PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Artemis@BC
03-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Just saw that Battle Royale is playing at an arthouse theatre on Fridays this month ...

I also see that the Battle Royale "Collection" is being released on DVD/BluRay on Thursday. I can't do subtitles on the big screen -- aside from the visual distance between the text and the action, I need to have the option to rewind if I miss anything.

rjblue
03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
. If I do will I regret it like after I read Twlight (I wanted to poke my eyes out after reading that book).No. You might be disappointed by the third book, but The Hunger Games is a fast, easy, entertaining read. I couldn't read more than a page of Twilight.

michiruwater
03-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Twilight is revoltingly terrible.

The Hunger Games has some grammatical issues, and some plot issues as well, but there's no comparison to the utter piece of tripe that is Twilight. It's way more mature and significantly better-paced. Not to mention that Katniss is a great heroine and Bella is possibly the worst heroine I have ever encountered.

I haven't really met anyone who hated THG the way so many people hate Twilight.

Matryeshka
03-21-2012, 02:37 AM
I have objections to how the story ended, but Suzanne Collins overall is a MUCH better writer than Stephenie Meyers. She also soundly trounces Meyers in the creating a believable unbelievable world.

IIRC, they do have one thing in common--both writers originally intended for their books to be duets, and were encouraged (in Meyer's case, I believe the correct verb would be 'strong-armed') by their publishers to string the story out.

michiruwater
03-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Really? That surprises me because of Collins' background as a playwright or screenplay-writer, can't remember which. What I do remember is that she carefully plans her story out over 3 Acts, with 9 chapters each for 27 chapters, so I'm a little baffled to hear that she let a company encourage her into stringing out the story longer than she intended. Though, I can see how the second two books would have been better if they'd been shorter and combined. Did they make her add Gale, too, or was that her idea? I still think Gale's a completely unnecessary character.

PrincessLeppard
03-21-2012, 05:08 AM
He had to provide the love triangle. And even though he's unnecessary, I still prefer to the useless and dull Peeta. :P

genevieve
03-21-2012, 07:12 AM
I also see that the Battle Royale "Collection" is being released on DVD/BluRay on Thursday. I can't do subtitles on the big screen -- aside from the visual distance between the text and the action, I need to have the option to rewind if I miss anything.

funny - I can't do subtitles on the computer, too small to read the writing! (I don't have a dvd player hooked up to my tv anymore)

Artemis@BC
03-21-2012, 04:11 PM
funny - I can't do subtitles on the computer, too small to read the writing! (I don't have a dvd player hooked up to my tv anymore)

Ah yes, I can see how that would be challenge. I however have a 42 inch TV (that I got for free!) and BluRay, which has seriously decreased my attentance at the movie theatres. I mean, when you can watch a movie in your pjs with a drink of your choice and a cat curled up on your chest ... why would you ever want to go out?

(Yoiks I feel old!)

genevieve
03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
ew.com has a great series of Hunger Games movie posters reimagined for different directors: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20419951_20579776,00.html

I think my favorites are Christopher Nolan ("Brunette Actress as Katniss") and Hitchcock.

They also snuck a poster of Battle Royale in there which made me laugh :HA!:

michiruwater
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
The juxtaposition of the Malick one and then the Herzog one made me LMAO.

But I laughed way harder at the Battle Royale poster. Well done, EW. Well done.

genevieve
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
nice job on the PIXAR and Michael Bay ones too

avivadawn
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm planning to go to the Midnight Showing Thursday night....if there are still tickets available. :D

PRlady
03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I admit I finally downloaded the first book last week. It was a fast and really entertaining read, am now halfway through book 2. However, squeamish person that I am, I'm not going to see the movie until I find out just how gross it is. :scream:

Anita18
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
I admit I finally downloaded the first book last week. It was a fast and really entertaining read, am now halfway through book 2. However, squeamish person that I am, I'm not going to see the movie until I find out just how gross it is. :scream:
It's PG-13, it won't be THAT bad. :P

I mean they'll obviously have to show some dead people, but as long as there's no gore...:lol:

But I know what you mean. I want to find out the rating for Prometheus before committing to see it in theaters. :shuffle: I still haven't seen the first Alien in its entirety, even if my friend claims it's not that gory aside from the chestburster. :o

kwanatic
03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
It's PG-13, it won't be THAT bad. :P

I mean they'll obviously have to show some dead people, but as long as there's no gore...:lol:

But I know what you mean. I want to find out the rating for Prometheus before committing to see it in theaters. :shuffle: I still haven't seen the first Alien in its entirety, even if my friend claims it's not that gory aside from the chestburster. :o

Given that the first "Alien" movie was made back in 1979, I think you can handle the "graphic" alien-chest-bust scene. ;) Graphics are way more realistic now, so if you can handle the run of the mill "ewww" you see on television you should be okay.

"Alien" is a great movie but, far and away, "Aliens" is probably the best sequel ever created. James Cameron took the helm for it and built upon what Ridley Scott created...I was less than a year old when the movie came out (1986) but even today, it is my favorite sci-fi/action movie. It has a bit of gore but it's worth it! It's an amazing movie...

I never really saw the third one but people say it was pretty decent (nothing compared to the first two) and the 4th one is gratuitously gore-filled -- a giant FAIL in the franchise. But the first two are golden and if you like the sci-fi genre, they're must sees.

"Prometheus" looks like it's going to be pretty awesome, although I'm still a little iffy on the details of what happens. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Back OT, I'm a bit more eager to see "Hunger Games" now. I really enjoyed the book and the reviews are making me think they've done the story justice. I'll probably wait to see it until next weekend...once some of the feverish excitement dies down a bit. I don't want to deal with super-crowded theaters and overly excited people...I really wish I could just watch it On-Demand on my TV at home to be honest.