PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

michiruwater
03-26-2012, 02:28 AM
I cried like a baby when Rue died and my dd laughed at me. But I really was crying, not that sniffing you normally do at the movies. I'm not sure why it upset me that much. But it did.

I was crying my eyes out both times. All my friends cried their eyes out. Both times I could hear people outright sobbing in the theater. It's a very upsetting death - don't worry about it!

The soundtrack? It is great. I love it. I've listened twice so far today!

Buzz
03-26-2012, 02:38 AM
The movie has made about $240m this weekend worldwide. So I'd Say this series is off to a really good start.

Mozart
03-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Allen- he only way I can rationalize the riot scene is to think that the man who started it was Rue's father but that is just an unfounded assumption on my part

BigB08822
03-26-2012, 04:25 AM
I was a bit uncomfortable with the chemistry between Lenny Kravitz and Lawrence though. Did anyone else notice that? I thought he made a fantastic Cinna, but they just had loads and loads of chemistry, way more than she had with either Gale or Peeta. The comments he would make - "You made me like you" or the kisses on the forehead - just felt way more intimate than I had imagined in my head.

I noticed this too! The chemistry was through the roof between those two. I took Cinna to be gay in the book (maybe just stereotyping on my part) but he didn't come across that way in the movie at all because I thought he wanted to do her the whole time. :lol:

vesperholly
03-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Lenny Kravitz can't help it, he's just sex on a stick no matter who he's with. :grope:

genevieve
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I didn't get any chemistry between Kravitz and Lawrence

Allen
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I didn't get any chemistry between Kravitz and Lawrence

I did a little right before she went into the arena.

Stormy
03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, I got a lot of chemistry between Katniss and Cinna as well. Way more than with Peeta or Gale. Lenny was a fantastic Cinna. Loved every scene he was in!

Rue's death didn't even make we well up a little bit. I felt Stenberg's acting was a bit weak in that scene, and her death didn't make me have the reaction I thought it would. I didn't hear anyone else in the theater crying either.

I was ok with Harrelson as Haymitch and I'm willing to bet it was more mis-direction than mis-casting. He defintiely didn't act like the Haymitch in the book and I felt his character wasn't explained well beyond "mentor". Did they even say he was a previous victor?

I loved the Control Room scenes, the things you never got to see in the book. I'm *hoping* that since Suzanne Collins was so involved in the movie that that was her "vision" of how the Games were controlled and not someone's random idea.

I was very happy at really how closely they stayed to the book. Since you know the next two movies will be greenlighted because of the monster numbers Hunger Games opened with (and really, how could there have been doubt??) I'm hoping the next two movies will stay that close as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again!

PrincessLeppard
03-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm hoping Mockingjay is significantly altered from the novel. Watching Katniss being sedated ten times is going to get really :yawn:

dancer72
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping Mockingjay is significantly altered from the novel. Watching Katniss being sedated ten times is going to get really :yawn:

And the plan seems to be for MJ to be 2 movies. I would think a lot of the stuff that happens behind the scenes in the book will have to be on screen in the movie.

personwhoishere
03-26-2012, 06:42 PM
And the plan seems to be for MJ to be 2 movies. I would think a lot of the stuff that happens behind the scenes in the book will have to be on screen in the movie.

I read that as well. Not sure how I feel about that.

Spareoom
03-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how that's going to work. MJ is a long book but there's not a very good breaking point for another movie. The only one that I can think off the top of my head is right after Peeta is rescued from the Capitol and he tries to kill Katniss. Although that would mean very little Peeta and Johanna in MJ P1.

genevieve
03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
well, if they decide to film all the action that takes place while Katniss is napping, it would extend the story considerably :shuffle:

michiruwater
03-26-2012, 10:40 PM
I was ok with Harrelson as Haymitch and I'm willing to bet it was more mis-direction than mis-casting. He defintiely didn't act like the Haymitch in the book and I felt his character wasn't explained well beyond "mentor". Did they even say he was a previous victor?

Yes, on the train to the capital Peeta expositions to Katniss, "He did win this thing once."

I'm not sure how I feel about Mockingjay being extended to two films as well. I don't think there's enough material unless, as noted, they film all the stuff that happens while Katniss is unconscious :shuffle:

Skittl1321
03-26-2012, 11:12 PM
A coworker (who hadn't read the book) said he was disappointed in the movie. He said he didn't get any sense of undertones of social conscious he had heard the book had and he didn't understand why District 11 was rioting, as they had to expect their tributes would likely die. He also had no idea who the rebels might be and had no idea there was a district 13. I wonder if people will be surprised when there suddenly is one in the next movie .

I've chosen not to see the movie. I don't do well with shaky cameras (nearly got sick during saving private ryan in theatres) and I hear there is a tribute who snaps anothers neck. I can't handle that. I have issues.