PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38]

cruisin
02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
^^ I agree that Whitney was not enjoying a productive career for the last 10 or so years. However, her body of work (during her heyday) did live beyond her productivity. She was something of an icon. Even though she was not producing and her more recent concerts did not go well, her past defined her.

FiveRinger
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
but that wasnt what manleywoman said. no one is debating that she is a star, just the length of her productive career.

I wasnt really tying that back to what manleywoman said. I was just making an observation.:)

heckles
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
P.S. In the last ten years of Elvis' life, he released:

...a bunch of songs other people wrote and recorded first, and sounded better singing, including My Way. What was Elvis' "way" by then, anyway? Fried peanut butter sandwiches with a side of Quaaludes?

Cheylana
02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Assuming Wiki has all the facts right, she had a pretty darn productive career:

In 2009, the Guinness World Records cited her as the most-awarded female act of all-time. Houston was also one of the world's best-selling music artists, having sold over 170 million albums, singles and videos worldwide. She released seven studio albums and three movie soundtrack albums, all of which have diamond, multi-platinum, platinum or gold certification.

[snip]

Houston is the only artist to chart seven consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. She is the second artist behind Elton John and the only female artist to have two number-one Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly "Top Pop Album") on the Billboard magazine year-end charts. Houston's 1985 debut album Whitney Houston became the best-selling debut album by a female act at the time of its release. The album was named Rolling Stone's best album of 1986, and was ranked at number 254 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Her second studio album Whitney (1987) became the first album by a female artist to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

PeterG
03-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Cause Of Houston's Death Revealed (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/whitney-houston-drowned-cocaine-system-la-coroner-213436821.html)

An autopsy into Houston's death found that the cause of death was accidental drowning due to the effects of heart disease and cocaine use, Los Angeles County Coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey said.

Harvey said toxicology tests also turned up marijuana, an anti-anxiety medication, a muscle relaxant and anti-histamine in Houston's system but found that they did not contribute to her death.

:(

DarrellH
03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
:(

Coco
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
She didn't have any coke in her system, but that's why she drowned?

I'm not sure I understand why all these personal medical facts are public. Dead people don't have rights?

ETA: I know "they" have very few, but certainly her family, who is very much alive, should have some control over what is published.

MacMadame
03-23-2012, 12:45 AM
She died because of what cocaine did to her body. It's like when someone stops smoking and then gets lung cancer anyway.

Twizzler
03-23-2012, 12:53 AM
She didn't have any coke in her system, but that's why she drowned?

She did have coke in her body in addition to the other drugs according to the reports I read.

ETA link to USA Today article: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/03/whitney-houstons-cause-of-death-revealed-by-la-coroner/1?csp=hf

Sad but sadly not unexpected :(

IceAlisa
03-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Habitual cocaine use may have resulted in/contributed to her heart disease.

Twizzler
03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
The coroner said that she had probably used cocaine minutes before her death.

I find it hard to believe that the people closest to her didn't know she was using again/still. Why were they so adamant that she was clean? They had to know the toxicology reports would be released.

nubka
03-23-2012, 05:45 PM
The coroner said that she had probably used cocaine minutes before her death.

I find it hard to believe that the people closest to her didn't know she was using again/still. Why were they so adamant that she was clean? They had to know the toxicology reports would be released.

probably because they loved her, and it's hard to face the truth. :( :(