PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

bek
02-18-2012, 06:48 AM
My problem with Zoe Saldana playing Whitney is that Whitney was African American. Zoe isn't. Roles for African American actresses are scarce enough!

Anika Noni Rose would be an excellent choice if she were 6 inches taller.

I have a hard time thinking that Zoe isn't treated like she's African American by the industry, given her skin color. Yes she's culturally different but we are talking about acting a role. And Zoe is very clear that she's black; she's not trying to pass herself as white. She considers herself a Black Latina.. But I doubt that the industry says oh "your a Black Latina" we will treat you better.. :lol: I would think that rather just as an Irish person can portray an English person... Perhaps a Black Latina should be able to play an African America, and an African American-a black Latina.

FunnyBut
02-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Not sure who should play Whitney , but I think there needs to be 3 actresses involved: child Whitney, young adult Whitney (18-25yrs) and mature Whitney (~40yrs). All three phases of her life are interesting and decidedly different. (I don't want to see one actress morphed ala Benjamin Button).

Some of you are gonna hate me, but I'm suggesting Beyonce. I can think of no one else who could represent her stature and beauty, and I think Beyonce has a lovely voice, though not as extraordinary as Whitney's. I would pay to see the movie just hear Beyonce say 'It's not me who's been shot...it's..it's...my bodyguard!' :rofl: I love JHud and think she's an excellent actress, but she's just not Whitney Houston.

John 3 17
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
This is a truly beautiful CNN interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATuj9acHiFE)with Whitney's close friend, Gospel singer and pastor, Kim Burrell, about Whitney's faith and struggle with demons.

I've been watching and crying my eyes out over Whitney's beautiful Gospel song and video from 2009, "I Look to You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pze_mdbOK8&ob=av2e). I know that she tried hard and prayed often. I know that she is in Heaven singing with the angels in praise of God right now.

-Bridget

cruisin
02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
They do and it's not right and hypocritical. One can't think they can continue to receive "blessings" by wrongfully doing these things and not attempting to get help.

I don't think you fully understand the fact that addiction is an illness. Would you think a person who has cancer and praises the Lord was a hypocrite? When Whitney praised the Lord, she meant it. That, however, did not take away her illness. She did have blessings, her voice, her daughter, people who did love her. But, she also had a serious illness. Something else you need to consider, is that most (if not all) addicts have underlying mental disorders. Many of them are bipolar, clinically depressed, schizophrenic, they are self medicating. They get help, but too often the disease is stronger than their ability to remain in recovery.

As far as who should play whitney: I think they should wait several years before they do that. And, the actress doesn't have to be Whitney's twin. Diana Ross looked nothing like Billie Holiday, but she was spectacular in Lady Sings the Blues.

FiveRinger
02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Some of you are gonna hate me, but I'm suggesting Beyonce. I can think of no one else who could represent her stature and beauty, and I think Beyonce has a lovely voice, though not as extraordinary as Whitney's. I would pay to see the movie just hear Beyonce say 'It's not me who's been shot...it's..it's...my bodyguard!' :rofl: I love JHud and think she's an excellent actress, but she's just not Whitney Houston.

God wouldn't punish me or the rest of the world like that. Beyonce is no Whitney. Granted, neither one could act. Beyonce's beauty is completely different than Whitney's and so is her singing voice. Whoever mentioned an unknown actress had an excellent idea. Beyonce would be completely unconvincing, imo.

FiveRinger
02-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I believe it's phony when a person praises Jesus one minute and 5 minutes later they're drinking and doing cocaine. You can't continue to say your praising Jesus for his blessings and continue to do drugs without attempting to get help.

I respectfully disagree with this. Everyone has their own relationship with God. It's wrong to question someone's faith. There are many people who struggle with addiction and are able to come to terms with it thru faith and the belief that God is forgiving, that God loves us, and that if you take one step he'll take two. For those who have deep roots in the church, especially those who grew up in the church, as Whitney has, understand this and knows that we are not perfect, but we will try and many times fail. God expects us to fail, but he also wants us to continue to try. He knows that we have problems and he wants us to "lay your burdens down" before him so that He can help. Being an addict and being blastphemous are two completely separate issues.

