PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

MacMadame
04-06-2012, 03:23 AM
the only thing that I do know about Panem is that it has got to include bits of Canada and Mexico, not just America

I think so too. Mainly because I think Panem came from Pan-Am short for Pan-America (i.e., all the countries that are included in the Pan-American Games).

Kasey
04-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Just saw the movie today. Damn that scene of Rue's death. I was crying like a baby. And the muttation thingy jumping out from the woods totally freaked me out. I liked Peeta a lot, and thought Harrelson did a good job with Haymitch, although he made him more likeable than I had found him in the book. About a third of the way through reading "Catching Fire" at this point....

michiruwater
04-06-2012, 03:46 AM
I think so too. Mainly because I think Panem came from Pan-Am short for Pan-America (i.e., all the countries that are included in the Pan-American Games).

Collins has stated it came from 'panem et circenses', actually.

MacMadame
04-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Well she's entitled to her opinion. ;)

danceronice
04-06-2012, 04:27 AM

It even gets stated explicitly in "Mockingjay". And panem is Latin for "bread," which also fits with the food theme. The Capitol is also supposed to be based on Rome, complete with vomitoria and the obvious allusion to gladiator games (though the Romans never did anything so colossally stupid and practically guaranteed to piss conquered territories off to the point of rebellion like randomly selecting children for the arena.)

Matryeshka
04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Finally saw the movie today, and it is one of the few movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the massive hype. I must now re-read The Hunger Games. :lol:

MarieM
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
And will you cry again ? ;)

Skittl1321
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I just finished re-reading all three books. I cried. When katniss yells at the cat in the last book.

Buzz
04-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Just finished book two and I must say it is a refreshing change for the girl to be the one who has to rescue the boy. LOL

EDITED TO ADD:
Looks like the director Gary Ross will not be returning.
http://ca.eonline.com/news/hunger_games_did_director_gary_ross/306966

Erin
04-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Finally saw the movie today, and it is one of the few movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the massive hype. I must now re-read The Hunger Games. :lol:

I would agree. I really liked the movie, although I agree with the complaints about the shaky camera-work. (I hope the new director doesn't go that route.) The acting was all spot-on. I didn't have a problem with Harrelson as Haymitch. Obviously a lot had to be cut out from the book, but they got the essential pieces in and got them right. I went with two friends, one who had read the books and one who hadn't, and we all enjoyed it. The one who hadn't read the books said it all made sense even without reading the books, which was one thing I wondered...some things were pretty subtle. And for such a long movie, I wasn't looking at my watch very often, which is always a good sign.

rudi
04-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Still haven't gotten around to seeing the movie (will probably see it on DVD at this point), but finished the 2nd book and have started book 3. For some reason, I can't get into the 3rd one, probably partially b/c I gave in and looked at the spoilers. I will probably see it through and read it all the way through, though. Just don't really like the direction it went.

Buzz
04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Have to admit I spoiled myself but since I know where the book is heading and approve I am loving book 3. A refreshing change from Mr. George Martin and his explicit sexual content. I am sooooooo routing for Katniss and Peeta! :cheer2:

Michalle
04-08-2012, 08:18 PM
The second book has so much re-capping of what happened in the first! It is driving me nuts. Surely, you would not be reading the second book if you hadn't read the first would you? Did she really need to remind the reader of such major events? So constantly? It's so aggravating and it's taking me out of the story.

Skittl1321
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Surely, you would not be reading the second book if you hadn't read the first would you?

Wasn't she kind of an unknown author when she wrote it? The publishers may have made her do that because if Hunger Games hasn't exploded into "the next big thing" it is possible people may have picked up the second without knowing about the first.

Think of the BabySitters club. I think I read a hundred of those books. EVERY SINGLE ONE told me that Claudia likes to eat junk food and Stacy has diabetes and great fashion sense.

Publishers do not have great faith in the young adult market to recall details.

(Even the second Harry Potter recapped a bit. Once it got big- she stopped.)

Matryeshka
04-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Wasn't she kind of an unknown author when she wrote it? The publishers may have made her do that because if Hunger Games hasn't exploded into "the next big thing" it is possible people may have picked up the second without knowing about the first.

No, not even close. Suzanne Collins wrote for all manner of successful television shows, writer of The Underland Chronicles series (also NYT Best Sellers), and the head writer for the Clifford the Dog series. Scholastic knew Hunger Games was gold from the planning stages.

As for recapping, that is considered good telling. It's also a way to spin information already known in a slightly different way, foreshadowing what's coming up in the next installment.

I do think there's a big difference between the Babysitters Club and Harry Potter and Hunger Games. All the Babysitters Club novels except maybe three or four are stand-alone. They are written under the assumption that teenage girls will pick them up, read them for a year, two at the most, and a new generation will start on book # 15, or #48 or #103. They have to be recapped. Harry Potter and Hunger Games build and are with a build-up to a definite ending, so recapping in the same way in every book is not as necessary.