PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

MarieM
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Ah I have one question.
I never ever bothered looking for the map of the supposed 13 districts. Where can I find it ?

NinjaTurtles
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Ah I have one question.
I never ever bothered looking for the map of the supposed 13 districts. Where can I find it ?

There is no official map that I know of, but if you Google it you'll find several different maps designed by fans per the clues in the book. This one is interesting: http://io9.com/5882371/perhaps-the-most-well+researched-map-ever-of-the-hunger-games-panem

Skittl1321
04-05-2012, 01:49 PM
There is no official map that I know of, but if you Google it you'll find several different maps designed by fans per the clues in the book. This one is interesting: http://io9.com/5882371/perhaps-the-most-well+researched-map-ever-of-the-hunger-games-panem

I think they researched it well, but district 10 did cattle, so it seems odd that Texas and Oklahoma are in District 11, whereas Iowa- which grows tons of food (but also has the pigs...) is in 10. A lot of people think 11 is the deep south, so it make sense Iowa and some of the other food states in the midwest wouldn't be in it, but I still question Texas/Oklahoma's inclusion. Wisconsin definitely has dairy cows, but not really "cattle" in the meat sense.

danceronice
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
12 is definitely West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky. The Capitol is explicitly in the Rockies.

Nothing else in the books is spelled out, but fans guess it's the deep south (though the problem there is most of the deep south is not especially great for growing grain--fruit trees, yes, except temperate fruits like apples and cherries, but not grain-that would be the great plains.)

It's never said in the books, but fan extrapolation is 13 MUST be the Laurentin mountains in Canada, because it's the only place in North America that produces graphite

Yehudi
04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
12 is definitely West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky. The Capitol is explicitly in the Rockies.

Nothing else in the books is spelled out, but fans guess it's the deep south (though the problem there is most of the deep south is not especially great for growing grain--fruit trees, yes, except temperate fruits like apples and cherries, but not grain-that would be the great plains.)

I think fruit is the main crop, as Rue mentions climbing orchards.

Skittl1321
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I think fruit is the main crop, as Rue mentions climbing orchards.

But they say the district is "agriculture"- and very large. Surely, Panem needs more food than just fruit?

I assume that Rue lives in an area that grows fruit, but they mention Thresh is very familiar with grains, as he stays away from the trees and is able to eat well in the other area (gaining weight even). So surely there are other crops. When I think of grains- I think Iowa and Kansas. Missouri I think of apples (though I don't know if they still grow them there). These are all "agriculture".

I always thought of Rue being in Florida in orange orchards- but after the "seas ate much of the continent" -how much of North America's orchards would even be left? I think Florida would pretty well be gone.

My guess is the author only gave it basic thought, not realizing her book would be so popular it would be scrutinized in that way.

You can't take north American and make a continuous region that provides ALL the non-meat food. But Panem has done that somehow- because each district has only one job. Of course- if District 13 can grow everything underground, perhaps there is a way for Panem to have artifically introduced all these crops to whatever area they want.

genevieve
04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

I like that one, just because it's one of the few that actually has districts surrounding the capitol, which is clearly stated in the book.

This (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=map+of+panem&view=detail&id=5E076CFF19FD16D6CF96C8FDD604903B5F0C3BE5&first=0) is the one prior to the film that seemed to have the most traction with fans.

vesperholly
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
It's never said in the books, but fan extrapolation is 13 MUST be the Laurentin mountains in Canada, because it's the only place in North America that produces graphite

That could certainly be - I think a lot of people assume District 13 is right next to District 12, but it's never stated like that in the book. Gale and Katniss hunt in "no man's land" IIRC.

Rogue
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I think people assume District 13 is right next to District 12 because refugees from other districts were heading through District 12 to reach District 13. Also, it was a short trip for the District 12 refugees after the Capital bombed their home and when Katniss went back for a visit.

MarieM
04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
so there is no official map as of yet. I sure bet they'll sell one at one point :)

Thanks for the links anyway, it gives me a more comprehensive look at the world, which I need in every fantasy like world ;)

Spareoom
04-05-2012, 10:18 PM
There is no official Panem map yet, but an authorized one by Lionsgate and Suzanne Collins will be released via the Hunger Games Adventures Facebook game in the near future. I really like the game they have going so far, and a map will just be the cherry on top.

No idea how it's set up, but the only thing that I do know about Panem is that it has got to include bits of Canada and Mexico, not just America, and that the Districts ought to be in some sort of sequencial order. Why number them if they're just randomly scattered around? Districts 1 and 2 need to be close-ish to the Capitol, and 11, 12 and 13 the furthest away. Makes sense that way.

ETA: Random, but I've always wondered about the realism of including an entire district dedicated to JUST lumber when one thinks about the fact that there's only so many trees to go around and if one concentrated lumbering in one area, the place would be razed in a few years. Maybe the Capitol has figured out how to re-grow trees quickly, thus being able to concentrate tree production in one area?

Buzz
04-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm in the middle of book 2 and can see why Peeta was called annoying. He really is. The way he cathers after Katniss every need all day and night and her barely even acknowledging him is pathetic. He's little more than her man servant. LOL And now he is willing to die for her again it is so sad.

danceronice
04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
ETA: Random, but I've always wondered about the realism of including an entire district dedicated to JUST lumber when one thinks about the fact that there's only so many trees to go around and if one concentrated lumbering in one area, the place would be razed in a few years. Maybe the Capitol has figured out how to re-grow trees quickly, thus being able to concentrate tree production in one area?

Probably soft pines. They grow much faster than hardwoods so if you keep a rotational harvest/planting order going, you'll pretty much always have wood.

I kind of find the whole "single-industry district" thing a little implausible in general. Well, okay, I find quite a few things improbable in how the society's designed. But I enjoy it enough I don't worry too much when I'm reading.

Also, maybe because of how much I was set up to expect a useless load, I don't find Peeta nearly as big a load as I'd expected. He really is the one that, if they'd been aiming for a genuine revolution of ideas which Coin, Gale, et al clearly weren't-they're pretty clearly in the bloodthirsty "people's uprising" sort of mindset, they'd want as the 'face.' Natural gift for the cameras, and as Katniss notes, someone who can speak to you and make you believe him.

Buzz
04-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I'll give Collins a pass on Panem's layout because perhaps these industries are mostly for the propose of keeping the population of the districts busy. So they would have too much time to think about the disparity in wealth between the districts and the Capitol.

PRlady
04-06-2012, 02:08 AM
I assumed I currently live in District 13 :lol: when I read the book, since the underground city to protect offiicials is in reality not far from DC. I did forget that the coastal areas are underwater. :P

My own mental map put District 4 in New England, since I saw Finnick of Irish descent and they're all water-oriented. But, as someone pointed out, all we really know is that District 12 is Appalachia and the Capitol is in the Rockies.