PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir vs Davis & White- the best rivalry in skating ever in any discipline?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Karpenko
02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Give me Grishuk & Platov vs Krylova & Ovsiannikov any day of the week. And in any discipline? Good lord I'm just going to bow out now. :slinkaway

judgejudy27
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Krylova & Ovsiannikov never beat Gritschuk & Platov. Not even once. Skaters have to be rivals for it be a rivalry. Maria Butyrskaya and Nicole Bobek were even closer to being rivals to Michelle Kwan than K&O or anyone after 94 was to G&P.

fenway2
02-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Krylova & Ovsiannikov never beat Gritschuk & Platov. Not even once. Skaters have to be rivals for it be a rivalry. Maria Butyrskaya and Nicole Bobek were even closer to being rivals to Michelle Kwan than K&O or anyone after 94 was to G&P. I was going to say the same thing. K&O would have had to have beaten G&P at least once to even call it a rivalry but they didn't. As a result, it was a domination on G&P's part, not a rivalry.

EBASKoroleva
02-15-2012, 07:22 AM
No.

berthesghost
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Some people need to invest in a good dictionary. :lol:

PashaFan
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Krylova & Ovsiannikov never beat Gritschuk & Platov. Not even once. Skaters have to be rivals for it be a rivalry. Maria Butyrskaya and Nicole Bobek were even closer to being rivals to Michelle Kwan than K&O or anyone after 94 was to G&P.

K/O beat G/P in the OD at the 1998 Europeans but lost the Gold.
I'm with Karpenko on this-it was still a great rivalry-IMO. Everyone who watched the two couples had a different view.
Also for me Sale/Pelletier V Berezhnaya /Sikharludize was a great rivalry.
Yagudin V Plushenko was better also.
I know Lipinski V Kwan only lasted a few years but it was still exciting.
Butyrskaya V Slutskaya-being in Europe-also very good.
IMO it's way too early to call the V/M V D/W rivalry the best. It's good to watch but does not have the magic yet.

judgejudy27
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
So they beat them once in the OD when G/P fell. What an amazing rivalry. :lol: Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

I actually thought K/O were good enough to be more of rivals to G/P than they were, but the pecking order within their country eliminated any chance of that happening.

briancoogaert
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
A rivalry is when both teams need to work more to beat the other one, and not when titles are well distributed. So, IMO, G&P and K&O can be considered as a rivalry. But it was not a rivalry with much suspens ! lol

pani
02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
A rivalry is when both teams need to work more to beat the other one, and not when titles are well distributed. So, IMO, G&P and K&O can be considered as a rivalry. But it was not a rivalry with much suspens ! lol

D-W and V-M didnt work hard?
I dont want to say this is best rivaliry,but i dont understand your argue.
I see only one thing - a lot off people still in 90th and didnt like today reality.
G-P and K-O wasnt rivaliry, becasue at that time if you won 1 time you will wim untill you will retier. ;) So K-O didnt have chance to be on top untill G-P retier.
Its like B-B and K-P rivaliry IMHO.

nuge
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Well I liked the short rivalry between A/P -FP/M :)

Also the rivalry between N/K and Denstas who should have won in 04:kickass:

briancoogaert
02-15-2012, 08:39 PM
D-W and V-M didnt work hard?
I dont want to say this is best rivaliry,but i dont understand your argue.
I see only one thing - a lot off people still in 90th and didnt like today reality.
G-P and K-O wasnt rivaliry, becasue at that time if you won 1 time you will wim untill you will retier. ;) So K-O didnt have chance to be on top untill G-P retier.
Its like B-B and K-P rivaliry IMHO.
???
I was answering to judgejudy to say that, IMO, G&P vs. K&O can be considered as a rivalry. I didn't say anything about V&M and D&W ! ;)

kwanette
02-15-2012, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=judgejudy27;3485886]So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

QUOTE]

I never realized that.

fenway2
02-15-2012, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=judgejudy27;3485886]So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

[QUOTE]

I never realized that. I count 4 times and 3 of those times, Kwan made serious errors.

96 centennial on ice
99 worlds
2000 worlds
2002 gpf

kwanette
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=kwanette;3486158][QUOTE=judgejudy27;3485886]So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

I count 4 times and 3 of those times, Kwan made serious errors.

96 centennial on ice
99 worlds
2000 worlds
2002 gpf

Thanks, do you mean GPF 01? MK qualified for the GPF in 02 with her SA win, but declined to participate.

fenway2
02-16-2012, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=fenway2;3486175][QUOTE=kwanette;3486158]

Thanks, do you mean GPF 01? MK qualified for the GPF in 02 with her SA win, but declined to participate.
Whoops, yes that should be 01. :)