PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38

Cheylana
02-19-2012, 08:46 AM
She was playing with a coat hanger and in a freak accident, jammed it down her throat, almost decapitating her uvula(sp?) and they had to surgically reattach it.
:yikes: :yikes::yikes:How on earth does one accidentally jam a coat hanger down one's throat?

aftershocks
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
:yikes: :yikes::yikes:How on earth does one accidentally jam a coat hanger down one's throat?

Well, children do have strange accidents. She could have been laughing and running with the coat hanger and then tripped and fell which could possibly have caused the hanger to become jammed down her throat. Who knows? My little sister swallowed a ring when she was 3 years old, and we were all trying to get it out of her mouth before she swallowed it, but to no avail. The doctor told my parents not to worry, and fortunately, the ring came out the next day from another part of her body ;), without any damage done to her internal organs.

She was playing with a coat hanger and in a freak accident, jammed it down her throat, almost decapitating her uvula(sp?) and they had to surgically reattach it.

Gracious Lord, Whitney was truly blessed! To me, this revelation of her childhood accident is clear evidence. Definitely, Whitney was not close to being like Mother Teresa, but she was indeed blessed.

I remember chills running up my spine on many occasions when I listened to Whitney sing. I’ll never forget watching The Preacher’s Wife, when it debuted in theaters. While listening to Whitney sing in that film I was uplifted and it became overwhelmingly clear to me that she had the voice of an angel – truly a gift from God. I admit that I have been a fan who was very disappointed in seeing how many of the choices Whitney made in her life caused her pain and destroyed the beautiful image I had of her. I have come to realize that the “image” was an illusion, but that her beauty was real and everlasting, even in the ugliness of her addiction and her startlingly crude public embarrassments. Still I was disappointed and I felt somehow let down that she could not just quit the slide into pain and addiction. She had so much talent and seemingly so much success. Apparently, to see someone like Whitney falter brought out my own worst fears, and caused me to point fingers and to find blame and criticize, so that maybe I could feel better about my own failings and problems – or perhaps so that I could find a way to deal with the blasted illusion. Obviously there are many too who find sport in tearing down talented imperfect people who stumble and lose their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpscrUXtKA&feature=related
I found Whitney’s interview with Oprah very revealing and very sad.
Still Whitney’s spirit seemed to be fighting to find a way to carry on despite an underlying unhappiness. Whitney seemed to be indicating in the interview that although she felt her voice was a gift, in some ways she also felt that it was a burden. Did she feel this way because she essentially lacked confidence and was unable to handle the hot glare of fame and loss of privacy that came as a result of her astonishing voice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pze_mdbOK8&ob=av2e
After seeing the video, I Look to You, it seems to me that Whitney was singing her own epitaph. Our task perhaps is not to wonder why she could not overcome her demons and her pain, nor to blame her or others, but to give thanks for the gift of her voice that she shared with us so extraordinarily, so gloriously, so innocently, so modestly, and so joyously. I agree with the youtube poster who hopes to gain inspiration from the soulful beauty and message of faith that Whitney imparts in the singing of this song. Haven’t we all, don’t we all even now suffer in the “dark night of the soul?”

As I lay me down, Heaven hear me now
I’m lost without a cause, after giving it my all.
Winter storms have come, and darkened my sun.
After all that I’ve been through, who on earth can I turn to?
I look to you, I look to you.
After all my strength is gone, in You I can be strong.
I look to you. I look to you.
And when melodies are gone, in you I hear a song. I look to you.
After losing all my breath, there’s no more fighting left.
Sinking to rise no more, searching for that open door.
Every road that I’ve taken, led to my regret.
And I don’t know if I’m going to make it.
Nothing to do but lift my head.
I look to you. I look to you.
And when all my strength is gone, in You I can be strong.
I look to you.

twinsissv
02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Those lyrics from "I Will Always Love You" took on a whole new meaning as they walked the coffin down the aisle. I'd have sworn that Whitney, herself, was bidding good-bye and wishing comfort to the gathered mourners and guests. What a beautiful and appropriate ending to the service. Just beautiful.

