PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38

FiveRinger
02-20-2012, 04:00 AM
And tell Al that Clair Huxtable called, and she wants her perm back :EVILLE:.

How do you know it's a perm? It could be a press and curl :lol:

Either one is ridiculous. I can envision him sleeping in rollers and a satin scarf. :yikes: Which is worse? Al's going gray or James Brown's which was black as coal and greasy enough to make him sweat?

Jemestone
02-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Either one is ridiculous. I can envision him sleeping in rollers and a satin scarf. :yikes: Which is worse? Al's going gray or James Brown's which was black as coal and greasy enough to make him sweat?

:rofl: You are too much :rofl:

But both did/do look ridiculous. I had a boy in my high school that permed his hair. Put it in ponytails, fingerwaves, you name it, he had it. He looked ridiculous too :lol:

loopey
02-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Either one is ridiculous. I can envision him sleeping in rollers and a satin scarf. :yikes: Which is worse? Al's going gray or James Brown's which was black as coal and greasy enough to make him sweat? :rofl:

Remember "Coming to America" and the guy's geri-curl leaving a mark on the wall? I remember that happened at my house. My sister's date left a stain on my mom's brand new sofa. :scream: :yikes: She told my sister he couldn't come back over until he either got rid of that "mess" or wore a swimming cap.

FiveRinger
02-20-2012, 10:30 AM

But both did/do look ridiculous. I had a boy in my high school that permed his hair. Put it in ponytails, fingerwaves, you name it, he had it. He looked ridiculous too :lol:

He would have tried to kick my ass because I couldn't look at that craziness and keep a straight face

:rofl:

Remember "Coming to America" and the guy's geri-curl leaving a mark on the wall? I remember that happened at my house. My sister's date left a stain on my mom's brand new sofa. :scream: :yikes: She told my sister he couldn't come back over until he either got rid of that "mess" or wore a swimming cap.

I have always hated curls and think the inventor should be shot. I never had one but my sister and mother did. Thank God they never wore the plastic bags on their heads. It sounds like your sister's boyfriend should have made that small investment. Many a pillowcase, headrest, shirt collar, and other furniture have been ruined by greasy-ass curl juice.

Civic
02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
He would have tried to kick my ass because I couldn't look at that craziness and keep a straight face

I have always hated curls and think the inventor should be shot. I never had one but my sister and mother did. Thank God they never wore the plastic bags on their heads. It sounds like your sister's boyfriend should have made that small investment. Many a pillowcase, headrest, shirt collar, and other furniture have been ruined by greasy-ass curl juice.

Ah, Jheri Curls. Another really bad fashion idea from the 80s. I confess that I did briefly wear one. However, I had the sense not to go around in public with a plastic cap on my head the way some people did. If your head left stains on furniture, walls, etc. then you had on too much curl solution.

Rex
02-20-2012, 02:01 PM

You couldn't tell me I didn't look good with my waves and curls. But oy, the maintenance required. Natural is better for me.

Karina1974
02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Kind of sad, but I agree. Now days what makes folks (singers in particular) famous is a lot more than their voices, and I kind of miss the old days.

Luckily for those of us who are into traditional music/dance, it is possible to see a group of performers on stage, whipping a crowd of dancers up into an enthusiatic frenzy using just their musical talents, nothing else. I just spent this past weekend playing witness to that, and I WAS one of those dancers caught up in that whirl of music, energy and gaiety (I was at a 3-day traditional music/dance festival up in Saratoga Springs, NY). And then there was the mini-concert I went to Saturday night (taking a break from the dancing) by a group called Baby States - it was folk music performed a la alternative rock. Very, very interesting, and I wish they had had a CD for sale, but they didn't.

Kevind85
02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
So Westboro didn't show but they're saying they did. They tweeted a photo of their "protest" which is basically two people photoshopped into another pic. Where they show the protestors standing is next to the church's entrance where no one was allowed.

manleywoman
02-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I really hope this doesn't sound horrible, but I'm genuinely curious:

I know she was a big pop star and all, but I'm a bit surprised at how huge this death and funeral seemed to affect people worldwide. Not surprised that all the celebrities came to the funeral, and that the various news outlets reported on it and outlined her career, etc, but more that the state of New Jersey seemed so devastated and that the music people were too. I mean, she was hardly a major player anymore, right?

I guess I would think that someone with more longevity (Aretha Franklin, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson of course, etc) would garner this type of hype at their deaths, and I'm just surprised of all the fuss over Whitney.

But perhaps I'm just not appreciating the legacy Houston left. I suppose the same fuss was made over Amy Winehouse, and she had one-quarter the length of career that Houston had.

allezfred
02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
I wish they had had a CD for sale, but they didn't.

I wonder why. :shuffle:

Karina1974
02-21-2012, 01:36 AM
I wonder why. :shuffle:

I don't quite get what you mean by that, unless you are referring to them not being backed by a label? A lot of the groups I have encountered in my 11 years as a "traditional" (contras/squares) dancer have put out albums without the benefit of a major (or a minor for that matter) recording company footing the bill. All 4 of the CD's I bought this weekend, and the 3 I bought at last year's festival, were self-released projects. I don't know about you, but I prefer to spend my money on music where I know for a fact that the performers involved have complete control over the entire process.

BigB08822
02-21-2012, 02:25 AM
So Westboro didn't show but they're saying they did. They tweeted a photo of their "protest" which is basically two people photoshopped into another pic. Where they show the protestors standing is next to the church's entrance where no one was allowed.

I read that article earlier. They tweeted something and said something like "this is what those people had to see..." and in the picture were two of three of their people holding up signs. All photoshopped. Why lie? It would be one thing to photoshop a pic but she specifically said that people saw them.

genevieve
02-21-2012, 02:49 AM
here's a surprising tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFAq9Q8l8U&sns=fb

Love that it takes the audience a minute to realize what it is (to be honest, it's not very recognizable at first blush)

Kasey
02-21-2012, 03:25 AM
here's a surprising tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFAq9Q8l8U&sns=fb

Love that it takes the audience a minute to realize what it is (to be honest, it's not very recognizable at first blush)

That is really nice, and seems very heartfelt.

4rkidz
02-21-2012, 03:29 AM
Don't let not having all the facts about people you will never know keep you from judging them. It hasn't stopped multiple other people in this thread...

:yikes:

:scream:

can you imagine if the toxicology reports come back clean and she fell and hit her head and died :shuffle: ;)