PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

genevieve
04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I thought she did end up with Peeta in the end? And I don't remember Katniss voting for a new Hunger Games at all :confused: Sigh...y'all are going to make me reread the 2nd and 3rd books, aren't you?

apparently I was unconscious for half the third book too

Skittl1321
04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought she did end up with Peeta in the end? And I don't remember Katniss voting for a new Hunger Games at all :confused: Sigh...y'all are going to make me reread the 2nd and 3rd books, aren't you?

apparently I was unconscious for half the third book too

She definitely voted for the new Hunger Games.

Her ending up with Peeta is a huge cop-out, even more so than the epilogue to Harry Potter. There is NOTHING telling us HOW she ended up with Peeta it just states that she is with him. And years down the road (did they say 10 or 15?) she agrees to have kids because he wants them.

She never really has closure with Gale either. He's in a different district when she comes conscious (again) and that's that.

I get in the Peeta vs. Gale, she would have gone with Peeta. She could never forgive Gale for what happened to Prim, even if he wasn't the direct reason for it. I also think that the last book shows that she has more than just a fondness for Peeta, but the reader doesn't get anything about how they came together as a couple. And Peeta vs. Gale is so simplified- there is the "neither/'other" and the "neither/nobody" option too. Write another book if you can't fit the information in! Don't just say "oh yeah, btw, this happened. I couldn't think of a reason to knock Katniss out again so she wakes up with it happening, so I'll just mention it now." Is Katniss even 18 when the last book ends? Does she have to have met her life partner by then? (And that's from someone who liked the books. The third was probably the most poignant for me. I wish they had told us what Finnick's kid was named...)

genevieve
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
yeah in general I think it would be way more realistic that years down the road if Katniss was with anyone it would be neither of those guys. But I guess in the YA world, a "happily ever after" with someone you knew as a child is required :rolleyes:

I think I really was knocked out for book 3 - I don't remember a new hunger games at all!

Ladida
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
After I saw the movie I started to read the second and third book. I have to admit I really like the plot of the third one, but I kind of feel that some writer of better experience could pull it way better. And the epilogue...sometimes it's better not to tell to much...
I think Katniss loved only Prim, I'm not convinced from the books she loved Gale or Peeta. She liked them but that's all.

vesperholly
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I think I really was knocked out for book 3 - I don't remember a new hunger games at all!

My interpretation was that Katniss was trying to figure out if Coin was really an improvement or just another dictator like Snow. When Coin presented the idea of another Hunger Games, I think that's when Katniss made up her mind that it was the same regime, new faces, and that's why she killed Coin instead of Snow.

kwanatic
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
She never really has closure with Gale either. He's in a different district when she comes conscious (again) and that's that.

That was one of the parts I didn't like. Her relationship with Gale is completely left hanging . All we hear is that he's living in another district...did she ever see him again? What were her feelings towards him? That and several other things were left as a big ? at the end.

To me, the third book ended rather abruptly. It wasn't throw-your-book-across-the-room terrible to me, but I do think it ended in a rush and a lot of open-ended issues were left wide open.

Her ending up with Peeta is a huge cop-out, even more so than the epilogue to Harry Potter.

Care to elaborate? :D

I thought the epilogue was fine. Everything regarding Harry and Voldemort had been resolved in the final battle. There were no issues regarding the story to cop out of that I can recall; Rowling managed to close every question she opened which is hella impressive given the volume of storylines in those seven books.

Maybe the 19 year lapse without an outline of what all happened in that time left you upset? It would have been cool to get details but I didn't think that was very important. I'm just curious as to why you saw the epilogue as a cop out...not picking, just curious. :)

Buzz
04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I am totally happy with Katniss ending up with Peeta and Gale disappearing from view at the end. I have read enough WW2 memoirs to know this is very realistic. The books does mention that Peeta would take care of Katniss if the situation was reversed and she was the one who was hijacked. So when the book said that after he is released the first thing he does is return home and befriend her again I find that a very Peeta thing to do. It also said they grow closer again over time and eventually became a couple.

Skittl1321
04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Care to elaborate? :D

Maybe the 19 year lapse without an outline of what all happened in that time left you upset?

Maybe cop-out isn't the right word for HP, but just stupidness... I think that book would have ended much better in the current time. The epilogue was just too "everything is perfect, all the characters are so happy, and everyone is together with their true love" It didn't fit the tone at all. It didn't even seem like it was written by the same author.

I guess the connection that I was trying to make was the Hunger Games epilogue was too rosy, and again- we are left without anything telling us how they got there.

genevieve
04-09-2012, 10:04 PM
.... and that's why she killed Coin instead of Snow.
ok, THAT I remember (phew!)

MacMadame
04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I didn't mind her ending up with Peeta but I would have been just as happy if Peeta had met a nice girl who really loved him and settled down and had kids with him and Katniss was the crazy maiden aunt who still went hunting and was perfectly happy being alone.

I'm not sure how realistic that last one was though. Because the war really damaged both Peeta and Katniss and I think, in the end, that made them fit only for each other. No one else could have understood damaged-Peeta and also it gave them a bond that most people don't have. I've often read that soldiers feel closer to their platoon-mates than their families when they come back from war and I think Peeta and Katniss were more platoon-mates than lovers.

Buzz
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure how realistic that last one was though. Because the war really damaged both Peeta and Katniss and I think, in the end, that made them fit only for each other. No one else could have understood damaged-Peeta and also it gave them a bond that most people don't have. I've often read that soldiers feel closer to their platoon-mates than their families when they come back from war and I think Peeta and Katniss were more platoon-mates than lovers.

^ This! You articulated that much better than I did. I cannot tell you how many holocaust survivor memoirs I have read where they married another survivor. Especially if that person is from the same town.

Jimena
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I didn't mind the Gale disappearance. I recently re-read the three books and she clearly states that when she finds out that Gale has a high profile job in District 2 away from her, what she feels is relief. So her feelings towards him are pretty clear.

About her voting for the last hunger games, she says that before voting she considered everything carefully and decided to vote yes, for Prim. To me that just means that she already knew what she was going to do.

Spareoom
04-09-2012, 11:59 PM
*I* always thought that her closure with Gale came when he was unable to defend himself from being somewhat involved with Prim's death. He knew and she knew that there was no hope after that. No matter how much Katniss cared for Gale, she would NEVER be able to be with him with that nagging thought in the back of her head. Prim was the only person she ever REALLY, truly loved (I think she loved Peeta too but in a very confused way and definitely didn't acknowledge it) and no one connected to Prim's death would ever be good for her again.

Ditto on the whole platoon-mates thing. Peeta loved Katniss even before the Hunger Games and Katniss NEEDED Peeta (the boy with the bread, the dandelion in the spring). Gale and Peeta was right; Katniss ultimately made her choice based on who she needed to survive; and Peeta was that person. Love eventually grew from that (You love me; real or not real? Real.) but yeah, she needed him badly.

Lol, you guys are so fickle. Either the ending is too depressing, or it's too rosy! ;) Sheesh. ;)

Buzz
04-10-2012, 01:42 AM
BTW... The kid that played Marvel is Meg Ryan & Dennis Quaid's son Jack Quiad and it was his very first acting role! :cheer2:

vesperholly
04-10-2012, 03:23 AM
The epilogue was just too "everything is perfect, all the characters are so happy, and everyone is together with their true love" It didn't fit the tone at all. It didn't even seem like it was written by the same author.

IIRC, the epilogue was one of the first things Rowling wrote for the HP series. She was certainly a less developed writer back then.