PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Spareoom
03-24-2012, 05:02 AM
I thought the end credits song was by Arcade Fire?

I believe the poster in question is referring to the second Credits song, which was co-written/performed by Taylor Swift and the Civil Wars. The first song is the one you're thinking of, I believe. All I know about it is that during the LA premiere they had it on a loop during the webcast and I came to HATE it after about 15 minutes. ;) :p

Nell411
03-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I believe the poster in question is referring to the second Credits song, which was co-written/performed by Taylor Swift and the Civil Wars. The first song is the one you're thinking of, I believe. All I know about it is that during the LA premiere they had it on a loop during the webcast and I came to HATE it after about 15 minutes. ;) :p

Ah, that would make sense, I didn't wait that long. I'm just a massive Arcade Fire fan so I waited for that song before I left.

PrincessLeppard
03-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Just got home from it. As you all know,I totally hate book Peeta, but I really felt for him in the movie, and almost nearly like him. :P

I highly recommend this movie and usually hate the overhyped stuff.

vesperholly
03-24-2012, 08:26 AM
ZOMG. LOVED IT.

It wasn't the bestest movie in the history of the world, but as far as book adaptations go, fantastic. :cheer2: All the actors were pitch-perfect, with the minor exception of uberhunk Gale (meh). I thought the movie Prim was so much more affecting.

My only minor quibble was the shaky camera work and how tight;y the fight scenes were framed. I was getting confused with what was happening in the jumble of bodies.

rjblue
03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
The civil Wars song is the final song in the credits, after the Taylor one, although they do sing backup on hers.

Buzz
03-24-2012, 12:16 PM
I want to read the book but it is not available on iTunes yet only the audiobook. :(

BigB08822
03-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I really did like the movie but I did think some of the scenes came across a little cheesy. I know the scenes between Katniss and Peeta are supposed to be forced but I think they kind of missed the mark and landed on cheesy instead. I did like some of the changes, though. I'm happy Peeta kept his leg and so so relieved the dogs weren't some kind of genetic clones of the dead contestants complete with their eyes.

PRlady
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
The music soundtrack, which I'm previewing on ITunes, is interesting. They obviously went for an Appalachian-sounding folk sound and there are some nice songs there.

Wyliefan
03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
The music soundtrack, which I'm previewing on ITunes, is interesting. They obviously went for an Appalachian-sounding folk sound and there are some nice songs there.

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but I love what I've heard so far. Really good choices.

barbk
03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Katniss: She's not just a kick-ass heroine.

Cool story in today's NY Times about the business of writing insurance for filmmaking and the entertainment industry, including many of the hard-to-forsee risks:
"One time, while goofing around off-camera, Ms. Lawrence told Mr. Hutcherson that she could kick her leg over his head. She missed, and her foot landed squarely on his temple, knocking him unconscious." Whomp. And out goes one of your lead actors. Then there are the bears that ramble through the shooting area.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/business/insuring-hollywood-against-falls-but-not-flops.html?hpw

Christina
03-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow. Great movie. My husband has never read the books, doesn't usually go to the movies, and thought the premise sounded stupid. He thought it was good as well.

Go see it, rfisher. You won't be sorry.

The only thing that bothered me was Peeta's obvious roots at times. He's not a natural blonde, I think. I did like the character in the movie, but Liam Helmsworth is hawt! The mutt jumping out of the woods made my husband jump!

bek
03-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Again, I cite trauma:shuffle:. Some characters grow harder through adversity, toughen up so to speak; Katniss comes apart at the seams a little bit but still has enough fight left in her to finish it out. She's not as tough at the end b/c her life experiences have worn her down. I get that. Even though I would have liked her to go all Ripley and turn into an ass-kicking machine:D, it makes sense to me. I definitely have a thing for tougher female character and, in a sense, Katniss does "man up" and make some things happen. But ultimately, her psyche wasn't strong enough to go unscathed after all she went through.

I just compare her to a character like Bella and can't help but think that in terms of development Katniss is lightyears beyond Bella, who literally stayed the exact same throughout all 4 of those terrible books...no growth whatsoever. I appreciate Collins trying to inject a bit of reality into the series by breaking Katniss in the last book, even though in the ideal situation she'd be all superwoman-ish. She could have gone either way to be honest...in situations of adversity people either stand tough or crumble and Katniss crumbled a bit.

