PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kasey
04-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Damn Mockingjay!!

Buzz
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I loathe Twilight!!!! And I hope the whole love triangle thing is not an issue with the other movies, if it is I will just wait until they appear on OnDemand. With that said, I read one if the reasons Ross does not want to return is he feels they are rushing too much to finish the movie. The rush is partly because Jennifer Lawrence is contracted to be in the next X-Men movie. Told ya they should have put Furhman in the role of Katniss! :P

danceronice
04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I loathe Twilight!!!! And I hope the whole love triangle thing is not an issue with the other movies, if it is I will just wait until they appear on OnDemand. With that said, I read one if the reasons Ross does not want to return is he feels they are rushing too much to finish the movie.

It's not a HUGE issue in the books (at least not in the way it was in Twilight*) so I don't see why it would be in the films.

I was not a fan of Curaon with "Prisoner of Azkaban" so I can live without him here, too. (He wasted too much time on being cutesy and artsy alternately while cutting out most of the important plot and backstory from the book.)

But even he would be better than Catherine Hardwicke. Okay, she did a good job as production designer on "Tombstone" but that's all the credit I'll give. The first Twilight is a terrible movie even without taking into account the bad book it's from and listening to her squee like a fangirl about the whole thing makes it worse and makes me not want her anywhere near HG.

*Note I am basing this mostly off having seen New Moon and Eclipse and having read the first book. The middle two movies aren't bad, the first was execrable, made worse by not having Michael Sheen Michael-Sheening all oveer the place (the man clearly loves any opportunity to chew scenery.)

emason
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I was not a fan of Curaon with "Prisoner of Azkaban" so I can live without him here, too.

See now, of the HP movies I have seen (disclaimer: not all of them), I think Cuaron's is far and away the best.

I also think his Little Princess is an absolute masterpiece, so I say thumbs up to him from me.

danceronice
04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
See now, of the HP movies I have seen (disclaimer: not all of them), I think Cuaron's is far and away the best.

I also think his Little Princess is an absolute masterpiece, so I say thumbs to him from me.

Haven't seen the latter. I think he wasted way too much time with PoA on things like the Knight Bus and not enough on things like who the Marauders were and why Harry's patronus is a stag--that's the film where if you haven't read the book you basically miss all the important parts. Which I realize isn't entirely his fault as he didn't write the script, but....

MacMadame
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM

I also think his Little Princess is an absolute masterpiece, so I say thumbs to him from me.

I agree. I know some HP purists who want the movies to stick the books don't like his PoA but I love how he made a movie that stands on its own as a movie while keeping to the spirit of the book. It's my favorite HP movie.

And I agree about his Little Princess too.

He just has a great touch when it comes to these so-called "childrens" books that appeal to more than children.

genevieve
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I think you loath BAD CGI, right? Because with good CGI, you technically aren't supposed to know it's being used. ;)

maybe you're not supposed to, but you generally can always tell it's there.

I will admit - the CGI on the flames during the chariot ride could have been better. But I dislike heavy CGI films...I'd rather see old school special effects, even if the wires sometimes show ;)

The Accordion
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
...I'd rather see old school special effects, even if the wires sometimes show ;)

:cheer: Give me puppet Yoda any day over CGI Yoda!

genevieve
04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Can you imagine what Raiders of the Lost Ark would look like if it was made today?!?

danceronice
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Can you imagine what Raiders of the Lost Ark would look like if it was made today?!?

:eek::yikes::scream:

I hate CGI. Okay, I don't HATE it, I hate it when movies rely on it to the point you can't think of anything but how unrealistic the animals look (George and Steven) or how fake the backgrounds look (George) or when you can really tell that the actors are talking to tennis balls on sticks (GEORGE!) One thing I loved about J.J. Abrams's "Star Trek" is they went with as many physical sets and in-film visual tricks as possible so it deliberately wouldn't look like actors on a green screen talking to tennis balls. I think one reason the CGI flames are a little off (besides that perhaps they wanted the in-story fake fire to look like fake fire) is it's one scene where a LOT of the background is clearly CGI as well so the whole suspension of disbelief is off.

Oh, God...my worst nightmare for director: George Lucas. Thank God he's not really directing any more. I love me some Star Wars, and he did somewhat redeem himself with Revenge of the Sith, but oh lord, that would be bad.

Buzz
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
What about Steven Soderberg? I just read he did the riot scene so he is not unfamiliar with the movie. I like CGI but too much of a good thing... Wrath of the Titans had all kinds of special effects but very little in way of storyline.

Buzz
04-12-2012, 01:46 AM
Here is an article which talks about the conflict between X-Men and Catching Fire.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hunger-games-x-men-gary-ross-directing-jennifer-lawrence-311018

danceronice
04-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Um, i think you missed a link there, Buzz.

Buzz
04-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Sorry fixed that. :slinkaway

Buzz
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh my! The price of fame. LOL Alexander Ludwig ( a.k.a. Cato) was seen leaving an 21 & over bar so now the bar is under investigation. Oops...
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/12/hunger-games-star-sparks-underage-drinking-investigation