PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

nubka
02-12-2012, 04:55 AM
I saw some pics of her just a few days ago coming out of club, looking really rough, but I didn't expect to see this happening quite so soon. :(:(

I hope this will be a mega-wake-up-call for Lindsay Lohan, but somehow, I doubt it... :(

bek
02-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Why should Bobby get the blame for this one? He and Whitney aren't even together any more. Yes he was an abuser; but it seems like he's somewhat gotten his act together;which for his kids is a GOOD thing.. They were both abusers and both pretty much it seems enabled each other.

If Whitney had been the good church girl Clive portrayed her as; she would have never gotten so serious with Bobby. She was a grown woman responsible for her OWN choices; including getting involved with Bobby.

Still Whitney had one of the most beautiful voices I ever heard. Her tone was just incredible. Such a gift...

iarispiralllyof
02-12-2012, 05:10 AM
actually it's a pattern in abusive relationships - and bobby did beat her a lot. the abuser often makes the victim feel useless and worthless without them. the victim more often than not expresses that they have/want to stay because of love but a lot of times it's actually due to the fear that the abuser has instilled in them.

abusive relationships are said to typically have a "honeymoon period" where the abuser is incredibly sweet and apologetic...and the victim falls prey to this. when the abuse continues to happen, they cling to the hope that the abuser will change and they long for another "honeymoon period" rather than trying to escape. but the "honeymoon period" gets shorter and shorter and the violence escalates more often than not.

even with people from the outside reaching in to encourage the victim to leave, they often feel that if they do they really will be worthless and helpless.

the fact that drugs also factor into this equation makes the situation even more complicated. whitney may not have been as squeaky clean as they portrayed her, but she was the daughter of cissy houston, a renowned gospel singer and also related to aretha franklin. she may not have been pure but she probably grew up relatively more privileged and sheltered than many people. bobby brown on the other hand was an infamous bad boy long before they hooked up

dbell1
02-12-2012, 05:23 AM
If only Whitney had gotten married to someone like Johnny Matthis or even Eddie Murphy instead of Bobby Brown.

Um, pretty sure Johnny Mathis is gay and was about 30 years older than her?

I think my favorite Whitney song and video was "I'm Every Woman". So joyful. Super pregnant Whitney had such a glow about her. :) It's how I'll remember her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7_sqdkaAfo&ob=av2e

ETA - just read that Jennifer Hudson is doing a Grammy tribute tomorrow night.

bek
02-12-2012, 05:25 AM
actually it's a pattern in abusive relationships - and bobby did beat her a lot. the abuser often makes the victim feel useless and worthless without them. the victim more often than not expresses that they have/want to stay because of love but a lot of times it's actually due to the fear that the abuser has instilled in them.

abusive relationships are said to typically have a "honeymoon period" where the abuser is incredibly sweet and apologetic...and the victim falls prey to this. when the abuse continues to happen, they cling to the hope that the abuser will change and they long for another "honeymoon period" rather than trying to escape. but the "honeymoon period" gets shorter and shorter and the violence escalates more often than not.

even with people from the outside reaching in to encourage the victim to leave, they often feel that if they do they really will be worthless and helpless.

the fact that drugs also factor into this equation makes the situation even more complicated. whitney may not have been as squeaky clean as they portrayed her, but she was the daughter of cissy houston, a renowned gospel singer and also related to aretha franklin. she may not have been pure but she probably grew up relatively more privileged and sheltered than many people. bobby brown on the other hand was an infamous bad boy long before they hooked up

Whitney grew up in the music business which is known for drugs/alcohol. She was no newbie in the business when she got involved with Bobby; as mentioned she was already into drugs. I have a hard time thinking that her handlers didn't try to convince her NOT to be with Bobby from the very beginning.
No kidding Bobby was terrible to her; but once again those two have been broken up for 5 years now. He's not responsible for Whitney's choices in the last five years.

The real victim is their daughter Bobby. Who got stuck with the worst parental examples possible.

Scintillation
02-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Seriously, there is no one around who can match the power and tone of her voice. It was amazing. RIP--I suppose whatever demons that were constantly chasing her are chasing her no more. :(
I remember the moment I realized that some people are more gifted than others was when I tried to sing I Will Always love you as a little kid and it sounded...like crap.

ross_hy
02-12-2012, 05:36 AM
What an iconic voice. I just watched her version of The Star Spangled Banner on YouTube; for my money, the best vocal version ever done.

Dr.Siouxs
02-12-2012, 05:51 AM
She's one of the first celebrities I recognized as a child. Very shocking and sad.

ballettmaus
02-12-2012, 05:53 AM
ETA - just read that Jennifer Hudson is doing a Grammy tribute tomorrow night.

Didn't she also sing at Michael Jackson's memorial service?

Rex
02-12-2012, 05:57 AM
As much as making fun of her crazy moments was, I think all of us jokesters were also hoping that she could eventually come back and rise above it all :(

Exactly.

Twizzler
02-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Didn't she also sing at Michael Jackson's memorial service?

Yes. Not sure it's a good thing to be the "go to girl" for deceased singing legends :(

ETA: it would have been a nice gesture for Bobby Brown to cancel his performance tonight with New Edition.

DBZ
02-12-2012, 06:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvsU4SNWPA :(

ballettmaus
02-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Yes. Not sure it's a good thing to be the "go to girl" for deceased singing legends :(

That's what I thought, too. It is an honor, I guess, but it still has somewhat of a bitter taste to it, I would think.

FiveRinger
02-12-2012, 06:22 AM
ETA: it would have been a nice gesture for Bobby Brown to cancel his performance tonight with New Edition.

Do we know for sure that he hasn't? Hopefully he is trying to get to his daughter to comfort and support her.

Vash01
02-12-2012, 06:24 AM
I just saw this news on our local newspaper's web site. Very shocking. She was just 48. She had a wonderful voice. It seems drug use derailed her career and finally took her life. Whitney, I hope you find peace wherever you are now.