PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir vs Davis & White- the best rivalry in skating ever in any discipline?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

~tapdancer~
02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Debate all you want but this will go down in skating history as one of the great rivalries.

Judy
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree with tapdancer .. especially since they train together. Oh to be a fly on the wall at that rink.

berthesghost
02-13-2012, 04:56 PM
This
If by good rivalry you mean that we can never be sure who will win any given event, then yes... if by good rivalry you mean the skating doesn't bore me to tears... no.This
#3. Michelle vs. Irina- This may have lasted even longer than 4 years. Both of them were competing from a very young age to an 'old' age (for a skater). Michelle seemed to win the really big competitions, while Irina won others. Their styles were apples and oranges.and this
.. especially since they train together. Kwan Vs Irina was an epic rivalry that lasted 13 years, but what really made it memorable was that they were sooooo different. Not just the whole USA vs Russia thing, but that their skating was so different, their packaging was so different, their cultural background so different, and their personalities so different.

D/W and V/M are both packaged very similarly by the same atelier, both NA skaters and combined with stuff like Marina coming out of the woodwork to criticize their "dull, soulless dancing" (said in my best Patsy Stone voice), I'm not convinced that the causal viewer can even tell one team from the other, never mind care which one wins.

allezfred
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Debate all you want but this will go down in skating history as one of the great rivalries.

Until they are bashing each other's heads on the bar counter at Spago's, then no it won't.

fenway2
02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I far prefer Kwan to Slutskaya but post 2000 I never thought it was a rivalry in the true sense of the word. I think a clean Kwan only beat a clean Slutskaya one time in serious competition (post 2000) and that would be the controversial SLC short program. Maybe I was just bitter at the time but I always got the feeling that (after 2000) if both ladies went clean in any segment of a competition, Slutskaya won. So it didn't feel like a true rivalry to me. Slutskaya was favored by the judges and Kwan could only beat her if she went clean while Slute made a mistake.

Maybe Slute was technically clean in her 2000 world long program. I don't remember. Well if you can call, watering down a program clean.

With D/W and V/M, I feel either team could win on any given day even if both skate cleanly. That to me screams real rivalry. JMO obviously.

mia joy
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
For me this rivalry is up there with Yags vs Plush and Irina vs Michelle. It will definitely go down in history, whether you like it or not.

Vash01
02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
I far prefer Kwan to Slutskaya but post 2000 I never thought it was a rivalry in the true sense of the word. I think a clean Kwan only beat a clean Slutskaya one time in serious competition (post 2000) and that would be the controversial SLC short program. Maybe I was just bitter at the time but I always got the feeling that (after 2000) if both ladies went clean in any segment of a competition, Slutskaya won. So it didn't feel like a true rivalry to me. Slutskaya was favored by the judges and Kwan could only beat her if she went clean while Slute made a mistake.

Maybe Slute was technically clean in her 2000 world long program. I don't remember. Well if you can call, watering down a program clean.

With D/W and V/M, I feel either team could win on any given day even if both skate cleanly. That to me screams real rivalry. JMO obviously.

That is incorrect. Kwan won the SP in 2002 Oly, with one minor flaw. Irina skated clean and should have won the SP, but it was too close to call, IMO; it could have gone either way. Had Irina won the SP, she would have won the OGM, with the way they placed in the LP.

fenway2
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Whether you believe Kwan's flip was flawed or not, I'm still wondering if that was the only time since 2000 that she beat a clean Slute in real competition. For the record, I think Irina was robbed of the short program win too. It felt like a case of home country advantage.

blue_idealist
02-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Isn't anyone gonna mention Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin as an important rivalry?! While it may not be as much of one as V/M or D/W (I haven't really thought enough about it to vote on the poll just now), I'm surprised that hasn't been MENTIONED.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Isn't anyone gonna mention Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin as an important rivalry?! While it may not be as much of one as V/M or D/W (I haven't really thought enough about it to vote on the poll just now), I'm surprised that hasn't been MENTIONED.

ooh, that was a good one, too.

I love both V&M and D&W, and have followed their senior careers closely. I honestly feel privileged to witness such a rivalry, and that they are good friends makes it even better.

My favourite discipline is ice dance, and I am so impressed by the depth we are seeing these days. I believe there is another rivalry between P&B and W&P that is adding to the excitement. I prefer W&P and their material, but think that P&B are still the better skaters and would love to see them win their first world medal at home. and the Shibutanis are in the mix, as are B&S and I&K (and I don't care what some say about the latter, I still enjoy watching them skate and believe they have a bright future). And look at how much C&L have improved, particularly Anna. and I saw so many promising teams at US nationals and Canadians (I wish I could see national championships from other countries, but that is all I have access to).

berthesghost
02-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Isn't anyone gonna mention Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin as an important rivalry?! While it may not be as much of one as V/M or D/W (I haven't really thought enough about it to vote on the poll just now), I'm surprised that hasn't been MENTIONED.I thought it was. What else does this mean then?
Until they are bashing each other's heads on the bar counter at Spago's, then no it won't.

Rafter
02-14-2012, 04:44 AM

:lol: Love it! So true.

To me this rivalry doesn't come close to the Brian's, Witt/Thomas, Etc.

attyfan
02-14-2012, 04:51 AM
For me this rivalry is up there with Yags vs Plush and Irina vs Michelle. It will definitely go down in history, whether you like it or not.

I TA that the V/M and D/W rivalry is historic ... who would have thought that the rivals for top honors in ice dance would be two North American teams? I just don't think it is better than all the other great rivalries, such as Yags/Plush, Kwan and ....[Lipinski, Slute, etc.]

love_skate2011
02-14-2012, 06:40 AM
No. not in every disciplines at all.
maybe in ice dance for the 21st century

briancoogaert
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
No.
IMO, there's no rivalry since both teams are fabulous and judges just chose the one they want. Ice dancing judging system is really too subjective.