PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

Buzz
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I have actually read all three books.

Artemis@BC
05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
^ The "you" in my post wasn't directed specifically at you ... it was just less pretentious sounding than saying "if one hasn't the books ..." ;)

Buzz
05-11-2012, 12:00 AM
:blocjudge

danceronice
05-11-2012, 03:18 AM
....The National Geographic channel just ran a commercial for the National Geography Bee finals, and ended it with "May the geographic odds be ever in your favor."

I get it, kind of, twelve kids are chosen, only one can win, but...yeah.

MarieM
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM
:lol:

I have bought most of the china glaze line for the Hunger Games. I looooooooove them :)

BigB08822
07-20-2012, 07:51 AM
So I FINALLY finished the entire series. I knew it would take me less than a day to finish Mockingjay once I opened it but it took me over a year just to get to that point. I started the book the about 2:00 pm on Wednesday and was done by the same time on Thursday.

Why is this book so hated? I expected to be hating myself for even reading it based on what some people have said.

Is it:

Is it because she ends up with Peeta?
Is it because she doesn't get to kill President Snow herself?
Is it because she originally voted for another Hunger Games

The last one actually bothered me...a LOT...and it was just kind of ignored which bothered me too but not enough to ruin the book.

Or is it something else?

Nevermind, I went through this very thread and read a lot of the spoiler tags that I avoided before. I wish I had not read them because honestly, the book sucks and now I realize it. :lol:

Buzz
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
For me a lot of stuff in that last book don't make much logical sense. I'm not gonna bother restating exactly why i do not like the book much, instead i would rather others read it and come to their own conclusions. But I will say that the epilogue is the very best part of the book. IMVHO

vesperholly
07-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I didn't hate the last book, though I read it at the speed of light the first time. But it did feel hastily written and kind of spitballed together - if you look closely, it gets worse. The second book was so well done (I am a sucker and did NOT see the tribute twist coming), I thought the wrap up was going to be spectacular.

What bothered me the most was how Katniss kept getting knocked out and we never got to experience the actual action. Her PTSD didn't bother me because it was consistent with the experiences.

Icetalavista
07-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Probably because Mockingjay didn't have an actual Games in it to focus action around, it seemed to meander and lack focus. that's the main thing that bothered me. I should reread it to give it another chance.

PrincessLeppard
07-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Why torment yourself that way?

;)

martian_girl
07-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I didn't hate the last book, though I read it at the speed of light the first time. But it did feel hastily written and kind of spitballed together - if you look closely, it gets worse. The second book was so well done (I am a sucker and did NOT see the tribute twist coming), I thought the wrap up was going to be spectacular.

What bothered me the most was how Katniss kept getting knocked out and we never got to experience the actual action. Her PTSD didn't bother me because it was consistent with the experiences.

This was kind of my problem with the last book, too. There were a lot of things that were great and authentic about it, but I felt like it needed to be a less rushed toward the end. Maybe another 50 pages would have done the trick.

manhn
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Finally watched the movie with my nephews this past Black Friday weekend--really enjoyed it, and think skaters should skate to the music. Got me interested in borrowing the books. Just finished the first book. Can I say I am utterly enthralled with Peeta? LOVE. HIM.

I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks. But I will read it. I have to start the second one now, although it's past midnight...

Habs
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks.

I didn't dislike it.... :shuffle:

Artemis@BC
11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks.

It didn't suck. It just wasn't perfect. It felt as though it had been rushed to publication to capture on the popularity, without giving the author time to fully iron out all the kinks. So not the ideal way to end the trilogy, but it wasn't terrible at all.

Now a lot of übers thought the very ending/epiloge did suck (think Team Peeta vs. Team Gale) ... but that's a whole 'nother issue.

LilJen
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I had heard that the author planned only two books but the publisher forced her into #3. So that'd be one reason Mockingjay wasn't as good or didn't "feel" right.