PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

oleada
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I thought Hutcherson did a good job looking at Katniss adoringly, especially in the second half when he believed she was reciprocating. There wasn't chemistry per se, but to me that fits, because the entire lack of chemistry was coming from Katniss, as it should. She's playing a part.

Lawrence was beyond spectacular. Oscar-quality, if the Academy ever really nominated people for these sorts of performances.

I loved it. They adapted it very faithfully. Yes, it was sanitized. Both Glimmer and Cato's deaths were not at all as gruesome as in the books, though they were still a little cringe-worthy. Rue's death had me sobbing, as it should - both actresses nailed it there.

I'm going to see it several more times I'm sure :lol: Although I do think an R version would have been better and nailed it home completely, I can understand why they did it PG-13.

Can I just ditto everything? :lol: Lawrence was fabulous. I wish she'd get more recognition for this which she probably wont. She's just great.

I saw an interview about how she peed in the woods because she didn't want to use the porta potties because they were gross :lol:

michiruwater
03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I think that was the Letterman interview :lol:

She's gotten a ton of recognition. Every positive review is focused on how good she was, and every negative review I've seen takes time to mention how totally fabulous she is. The consensus seems to be that she absolutely made the film, which I agree with.

rfisher
03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Hmmm...well, these reviews confirm what I suspected. I'll just wait for this to hit HBO or Showtime. I didn't like any of the books well enough to reread them much less keep them and I'll just save the money for the cost of the movie for something else.

michiruwater
03-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Ebay has a pretty fabulous Hunger Games sweepstakes (http://cc.ebay.com/hungergames) going on that's free to enter right now. You don't need an Ebay account to enter. I can't imagine what I would buy with $1000 for Ebay.

cruisin
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
I saw an interview about how she peed in the woods because she didn't want to use the porta potties because they were gross :lol:

I love it! I've done the same thing, for the same reason! :lol:

Artemis@BC
03-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Lawrence is so non-Hollywood. I love her for it. In every interview I've ever seen she's completely honest and funny. She doesn't sound like her team prepped her at all, which is refreshing. She just says whatever she feels is true. The Letterman interview was absolutely hilarious, and Letterman's reaction was priceless. You could tell how much he enjoyed having a celebrity he could just chat with and how effortlessly charming and blunt she was about everything.

Winter's Bone is the film she was Oscar-nominated for. It's gut-wrenching and hard to watch, but her performance is absolutely riveting. It's also available to watch instantly on Netflix :)

Lawrence is so fabulous in so many ways, she's the main reason I'm going to actually see this film on the big screen (a realative rarity for me).

Haven't seen the Letterman interview yet (next stop, YouTube!) ... but I was amused by this story (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jennifer-lawrence-emailed-kristen-stewart-over-supposed-feud-2012153). I hope Lawrence is able to still keep it real after what will no doubt be months, if not years, of paparatzi dogging her every move.

Artemis@BC
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Ok, here's the Letterman interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjYeVIXCXxQ).

:lol:

Sounds like her childhood was excellent training for being in The Hunger Games!

BigB08822
03-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Going to see it tonight at 10:20!!! :cheer:

Buzz
03-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Saw it and loved it! Fantastic movie and based on an original idea too. LOL

kwanatic
03-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Ok, here's the Letterman interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjYeVIXCXxQ).

:lol:

Sounds like her childhood was excellent training for being in The Hunger Games!

LMAO!!:lol::lol:

Okay, I'm officially a fan of her's now and I haven't even seen the movie yet! She is effing hilarious!! :rofl: She's self-deprecating but in a really funny way. I'm about to search YouTube looking for more interviews! Just her personality is entertaining enough for me. :D

rjblue
03-24-2012, 02:41 AM
I just returned from it, and I thought it was a really good adaptation. I'm relieved that the suffering during the dog attack was toned down- I was really dreading it. The hand held camera work bothered one of the people with me.

The soundtrack was great. And I love the final song on the credits, written and performed by The Civil Wars.

