PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

FiveRinger
02-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Is anyone going to re-broadcast this? I am working on-site today and missed it

kittyjake5
02-18-2012, 09:47 PM
How many of your folks have ever seen a black church funeral service before?
Just curious. It was a bit over the top because it was Whitney but other than that it was "Church". The best eulogy for me was her sister-in-law Rachael.

FiveRinger
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Just curious. It was a bit over the top because it was Whitney but other than that it was "Church". The best eulogy for me was her sister-in-law Rachael.

I haven't had a chance to see this, but as an African American woman I can say "we" can get pretty emotional. After my mother's funeral I told my family to give me a grave side service or cremate me.....

bek
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM

I haven't been to a black funeral, but I've been to a black church so not surprised.

skatesindreams
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I have.
I thought that Whitney's service was remarkably restrained!

Rex
02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I just love it when each Choir member does their own thing. That doesn't happen in a white church.

It's totally from the heart.

Norlite
02-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Bobby Brown"s statement:

“My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston. We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions.

“I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move,” he said. “Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur. I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/02/bobby-brown-explains-why-he-left-whitney-houstons-funeral/

BigB08822
02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Costner's eulogy was a little odd to me. Maybe I am missing something, but why was he talking about her role in "The Bodyguard" like it was Oscar worthy? Was it really that great and I missed it?

Anyone else wondering if there will be a push to get Whitney an Oscar for "Sparkle" a la Health Ledger?

I need to rewatch the movie to pay attention to her acting skills but I know Whitney was nominated for a Razzie. I don't think she was nominated for any of the real awards. Now, just because she was nominated for a Razzie doesn't mean she was horrible, those awards like to nominate the bigger stars to get the most attention. There are plenty of worse performances by actors and actresses we have never heard of but that wouldn't get them any attention, would it?

bek
02-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Bobby Brown"s statement:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/02/bobby-brown-explains-why-he-left-whitney-houstons-funeral/

Apparently Jessie Jackson said they were told to move and then told there was no where else to sit them. Its ridiculous especially to do that to Bobbi Kristina's own siblings.

BigB08822
02-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Clive's turn.

I want to believe that he truly cared for her and tried to help Whitney to get on the right path, but the cynic in me thinks he cared more about how much money she could make him as opposed to caring about Whitney the person :(

He footed most of her bills but not the funeral. Hmmmm

The article in People was very disturbing to me- how he molded her into what seemed to to be the complete opposite of who she truly was. No professional decisions made by her. Must've been a very difficult life.

I don't know if this is going to be a popular opinion but I blame Clive Davis for many of Whitney's troubles. I haven't liked him for a long time so maybe my views are skewed by my dislike for him. He found Whitney at a young age and then, and excuse my choice of words, he made her his slave. He hand picked everything for her from her songs to her clothes to how she did her hair. She just did as told. I think she went along with it for a while and then she began rebelling in her own ways, with drugs. Instead of making sure she got REAL help, Clive would hide her away and use some major PR spin to keep the media in the dark. This wasn't helping her, it was telling her that no matter what mess she caused it would always be cleaned up. No wonder she never was able to really quit, she had no reason to quit.

Twizzler
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't know if this is going to be a popular opinion but I blame Clive Davis for many of Whitney's troubles. I haven't liked him for a long time so maybe my views are skewed by my dislike for him. He found Whitney at a young age and then, and excuse my choice of words, he made her his slave. He hand picked everything for her from her songs to her clothes to how she did her hair. She just did as told. I think she went along with it for a while and then she began rebelling in her own ways, with drugs. Instead of making sure she got REAL help, Clive would hide her away and use some major PR spin to keep the media in the dark. This wasn't helping her, it was telling her that no matter what mess she caused it would always be cleaned up. No wonder she never was able to really quit, she had no reason to quit.

Those are kind of my thoughts as well. His eulogy seemed very impersonal to me. Saying "all the right things", but it didn't seem as if he knew her very well. Strange since he worked with her for so long. Who knows, maybe he's just really private and doesn't want to share his true emotions.

Rex
02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
I need to rewatch the movie to pay attention to her acting skills but I know Whitney was nominated for a Razzie. I don't think she was nominated for any of the real awards. Now, just because she was nominated for a Razzie doesn't mean she was horrible, those awards like to nominate the bigger stars to get the most attention. There are plenty of worse performances by actors and actresses we have never heard of but that wouldn't get them any attention, would it?
I'll admit she was not great in that movie - I've snarled about it here several times. She looked beautiful, however. She was considerably better by the time The Preacher's Wife came out. Whitney did say yes to Clive, with a little egging from Cissy. cissy is known to be rather bossy, so put the two together.

leesaleesa
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Why is it anyone's fault? Whitney was an addict. She would have been an addict if Clive Davis or Bobby Brown never crossed her path.

The woman said it for herself: She was no angel. It's sad, it's a waste, but it's a fact, and no one's fault. Not all addicts make it, no matter how much help they get.

bek
02-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Those are kind of my thoughts as well. His eulogy seemed very impersonal to me. Saying "all the right things", but it didn't seem as if he knew her very well. Strange since he worked with her for so long. Who knows, maybe he's just really private and doesn't want to share his true emotions.

I post an interview with Clive (before Whitney died) in this thread. He pretty much said that he separates himself from the people he works with personally/professionally. I.e he's open for anything during the work week but on weekends that's HIS time with his family. He apparently said that he considers the artist personal life none of his concern as long as they are professional when they are performing for HIM. It wasn't until Bobby Brown went to jail and he felt it had completely gotten out of control publically that he brought up rehab-for her and Bobby.

He may very well cared but it was a professional relationship.

As for Whitney the "slave" I find that difficult to believe. I don't see why its so wrong for a singer-notice a singer whose that young to be guided. Seems like although I could be wrong she got a little more control the older she got.

In the end of the day Whitney made her choices.

The whole its someone's fault is ridiculous. Whitney grew up around drugs. I know there were reports one of her brothers was caught with coke/crack. The idea that its just Bobby, Clive's fault is ridiculous. The idea its Cissy's too. Whitney was a 48 year old woman perfectly capable of making different choices if she desired.

John 3 17
02-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Word.

One of my parents was a serious substance abuser from my earliest memories as a small child, until the day he passed away. I loved him dearly, but there aren't enough hours in a day to explain the ways that his "disease" harmed us.

He woke up everyday with the choice to use or not use. He had the choice, and the alcohol always won. Is it incredibly difficult to quit? Of course, but it can be done. You have to really want it, and live day by day working your recovery, putting it first in your life, but it's certainly not impossible.

People who have certain types of cancer, or other terminal illnesses have no choice. Their choice was taken away from the onstart of their nightmare. Substance abuse is a nightmare, too, but at least those that suffer from it have a choice every day. It may be a gut-wrenching choice, but it's still their choice.

The harm that is done on a daily basis to those who live with/love/care about the addict is the by-product of the choice that is made each day to use.

My father had a choice. Whitney had a choice. Many do.

These things are hard for me to say because they are personal, and I know I should just stay away from this thread. :(

ITA; if I didn't know that Whitney had tried to overcome, I would not defend her. But I know she did. She seems to have gotten away from coke; she died more than likely from a deadly combintion of alcohol & Xanax. Yes, she should've known better than to be drinking -- she had an addivtive personality/disease and she should have stayed away from everything addictive. But, maybe she thought alcohol was a "safer" addiction than coke & maybe she felt the booze kept her away from coke. IDK. But at least I know she tried. She was in rehab as recently as May '11. I wish that Whitney would've realized how dangerous alcohol addiction was when Amy Winehouse died that way.

-Bridget