PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38

talulabell
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
And yet all the other professional performers managed it. :shuffle:

Didn't Aretha pull out last minute? I missed what was said, but she was called up, then Dionne said they were going to move on.

skatesindreams
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
She had a performance the night before; and became ill afterwards.

Coco
02-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, Aretha performed at Radio City Music Hall the night before the funeral and the night of the funeral, but said she was too exhausted to perform at the funeral.

Rex
02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
:yikes: :yikes::yikes:How on earth does one accidentally jam a coat hanger down one's throat?
You know how kids play with things that they aren't supposed to play with, and something crazy happens. Like kids whose heads get stuck in jars and the like.

loopey
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I just saw on tv someone saying that: 'We will never see another Whitney - the Entertainment industry isn't looking for another Whitney, they are looking for another Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga, or Beyonce.'

Kind of sad, but I agree. Now days what makes folks (singers in particular) famous is a lot more than their voices, and I kind of miss the old days.

PeterG
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm a little naive and confused as to why people here criticized Alicia Keys' singing.

We thought it was the new episode of The Voice and felt it was okay to critique someone who was actually paying tribute at a funeral for someone she cared about.

Oopsy.

Civic
02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Alicia was awful.

I didn't watch the funeral but I'm inclined to cut Keys a lot of slack here. This wasn't a concert where people paid good money to attend. This was a funeral pulled together within a week of Houston's death. Keys and the other performers didn't have a lot of time in which to rehearse and were probably coping with emotional distress.

Btw, my mother watched most of it and mentioned that it was over three hours long. That's not typical of most African-American funerals or home-going ceremonies. Whitney Houston's celebrity status meant more singers and speakers than usual. Funeral length and organization may also vary by denomination. In the African Methodist Episcopal Church (the denomination my family belongs to) funerals are usually less than two hours long and the liturgy is similar to that used in United Methodist churches.

Civic
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
^^ Another thing that sometimes happens is that an addict who is using drugs, like coke and is in recovery, can convince them self that alcohol is not their addiction. So, they believe they can handle alcohol, since it was not their drug of choice. I know it sounds foolish, but it does happen.

Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood come to mind.

allezfred
02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
I didn't watch the funeral but I'm inclined to cut Keys a lot of slack here. This wasn't a concert where people paid good money to attend. This was a funeral pulled together within a week of Houston's death. Keys and the other performers didn't have a lot of time in which to rehearse and were probably coping with emotional distress.

No, Alicia Keys is just crap live. :lol:

loopey
02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
No, Alicia Keys is just crap live. :lol:
Alicia is supposedly a heavy smoker, so that can't help.

Prancer
02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Dear Prancer, yes, just as I said, we all have suffered and many of us may be suffering now through a difficult experience. We cope as best we can, hopefully for the most part without projecting our hurt onto others. I wish you luck on your journey. :)

Thank you, dear afershocks. I wish you luck on yours as well, and hope that you continue to try to understand those who are still struggling along far behind you.

Jot the Dot Dot
02-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Can't say that I am a fan of her genre, R 'n B, but unquestionably, she was a talented lady. RIP Whitney.

FiveRinger
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Alicia is supposedly a heavy smoker, so that can't help.

I didn't know this .... :eek: most singers don't smoke and sing. The only one of recent memory that I can think of who chain smokes is Adele

allezfred
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I didn't know this .... :eek: most singers don't smoke and sing. The only one of recent memory that I can think of who chain smokes is Adele

Aretha Franklin was a heavy smoker until she quit in the 90s. Then again she started back in the day when people had no idea of the health risks.

Adele smoking just confirms for me what a silly bint she is. :P

Rex
02-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I didn't watch the funeral but I'm inclined to cut Keys a lot of slack here. This wasn't a concert where people paid good money to attend. This was a funeral pulled together within a week of Houston's death. Keys and the other performers didn't have a lot of time in which to rehearse and were probably coping with emotional distress. Maybe, but I have not been impressed with a lot of her live stuff.

Btw, my mother watched most of it and mentioned that it was over three hours long. That's not typical of most African-American funerals or home-going ceremonies. Whitney Houston's celebrity status meant more singers and speakers than usual. Funeral length and organization may also vary by denomination. In the African Methodist Episcopal Church (the denomination my family belongs to) funerals are usually less than two hours long and the liturgy is similar to that used in United Methodist churches.

My maternal grandma's funeral was over two hours long; but she was known and loved by so many people. Maybe that was it??? My dad's funeral too. My dad's sister? Barely an hour.

I just saw on tv someone saying that: 'We will never see another Whitney - the Entertainment industry isn't looking for another Whitney, they are looking for another Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga, or Beyonce.'

Kind of sad, but I agree. Now days what makes folks (singers in particular) famous is a lot more than their voices, and I kind of miss the old days. In many ways, she was a throwback to the days when people could actually sing. When singers actually interpreted songs.