PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

kittyjake5
02-12-2012, 03:24 AM
I just heard about Whitney's death how terribly sad. I am in shock.
My condolences to her family and friends. She was one of the greatest singers of our time.

RIP Whitney, this fan will always love you.....

mrinalini
02-12-2012, 03:24 AM
I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Yahoo!

I knew she had troubles with her ex and drugs, but I thought she had gotten it together at one point. But of course, the last I'd heard of her was that she was booed off stage because her voice sounded so bad. So much for the comeback, I thought, but I never expected this...RIP to one fantastically talented lady at her peak.

I must say it's gonna be hard to pay attention during the ladies' free at 4CC right now (not that it wouldn't be hard even before hearing this news).

bardtoob
02-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time(Grammy Awards Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFHAvULvJ0)

... Give me one moment in time, when I'm more than I thought I could be, when all of my dreams are a heartbeat away and the answers are all up to me ...

OnyxRose81
02-12-2012, 03:30 AM
If only Whitney had gotten married to someone like Johnny Matthis or even Eddie Murphy instead of Bobby Brown.

Whitney's death is really tragic but I can't gloss over one of the most incorrect beliefs about Whitney and Bobby. Whitney was using before she ever met Bobby, and by her own admission, was never the person that the public thought she was. Whitney and Bobby weren't good for each other. He had seemingly pulled himself together (he's in a relationship, has a son and is on tour with New Edition). To put all the blame on Bobby is not fair.

R.I.P. Whitney. It's so sad she couldn't overcome her demons. She wasn't my fave but her voice was sublime.

mrinalini
02-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Oh, and I always loved how she handled this scene with Serge Gainsbourg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMdXi6f5KRg

So classy, and I think she ended up endearing herself more to Gainsbourg than if she had responded in kind.

Little did we know that Whitney would one day be heading down the same path as Serge. :(

iarispiralllyof
02-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Whitney's death is really tragic but I can't gloss over one of the most incorrect beliefs about Whitney and Bobby. Whitney was using before she ever met Bobby, and by her own admission, was never the person that the public thought she was. Whitney and Bobby weren't good for each other. He had seemingly pulled himself together (he's in a relationship, has a son and is on tour with New Edition). To put all the blame on Bobby is not fair.

R.I.P. Whitney. It's so sad she couldn't overcome her demons. She wasn't my fave but her voice was sublime.

you are probably right but i still think he is somewhat to blame. even if she was a user before him, the erratic behavior was much more in control. i don't want to turn this thread into a blaming game, but he also beat her quite a lot during their marriage, she would show up in public with bruises

liv
02-12-2012, 03:47 AM
It's a bit of a shock! For some reason I thought that now that she was out of the public eye, she had gotten a bit better.

I will always remember her, especially for that song, you all know the one. It was played in my university dorm by so many people, over and over and over.... and I just never got tired of it.

RIP, Whitney.

Another example of how success in show business can be both a blessing and a curse.

AxelAnnie
02-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Unbelievably sad :(.

I was never a fan of her music, but she had an incredible voice, and her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the 1991 Superbowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llFZT6CTXz8) still sends a shiver through me whenever I think about it.

Thanks so much for that link. It was wonderful to listen to.

I wish someone could have saved her. What a tragedy (and I know, she had to save herself).

orbitz
02-12-2012, 04:10 AM

Perhaps Whitney had tried drugs prior to meeting Bobby, but her personality definitely changed for the worse after dating him and then marrying him, because Bobby was himself abusing drugs and alcohol and in essence was enabling her. Sure Whitney was an adult but another partner would maybe have stopped her from continuing the drug abuse if he himself wasn't also a "bad boy". The same as if Tonya had never met Jeff Giloolley.

I'm just saying that I think Whitney's life would've been very different if she had never gotten involved with Bobby.

BigB08822
02-12-2012, 04:30 AM
I hate that Bobby gets all the blame, too. I don't think he is a nice person, he did get picked up for domestic violence, after all. However, he didn't hold down Whitney and force her to take drugs, at least not that she ever said. Her behavior may have become worse after being with him but that was probably just the natural course of her disease. It would have probably happened no matter who she was with or where she was in life. Most addicts can't go on hiding their use for a very long time, it always surfaces.

Rex
02-12-2012, 04:31 AM

R.I.P. Whitney. It's so sad she couldn't overcome her demons. She wasn't my fave but her voice was sublime. A lot of that glamor girl schtick was Clive Davis softening her image.

CantALoop
02-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Even if Whitney had been using drugs way before Bobby, I don't doubt for a second that he wasn't a major catalyst/facilitator of her downward spiral, especially with how she kept clinging on to him despite the rockiness and abuse in their relationship.

I'm devastated...can't stop crying. I made jokes about her like everyone did, but I loved her music so much...all that beauty and talent...:fragile:.

As much as making fun of her crazy moments was, I think all of us jokesters were also hoping that she could eventually come back and rise above it all :(

topaz
02-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Perhaps Whitney had tried drugs prior to meeting Bobby, but her personality definitely changed for the worse after dating him and then marrying him, because Bobby was himself abusing drugs and alcohol and in essence was enabling her. Sure Whitney was an adult but another partner would maybe have stopped her from continuing the drug abuse if he himself wasn't also a "bad boy". The same as if Tonya had never met Jeff Giloolley.

I'm just saying that I think Whitney's life would've been very different if she had never gotten involved with Bobby.

This is an assumption I think many people mistaken as to cause of Whitney's issues. Whitney has always had some "ghetto girl from Newark" in her. Most of the public hadn't seen that side of her until it was shown on the reality show because her public image covered up her true self.

Either way, its a sad situation. The lost of an immense talent.

Cachoo
02-12-2012, 04:48 AM
This is an assumption I think many people mistaken as to cause of Whitney's issues. Whitney has always had some "ghetto girl from Newark" in her. Most of the public hadn't seen that side of her until it was shown on the reality show because her public image covered up her true self.

Either way, its a sad situation. The lost of an immense talent.

Yes the first time I heard her yell Baaauubbeee I laughed out of shock. I really didn't know about her rough edges. I've never been a fan of The Star Spangled Banner but I thought she owned it when she sang it at the Superbowl. Beautiful voice, stunning woman--maybe not the happiest life... RIP.

Fergus
02-12-2012, 04:54 AM
wrong thread