PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Buzz
03-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Slightly off topic but The Hunger Games have inspired a new fitness craze. LOL Feel like training like tribute? Now you can. :)

MacMadame
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I do agree that the marketing for the next movie will probably feature the infuriating Team Gale/Team Peeta bullsh*t...that's SO annoying.
Time to break out my Team Shut Up merchandise. ;)

michiruwater
03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually read the books would be on Team Gale.

Then again, I find it hard to believe that anyone who read the books would really care. Katniss choosing between the two barely mattered, and she certainly had more important things on her mind.

sodapop
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
But overall I really did like it. I just have a lot of nitpicks. And I'm ashamed (not that ashamed) to say that I not only cried like a baby when Rue died, but also when Katniss volunteered.

I cried at these same moments and I am not a movie cryer. Rue got me the most. The little girl who played her was perfect for the part. It was close to what I imagined when first reading the books.

I loved both the books and the movie. I'm already looking forward to Catching Fire. I cannot wait to see who plays Finnick.

BigB08822
03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I loved both the books and the movie. I'm already looking forward to Catching Fire. I cannot wait to see who plays Finnick.

I can't wait to see Finnick, either! He better be :swoon: and half naked.

michiruwater
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
From the beginning I have always pictured Charlie White whenever I thought of Finnick :shuffle: I don't know why, because while Charlie may have curly hair he's lacking other parts of the description, but it's always been Charlie I've pictured to the point where I know I will be disappointed when Charlie is (understandably) not cast for the part :lol:

PrincessLeppard
03-30-2012, 01:01 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually read the books would be on Team Gale.

I just thought he was more interesting than Peeta. And I don't buy the drastic character change in the third novel.

Then again, I find it hard to believe that anyone who read the books would really care. Katniss choosing between the two barely mattered, and she certainly had more important things on her mind.

I agree. In my world :P, she would have wound up with neither of them.

MacMadame
03-30-2012, 01:16 AM
I just thought he was more interesting than Peeta. And I don't buy the drastic character change in the third novel.

I didn't see a drastic character change. We didn't really see much of his character up until then for one thing. Plus, in the 3rd book, Katniss talks about how he would always go into these angry rants about The Capitol when they were younger and we did see some of that talk in the earlier books so it's believable.

What I think happened is that she ignored a lot of those aspects of his character when they were younger and there was no way to put his ideas into action, but once he was designing traps for real soldiers, it was a lot harder to ignore.

I also think being in love with Katniss and not having it return as well as being at war changed him. He said something in Book One about how different would hunting people be from hunting animals? ... implying it wouldn't be that different. It's Katniss who basically says that it would be too easy to think of the people as wild animals but that was something to fight.

One of the interesting things about having the book be ENTIRELY from her POV is that you get the whole "unreliable narrator" phenomena and I think this is one instance of it.

What I found completely out of character was for Katniss to vote to have one last Hunger Games. She says something about "she thought of Prim" as justification but (a) Prim would have been (rightly) horrified so thinking of her would have her voting No IMO and (b) at this point she has suspicion that Coin was responsible for Prim's death, not Snow.

michiruwater
03-30-2012, 01:18 AM
I can't imagine why anyone who experienced one Hunger Games (let alone two!) would actually vote to have another.

Skittl1321
03-30-2012, 03:37 AM
I can't imagine why anyone who experienced one Hunger Games (let alone two!) would actually vote to have another.
Revenge.

It seemed to be in character for everyone who voted except Katniss.

Spareoom
03-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Revenge.

It seemed to be in character for everyone who voted except Katniss.

I read a blog somewhere that seemed to think that one is meant to read between the lines regarding Katniss's choice. Their view was that once Katniss realized that Coin was really no different than Snow, something snapped and she voted for the Games in order to confirm Coin's choice with the subconscious understanding that Coin would need to be taken out before the Games became a reality. They gathered this based on how Haymitch responded and how he was reacting to Katniss; note that he doesn't vote either way but says that he's with the Mockingjay while coming to some sort of understanding with Katniss. Because you're right, it would never, ever be in Katniss's character to vote for the very thing that was ultimately responsible for destroying Prim; if there were no Hunger Games, Prim wouldn't have been reaped and Katniss wouldn't have volunteered and started the whole rebellion.

Anyway, I'm reading the books through again so I am definitely going to looking at that scene closely. :)

genevieve
03-30-2012, 06:49 AM
I have defended book 3, but I have to confess I barely remember it. Perhaps I was in a coma...

MarieM
03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
IT's a major rip off Battle Royal, but I like it nonetheless !

Buzz
03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Just wanted to mention that there have been some nasty little tweets regarding Jennifer Lawrence's weight as well as the race of the actors playing Rue and Cinna. Come on now, I wish fans would just enjoy the movie and stop with the nasty comments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2122714/The-Hunger-Games-hit-racism-row-movie-fans-tweet-vile-slurs-casting-black-teen-actress-heroine-Rue.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Buzz
03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry double post...