PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

michiruwater
02-16-2012, 01:53 AM
I prefer TG's explanation :P

Theatregirl1122
02-16-2012, 04:54 AM
Either that or Collins thought she should kill somebody to add drama.

She'd already killed somebodies. That we actually did care about.

Marge_Simpson
02-16-2012, 05:38 AM
In the first paragraph of the first page of the first book, Katniss reaches out for Prim and her hand comes away empty. If that isn't foreshadowing; I don't know what is. ;)

vesperholly
02-16-2012, 06:55 AM
I always thought the point of this was less that we were supposed to feel sad about Prim herself and more that the effect was supposed to be in what happened to Katniss. Katniss did all of this, went into the arena, played along with the capitol, went into the arena again, ignited a revolution, etc. etc. etc. to save Prim. And in the end, the whole world changed but she still lost Prim. So it's sort of about the futility of it all, rather than about Prim herself.

... I never thought about it that way. :shuffle: Obviously I am long past my years of thinking about books critically!

LOTS of somebodies! :mad:

PrincessLeppard
02-16-2012, 11:57 AM

The thing is, Prim had been absent from the book for so long at that point, and it was handled in such a clumsy manner (my sister didn't even realize Prim was dead until it was mentioned later) that it lost any impact it might've had otherwise. That's why it feels just sort of "tossed in." Oh, hey, I need something DRAMATIK to happen here! Let's kill Prim! And then Katniss can pass out again!

In the first paragraph of the first page of the first book, Katniss reaches out for Prim and her hand comes away empty. If that isn't foreshadowing; I don't know what is. ;)

I read the books as they came out, so I have zero recollection of what was on the first page of the first book. I would buy it as foreshadowing if I thought Collins had any clue how Mockingjay was going to end. Or be "plotted." ;)

rfisher
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
The thing is, Prim had been absent from the book for so long at that point, and it was handled in such a clumsy manner (my sister didn't even realize Prim was dead until it was mentioned later) that it lost any impact it might've had otherwise. That's why it feels just sort of "tossed in." Oh, hey, I need something DRAMATIK to happen here! Let's kill Prim! And then Katniss can pass out again!

I read the books as they came out, so I have zero recollection of what was on the first page of the first book. I would buy it as foreshadowing if I thought Collins had any clue how Mockingjay was going to end. Or be "plotted." ;)

This. I promptly gave all my copies to the local library, albeit the 3rd book was bit battered after being thrown around a good bit, so the movie will be brand new. I knew without a doubt I'd never reread any of the books multiple times.

Spareoom
02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Finnick. :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

kwanatic
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
I always thought the point of this was less that we were supposed to feel sad about Prim herself and more that the effect was supposed to be in what happened to Katniss. Katniss did all of this, went into the arena, played along with the capitol, went into the arena again, ignited a revolution, etc. etc. etc. to save Prim. And in the end, the whole world changed but she still lost Prim. So it's sort of about the futility of it all, rather than about Prim herself.

You know, that's the same thing my cousin said when I asked her about it. She did it all for Prim, to protect her, and in the end she ends up losing her anyway. I definitely get the point of her death. I guess the execution was a wee bit sloppy b/c it did sort of happen all of a sudden and just like that everything was over.

Finnick. :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Yeah, now that did suck. For that one I was like, "No! No, no, aww dammit!!" :)

ChelleC
02-18-2012, 03:50 AM
That means you'll side with PL and me. :D

Yep, I'm thinking I probably will. :lol:

I've finished it. Not a bad book, but not one I'm going to pick up a read again like I have the HP books.

Matryeshka
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd never heard of Battle Royale until this thread, and I think there's a good chance Suzanne Collins hadn't either. I don't think a dystopian society in the future where kids are forced to kill other kids is all that original. But then, I don't care that much about originality; I care about execution. Harry Potter was not that original in its main idea--boy discovers he's a wizard and goes off to wizard school.

Suzanne Collins--epic FAIL in execution. And the worst of the kills was the complete character asassination of Katniss, who went from an awesome, take-charge adult to a whiny, easily led shell of an adult.

kwanatic
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Suzanne Collins--epic FAIL in execution. And the worst of the kills was the complete character asassination of Katniss, who went from an awesome, take-charge adult to a whiny, easily led shell of an adult.

Again, I cite trauma:shuffle:. Some characters grow harder through adversity, toughen up so to speak; Katniss comes apart at the seams a little bit but still has enough fight left in her to finish it out. She's not as tough at the end b/c her life experiences have worn her down. I get that. Even though I would have liked her to go all Ripley and turn into an ass-kicking machine:D, it makes sense to me. I definitely have a thing for tougher female character and, in a sense, Katniss does "man up" and make some things happen. But ultimately, her psyche wasn't strong enough to go unscathed after all she went through.

I just compare her to a character like Bella and can't help but think that in terms of development Katniss is lightyears beyond Bella, who literally stayed the exact same throughout all 4 of those terrible books...no growth whatsoever. I appreciate Collins trying to inject a bit of reality into the series by breaking Katniss in the last book, even though in the ideal situation she'd be all superwoman-ish. She could have gone either way to be honest...in situations of adversity people either stand tough or crumble and Katniss crumbled a bit.

Marge_Simpson
03-03-2012, 04:32 AM
So, has anyone read "The Hunger Pains"?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunger-Pains-Harvard-Lampoon/dp/1451668201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330748386&sr=8-1
I borrowed it from the library and it's fairly amusing.
Who is planning to see the film when it opens? I already bought a ticket. :P

Spareoom
03-03-2012, 06:16 AM
I bought my ticket yesterday on Fandango, and got a free iTunes download of Tomorrow Will Be Kinder by the Secret Sisters for my troubles. :D A whole group of us are going to the midnight showing in IMAX at our local AMC...egad, were the tickets expensive, but thank goodness for saving up ticket deals and discounts for times like this.

I saw The Hunger Pains at Target today and I flipped through it and was highly amused from just a few paragraphs. I went ahead and put it on hold at the library; it should be a fun read!

Marge_Simpson
03-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I wish I could figure out how to unsubscribe from the Hunger Games site I signed up at. I got put into District 8, btw. I keep getting email from President Snow, and now that the movie is about to open, I am getting messages from Seneca Crane as well. Oh, well, he will be dead soon. :lol:

michiruwater
03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
There's probably something to click on at the bottom of the e-mails that allows you to unsubscribe.