PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

susan6
03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Given that the first "Alien" movie was made back in 1979, I think you can handle the "graphic" alien-chest-bust scene. ;) Graphics are way more realistic now, so if you can handle the run of the mill "ewww" you see on television you should be okay.

The most awesome thing about the Alien "chest-burster" scene? The actors (aside from the "victim") had NO CLUE what was about to occur. The director wanted authentic reaction shots. The lady with the short blonde hair actually had hysterics, and one of the big guys had to spend the rest of the day calming down in his room because his heart was going crazy.

Anita18
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Given that the first "Alien" movie was made back in 1979, I think you can handle the "graphic" alien-chest-bust scene. ;) Graphics are way more realistic now, so if you can handle the run of the mill "ewww" you see on television you should be okay.
I am often a bit :eek: at by what is allowed to be shown on CSI nowadays. :shuffle:

And ratings were weird back then! The Temple of Doom IIRC was PG so I was like, ":yikes: JEEZUS CHRIST!" when they showed Alfred Molina impaled in the face multiple times. Was NOT prepared for that! :lol:

From what I understand, Alien is more scary/tense than it is gory. I have come across it on TV but couldn't bear even the long tracking shots inside the ship and had to change the channel. :lol:

"Prometheus" looks like it's going to be pretty awesome, although I'm still a little iffy on the details of what happens. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. ;)
How can you not? It's RIDLEY SCOTT coming back to sci-fi after DECADES! :cheer:

The most awesome thing about the Alien "chest-burster" scene? The actors (aside from the "victim") had NO CLUE what was about to occur. The director wanted authentic reaction shots. The lady with the short blonde hair actually had hysterics, and one of the big guys had to spend the rest of the day calming down in his room because his heart was going crazy.
From Wikipedia, the actors knew that an alien would be coming out of the victim (practical effects, so they had to have a puppeteer under the table maneuvering the thing), but they didn't know there would be that much blood flying out. :rofl:

MacMadame
03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
When I was pregnant with my first child, I had nightmares about it bursting through my chest like that. :shuffle:

PRlady
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM
It's PG-13, it won't be THAT bad. :P

I mean they'll obviously have to show some dead people, but as long as there's no gore...:lol:

But I know what you mean. I want to find out the rating for Prometheus before committing to see it in theaters. :shuffle: I still haven't seen the first Alien in its entirety, even if my friend claims it's not that gory aside from the chestburster. :o

I've never seen Alien. :shuffle: Or that Pandora whatever movie from a few years back. Everyone who knows me warns me off these things and I listen.

As for Hunger Games, I'm almost at the end of the last book and didn't think it so bad. The first book is the best, of course, but that's typical. I still think the author has dreamed up 101 ways of killing people and I'm not so curious to see it on the screen. Although Jennifer Lawrence is getting really good reviews.

michiruwater
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
The movie's gotten very good reviews, though Jennifer Lawrence is (unsurprisingly) the focus of many of them. I just bought my ticket. I'm going to regret this when I'm dead tired tomorrow and trying to teach, but oh well ;)

Mozart
03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
I now have tickets for the 12:01 showing which is now sold out and they added a 12:15 showing. I am going to be dead tired tomorrow too michiru but at least I have an all day elementary music inservice. I have done the party till 3:30 and teach all the next day thing and it didn't work very successfully

Mozart
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
it's 14a in Canada

michiruwater
03-22-2012, 11:26 PM
I have to actually teach all day tomorrow :shuffle: Oh well though. Half my Concert Winds are going tonight anyway so we'll all be stupid in 4th hour.

Mozart
03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
woohoo! Loud band instruments when exhausted!

Mozart
03-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I wish I could figure out how to unsubscribe from the Hunger Games site I signed up at. I got put into District 8, btw. I keep getting email from President Snow, and now that the movie is about to open, I am getting messages from Seneca Crane as well. Oh, well, he will be dead soon. :lol:

I'm from District 4

oleada
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
I am soooo pumped! I have tomorrow off so I can really enjoy it.

Spareoom
03-23-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm here at the theater...we weren't going to show up till now but there were already people in line by six so we showed up at 7. Luckily our theater lets us exit and reenter as needed so we're taking turns getting dinner. Apparently there will be another showing at 3am after this one gets out...that just boggles the mind. If you can't make the first showing, you might as well wait till the next day, lol.

Apparently a friend of a friend has been in line since 8am today. 8-0.

Marge_Simpson
03-23-2012, 05:42 AM
At work tonight I mentioned that I'm seeing the film on Friday. My coworkers already think I'm nuts; this was just more proof as far as they are concerned. They are convinced I will be the only person in the theatre over the age of 16.
But I don't care; I'm totally psyched to see it.
Please post reviews!

Mozart
03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
OMG I just got out of the 12:01 Atlantic time showing and I loved it! So great! I felt a little queazy at times because of the camera work but it was an awesome movie. I have an inservice in the morning so I must go to bed but I will write review tomorrow! I saw so mnay of my students (I teach elementary) there though. Was shocked their parents would let them stay up this late on a school night

oleada
03-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I thought it was very good. I normally hate adaptations of books I love, but I think they did an excellent job. Jennifer Lawrence was great. I wanna see it again already :p

I don't think Josh Hutcherson is charming enough, though.