Some in our audience held up their arms in a salute during a few scenes in the movie.

mikey
03-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Took time out of my vacation in the USVI to see this today. I thought the book was good, but I really liked the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was incredible, and it was awesome to see Wes Bentley back on screen too. Well done. I think rfisher is making a mistake :-)

Marge_Simpson
03-24-2012, 04:07 AM
I was totally blown away. I've never, NEVER, had such a visceral reaction to a film before.
I'm still digesting what I saw and cannot possibly do any kind of review - except to say, if you read the book, you MUST see this film.
Some levity: I got to the theatre, one of those huge movieplexes, about 40 minutes before the film started. I figured there was apt to be a long line and I didn't want to get stuck sitting too close to the screen. But I walked right inside and there were only about 10 people lined up outside the door. Several minutes later a group of about 20 loud, whiny 20-something females showed up and proceded to argue with the staff people outside the door. They claimed they'd been waiting outside the theatre for 2 hours and deserved to go to the front of the line. The rest of us thought this was ridiculous and said so; they should have walked right in like we had. And there weren't very many of us on line, so they should get behind us and stop grumbling. They whined that it wasn't fair.
I don't know what possessed me: I said, loudly, "Well, we are from District One, so we have priority. You are from District Twelve and you should be used to injustice!"
The people ahead of me on line laughed appreciatively and said, "Yeah! What she said! Start an uprising!"
The people behind me scowled. :lol:

Oh, half the theatre (including me) was sobbing hysterically when Rue died, it was like some chain reaction. :(

Nell411
03-24-2012, 04:57 AM
I just returned from it, and I thought it was a really good adaptation. I'm relieved that the suffering during the dog attack was toned down- I was really dreading it. The hand held camera work bothered one of the people with me.

The soundtrack was great. And I love the final song on the credits, written and performed by The Civil Wars.

Some in our audience held up their arms in a salute during a few scenes in the movie.

I thought the end credits song was by Arcade Fire?

Spareoom
03-24-2012, 05:00 AM
I adore Jen. She is the perfect Katniss and a wonderful human being. She seems to have the right kind of attitude and sense of humor that will allow her to weather the storm of fame and publicity that comes with a big franchise like this.

So, I saw the movie last night! :D I totally agree with a poster in the page previous that the camera work was really shaky and made it super hard for me to focus. My eyes don't do so well with that on the big screen so it got really disorienting at times. I'm sure once the movie is out on DVD it won't be so bad because smaller screens shouldn't make the shakiness as bad. But I wish they'd used a stable camera more. :p

The movie definitely has a different feel from the book, but that was inevitable since it would be almost impossible to translate Katniss's perspective to the big screen. So the movie is different, but I think it was done pretty much as well as it could have been. I thought the chariot scene and costumes were SPOT ON (the District 12 outfits were way better than I imagined; they were amazing); I just wish we could have seen more of the other tributes. I also loved Peeta's camouflage; I thought that would get dropped for sure and I loved how they did it. And Jen as Katniss; can't say much there. Her acting was incredible.

A couple things that I noticed that were changed/left out that make me curious as to how Catching Fire will be adapted:

1. They don't have Peeta figuring out that it was all an act! Hmm. And the movie makes it clear that Katniss is pretty much manipulating him in the cave out of compassion and strategy, not love. Since Peeta's subsequent disillusionment plays a BIG part in Catching Fire, I'm wondering how they plan on doing that? For a non-book reader, it will be odd to go from fairly lovey-dovey Peeta to, "Oh, you were just acting...that stinks, because I really do like you" and see how his demeanor changes.
2. Peeta's fake leg! I guess he doesn't lose it in the movies. It's not the BIGGEST deal ever; it's not a big plot point except when his unsteadiness with the prosthetic causes some incidents (falling in the snow in District 12 and then his inability to navigate the jungles of the arena well because of all the vines).
3. Not a whisper of a mention of District 13. I know they still have plenty of time to set this up, but seems like they could have put a small mention of it in there.

I know there's more but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.