Prancer
02-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Obviously there are many too who find sport in tearing down talented imperfect people who stumble and lose their way.

Dear me, that sounds like finger pointing, blaming and criticizing.

But it must just be the way I'm reading it. I'm sure you actually understand perfectly well that such people are dealing with their fears and inadequacies as best they know how, just as you did. :saint:

John 3 17
02-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Amy Winehouse told people for years that she would die from drinking too much, but it didn't stop her.

Innumerable addicts have reacted to the deaths of addicted friends by numbing themselves with their poisons of choice.

Rational decision making and learning from observation are not characteristics one finds in addicts. If they were capable of that, it wouldn't be so difficult for them to go to rehab or stop using altogether.

That's why I said "wish". I will say though, that people in my own family, when faced with the fear of their alcohol addiction ruining their lives, have "woken up" to it and quit cold turkey. It depends on the person, not all addicts are the same.

Prancer
02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
That's why I said "wish". I will say though, that people in my own family, when faced with the fear of their alcohol addiction ruining their lives, have "woken up" to it and quit cold turkey. It depends on the person, not all addicts are the same.

Of course they aren't. But given the extremely low success rate of addiction treatment, I'd say that it's very unusual for people to just decide to quit and do it, all on their own. Very few people manage it with help.

John 3 17
02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Of course they aren't. But given the extremely low success rate of addiction treatment, I'd say that it's very unusual for people to just decide to quit and do it, all on their own. Very few people manage it with help.

I know, it was a miracle.

leesaleesa
02-19-2012, 02:25 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with "waking up". Either you beat the disease, or it beats you, just like any other. disease. It depends on how badly affected the person is.

I believe addiction is a disease. Sure, you can choose not to use your drug of choice, but controlling the impulse to do so is impossible for some people. It was this way for one of my best friends. She realized AA wasn't going to work, and she was going to drink or be miserable. Her AA buddies deserted her, and she was able to get down to just beer and wine, and drink to the point of feeling all right and rarely out of control drunk. She died young at 47, but she was happy when she died, and knew all along it would kill her. I was thrilled she found a way to get 20 years of enjoyment of life instead of being miserable trying to kick it. She simply couldn't.

cruisin
02-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Your family member/s are even more lucky than you realize. Going "cold turkey" without medical supervision, can be very dangerous. And I suppose, your family member/s struggle daily with staying clean and sober. They may be strong in their recovery, but the beast is always there.

As to - not all addicts are the same - you're right. It is rare that an addict can quit "cold turkey" and just move on. More often than not, and addict has relapses of some sort. Whether that is relapsing into the same addiction or developing a new one to take it's place, it is a life long struggle.

Coco
02-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah, my brother's well intentioned boss suggested he spend a weekend at the boss' home and go cold turkey from alcohol. My brother ended up being hospitalized in a very traumatizing and expensive way.

Too bad we're not litigious.

Lacey
02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm a little naive and confused as to why people here criticized Alicia Keys' singing.

allezfred
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm a little naive and confused as to why people here criticized Alicia Keys' singing.

Because she was terribly out of tune. :P

skatesindreams
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
She didn't sing/sound well, at all.
Whether it was the emotion of the occasion., or some other problem, I don't know.

aftershocks
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Dear me, that sounds like finger pointing, blaming and criticizing.

But it must just be the way I'm reading it. I'm sure you actually understand perfectly well that such people are dealing with their fears and inadequacies as best they know how, just as you did. :saint:

Dear Prancer, yes, just as I said, we all have suffered and many of us may be suffering now through a difficult experience. We cope as best we can, hopefully for the most part without projecting our hurt onto others. I wish you luck on your journey. :)

Because she was terribly out of tune. :P

Perhaps Alicia's heart is broken, which made it difficult for her to stay in key. Based on personal experience, I know it is quite difficult to speak or sing at the funeral of a loved one -- be they friend or relative.

allezfred
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Perhaps Alicia's heart is broken, which made it difficult for her to stay in key. Based on personal experience, I know it is quite difficult to speak or sing at the funeral of a loved one -- be they friend or relative.

And yet all the other professional performers managed it. :shuffle: