rob
02-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Bruce - Yes! I am so glad I got tickets for his tour.
Nikki Minaj - WTF? Awful.
Maroon 5 & Foster the People doing Beach boys - LOL! What was that? I wished FTP did their own song.
The Beach Boys doing the Beach Boys -- yikes I am so old and they are even older
Rhianna - I never like her/sings on 4 notes only
Chris Brown - blah stick with SYTYCD or DWTS results show
Foo Fighters - Are they always that off key?
Cold Play - Are they always that off key?
Carrie Underwood - unusually shrill -- maybe not in same key as Bennett?
Jennifer Hudson -- Wow really moving and beautiful
Adele - fantastic
Taylor Swift - the best I have ever heard her sing
Glenn Campbell -- awwww
The Band Perry/Blake Shelton - pretty good (I am not a country fan, but I do like the Band Perry quite a bit).
Alicia Keys/Bonnie Raitt - that was nice
Paul McCartney - my husband asked if he'd had a stroke, and he said it out of concern.
Bruno Mars - entertaining
Katy Perry - I am not a fan