But if the author made Katniss become superwomanish, it would destroy what she's trying to say about violence and war. How violence destroys people, even good people. To say Katniss is the type of person who crumbles under pressure is a bit much for me, that girl went through more adversity in her lifetime before she entered into the Hunger Games than many of us could imagine. Imagine a young child fighting to feed her mother and sister, pretty much parenting both, after her father dies. She is a fighter and she is strong but everyone has their limits. I think what hurt Katniss throughout the book was what was she even fighting for. Its not like Katniss had in her head this picture of a liveable society. Harry and his friends, they were fighting to maintain their current lives. But Katniss knew nothing but misery. And as we get throughout the book she learns that the Rebels are just manipulative and willing to kill innocents as the Capital

The author is trying very hard to say something very clear about the nature of war, violence, and what it does to people. Which is why having the "good characters" people Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Finnick etc become so affected by what they experienced works well for the point the author is trying to express.

That kind of evil, those kind of experiences would destroy even the strongest people. Especially when they don't have a glimmer of what to even fight FOR. And even after things are over, even if life gets better it affects you. What kind of person would you be if it didn't? The fact that even in her weakness that girl did what she had to do is precisely what makes her strong.
War twists people and in lot of cases there really is no good or bad guys in it.

I remember my mom telling me of a guy she dated. His mother grew up in Belgium in World War II during Nazi Occupation. She saw a Nazi soldier shoot and kill her best friend (who was Jewish) right in front of her face as a teenager. Her mother met his father an American soldier that they hid eventually they married. But to say the mother wasn't messed up by what she experienced for the rest of her life. Or Holocaust victims, other victims of the type of thing that someone like Katniss experienced... Nightmares, all kinds of things after that kind of experience, that's a reality. Strength is just getting through it and finding a way to live. Its a far more real reaction than Katniss becomes superwoman.

As for Katniss and Peeta having no chemistry, I disagree. Even in the first book the author makes it clear that Katniss isn't sure how she feels. She feels quite depressed after Peeta finds out she was "faking".

The no one wins in war is a theme too. we find out that all of the Hunger Games "Victors" had a horrible experience after they won with the Capital killing loved ones to force them into submission, being sold to sexual slavery etc. One could argue the ones who "died" were spared.

In fact the author's father fought in Vietnam. There's a rare interview where she says that she use to wake up hearing her father's nightmares.

genevieve
03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Just got back from seeing this in IMAX - my friend's idea, it took me a while to be able to focus on the gigantic screen because I normally sit as far away from the screen as possible in a regular theater, and this one had extremely shallow seating.

On the whole, a good film. There were some things that I really loved - most notably Jennifer Lawrence (duh), but also the game command central (not in the book) and everything about the Cesar Flickerman show. I was wary of Josh Hutcherson as Peeta but he kinda won me over (agree about his roots though). Effie Trinket was PERFECT. Woody Harrelson was horribly miscast, though. His look was completely wrong, and there was nothing of Haymitch's beaten down drunk in that portrayal. I was also horribly underwhelmed by the costume effects for the tributes. The Chariot o' Fire was cheesy - although the frie spinning dress later was better. All the other tributes' costumes looked like they were made of construction paper.

These are pretty minor, though (ok, I'm definitely not going to stop bitching about Woody Harrelson for the entire trilogy, but everything else I can live with). The one story-related change that was just wrong, wrong, wrong was the aftermath of Rue's death. Her death scene was so well done, so effective, and just heartbreaking - but instead of giving us the District 11 bread gift to Katniss (which causes her to give the D12 salute), we get.....the riot scene from Book 2? Aside from plot purity, it just makes no sense. WHY would District 11 start rioting in the middle of the Hunger Games? They had to have known that at least one of their tributes was going to die, and while Rue's demise was devastating to us, I don't think it qualifies in the frame of the games as a particularly nasty or unfair death. A stupid, useless change.

I didn't mind the shaky camera work or super close fight scenes - they made it hard to see what was going on, but I felt it added to the overall sense of disorientation. Plus, I hate gore so it allowed me to see fight scenes without seeing a lot of blood and guts.

PrincessLeppard
03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
But if the author made Katniss become superwomanish, it would destroy what she's trying to say about violence and war. How violence destroys people, even good people.

"War is hell" is a good theme for a book, but I don't think it was handled particularly well. An author can convey this without knocking out their main character repeatedly. PTSD can manifest itself in other ways -- becoming hysterical isn't the only symptom.

Now that I know there were only supposed to be two books and that Collins was told to stretch it to three explains a lot of the mess of Mockingjay, imo.

Gen, I didn't mind Harrelson as Haymitch, but you are correct that we don't get enough explanation as to why he's such a drunk.

CDANN1013
03-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Broke down and bought the first book yesterday. Hope I will enjoy it

Carol