PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38

nubka
02-21-2012, 03:40 AM
can you imagine if the toxicology reports come back clean and she fell and hit her head and died :shuffle: ;)

Well, it would probably make her family feel a bit better... :slinkaway

WindSpirit
02-21-2012, 04:50 AM
I guess I would think that someone with more longevity (Aretha Franklin, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson of course, etc) would garner this type of hype at their deaths, and I'm just surprised of all the fuss over Whitney. To me it boils down to the really incredible voice she had. A rare, undeniable talent that no one could ignore, even those who didn't care for her music. Plus she was very attractive. Together it made for an unforgettable combination.

I wasn't necessarily a Whitney's fan, I mean I didn't follow her career and life (or the funeral), but I don't think I will ever forget the impression she made on me when I heard/saw her in the 80s. I was mesmerized by her talent and beauty. She also seemed so vibrant, happy and full of life. That's the Whitney I will always remember. And I'm sure many, many people do, too. Even with all her failings in later life and addictions, her death still took me by surprise. I thought, how can Whitney Houston be dead? It just didn't compute.

Prancer
02-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Well, it would probably make her family feel a bit better... :slinkaway

But it's not like her history of drug abuse would go away.

I am kinda :confused: at the idea that Whitney didn't have career longevity. She had her first hit in 1985. Twenty-seven years is pretty good run.

Scintillation
02-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Maybe my perception is skewed because I was so young, but in the early 90's she was the ultimate pop singer. The Bodyguard was a massive hit, her rendition of the National Anthem at the Superbowl was a hit (still the best done at the Superbowl imo), and she was liked by almost everyone. She was clean-cut and edge-free. I mean sure not everyone dug the music, but her voice was universally loved by the whole country. She set the standard for the modern pop diva. Yes she was not really relevant anymore but her impact on pop culture in the US was huge. Thats why there was so much hype around her death.
Then she, Mariah, and Christina went too far with the ridiculous melismas and unnecessary belting and diva performances went off the deep end.
Seriously, Christina's performance at Etta James' funeral pissed me the eff off. She's become a complete joke of a singer.

bek
02-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Maybe my perception is skewed because I was so young, but in the early 90's she was the ultimate pop singer. The Bodyguard was a massive hit, her rendition of the National Anthem at the Superbowl was a hit (still the best done at the Superbowl imo), and she was liked by almost everyone. She was clean-cut and edge-free. I mean sure not everyone dug the music, but her voice was universally loved by the whole country. She set the standard for the modern pop diva. Yes she was not really relevant anymore but her impact on pop culture in the US was huge. Thats why there was so much hype around her death.
Then she, Mariah, and Christina went too far with the ridiculous melismas and unnecessary belting and diva performances went off the deep end.
Seriously, Christina's performance at Etta James' funeral pissed me the eff off. She's become a complete joke of a singer.

Yeah the vocal acrobatics. I know some have said "sing the d%%%mn song"

Christina's absolute best recording was Beautiful, and that was actually her first time singing that song-no enough time for her to figure in the rifts. Love the producer/ writer for that one.

heckles
02-21-2012, 06:04 AM
I mean, she was hardly a major player anymore, right?

Elvis was a joke for the last decade of his life, but people forget that. Elvis impersonators only imitate his Vegas years because they're all a bunch of blubbery old coots themselves.

nubka
02-21-2012, 06:16 AM
But it's not like her history of drug abuse would go away.

No, of course not. Still, if I loved/was close to a person that was tortured by chronic drug addiction, I'd rather see head trauma listed on a death certificate, instead of a drug overdose... :( :(

PeterG
02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Elvis was a joke for the last decade of his life, but people forget that. Elvis impersonators only imitate his Vegas years because they're all a bunch of blubbery old coots themselves.

They impersonate the Vegas years because none of them are able to pull this off. (http://spatzo.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/elvis-presley-68-comeback.jpg)

P.S. In the last ten years of Elvis' life, he released:

My Way
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Always On My Mind
Burning Love
Until It's Time for You to Go
I Really Don't Want To Know
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
The Wonder Of You
Kentucky Rain
Don't Cry Daddy
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
.... alone with other songs that hit the Top 40 of the pop charts. :)

Prancer
02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
No, of course not. Still, if I loved/was close to a person that was tortured by chronic drug addiction, I'd rather see head trauma listed on a death certificate, instead of a drug overdose... :( :(

Oh, I agree with you.

I just don't think it would make any difference in anything that people have said here.

allezfred
02-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I prefer to spend my money on music where I know for a fact that the performers involved have complete control over the entire process.

Personally, I like it when the performers are indentured slaves cranking out music in a dungeon after having sold their souls to a record label. :D

Cyn
02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
:confused: Whitney was mostly pop, no? :shuffle:

I always considered her music to be "Pop(ular) R&B," much the same way the likes of Taylor Swift (and other artists in the same vein) is "Pop(ular) Country" :shuffle:

And tell Al that Clair Huxtable called, and she wants her perm back :EVILLE:.

:rofl: :EVILLE:

Not all of the African American Community. And both Sharpton and Jackson (Jesse) are more often than not invited to very public events by white politicians wanting to "impress" the black community. Many would say the Black Community is "so over" these two.

Just about every African-American I know rolls their eyes and/or cringes when either of their names come up.

Remember "Coming to America" and the guy's geri-curl leaving a mark on the wall?

You mean this? :rofl: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAq2xWg_5AQ) (go to the 1:48 mark)

….and how could anyone forget this?

Just let your [high-pitched screeching][Soullllllll Gloooooooo!!!!![/high-pitched screeching] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-aqJ0Qggkg)

my little pony
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I am kinda :confused: at the idea that Whitney didn't have career longevity. She had her first hit in 1985. Twenty-seven years is pretty good run.

ita with manleywoman. i didnt think she generated music or tours anyone paid attention to in a long time.

antmanb
02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
ita with manleywoman. i didnt think she generated music or tours anyone paid attention to in a long time.

I don't know about that, her last European tour a couple of year ago generated a lot of attention. Mostly for how badly she sung on it :shuffle:

FiveRinger
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Maybe.....but you know that you have reached superstar status when people start giving their kids your name. How many Whitneys and Mariahs are running around here now? Huge spikes in the baby name lists during their career highs

my little pony
02-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Maybe.....but you know that you have reached superstar status when people start giving their kids your name. How many Whitneys and Mariahs are running around here now? Huge spikes in the baby name lists during their career highs

but that wasnt what manleywoman said. no one is debating that she is a star, just the length of her productive career.