ETA: One of the 12 steps in AA and NA is to admit that there is a higher power than you and accept it

For the record, I feel the same way about pastors/ministers/bishops condemning homosexuality and calling gays abominations yet they are "cruising" at the church or at clubs later on.

This is an entirely situation because those who do these types of things are harming others and no one is going to condone that. The problem with that is presenting themselves to be one thing and really being someone else. That, in and of itself, when you are in a position of religious leadership, is wrong. That is being a hypocrite, and I agree with you there.

Kasey
02-18-2012, 05:15 PM
You think drug addicts aren't harming others? (not being snarky, just not quite sure where your deliniation is). Just because addiction is a disease doesn't mean that adults with it, who choose to do nothing about it (which is many of them) shouldn't be held to some accountability or responsibility for their behaviors and how it affects others. And there is a LOT of harm, emotionally, physically, financially, etc, caused to other people by addicts, including to people they don't even know.

bek
02-18-2012, 05:17 PM
You think drug addicts aren't harming others? (not being snarky, just not quite sure where your deliniation is). Just because addiction is a disease doesn't mean that adults with it, who choose to do nothing about it (which is many of them) shouldn't be held to some accountability or responsibility for their behaviors and how it affects others. And there is a LOT of harm, emotionally, physically, financially, etc, caused to other people by addicts, including to people they don't even know.

I do agree with this. Look at the mess that is going on Mexico for example... Of course one could argue maybe different drug laws would stop cartels from making money. But drug addiction isn't victimless.

Still though I doubt she meant to hurt anyone; addictions can be hard to control.

skatesindreams
02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
This is a truly beautiful CNN interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATuj9acHiFE)with Whitney's close friend, Gospel singer and pastor, Kim Burrell, about Whitney's faith and struggle with demons.

I've been watching and crying my eyes out over Whitney's beautiful Gospel song and video from 2009, "I Look to You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pze_mdbOK8&ob=av2e). I know that she tried hard and prayed often. I know that she is in Heaven singing with the angels in praise of God right now.

-Bridget

This is how we should remember her, today.
Let the "blame", of Whitney, and others, go - for now.
It's something that can be discussed at a more appropriate time.

judiz
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I think it's too early to be casting who would play Whitney in a movie, let the poor woman rest in peace and her family mourn - bad enough they can't mourn in private.

nubka
02-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Word.

One of my parents was a serious substance abuser from my earliest memories as a small child, until the day he passed away. I loved him dearly, but there aren't enough hours in a day to explain the ways that his "disease" harmed us.

He woke up everyday with the choice to use or not use. He had the choice, and the alcohol always won. Is it incredibly difficult to quit? Of course, but it can be done. You have to really want it, and live day by day working your recovery, putting it first in your life, but it's certainly not impossible.

People who have certain types of cancer, or other terminal illnesses have no choice. Their choice was taken away from the onstart of their nightmare. Substance abuse is a nightmare, too, but at least those that suffer from it have a choice every day. It may be a gut-wrenching choice, but it's still their choice.

The harm that is done on a daily basis to those who live with/love/care about the addict is the by-product of the choice that is made each day to use.

My father had a choice. Whitney had a choice. Many do.

These things are hard for me to say because they are personal, and I know I should just stay away from this thread. :(

duane
02-18-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't always agree with Wendy's brash style, but she is right to say one can't say one thing publicly,i.e thanking Jesus and God; then the next minute getting drunk and snorting cocaine. It's phony and hypocritical.
Oh yes, the Jesus-like Wendy Williams. She is a shining example of a true, God-fearing christian woman. :rolleyes:

Tho I'm an atheist, I too think it's wrong to question a person's faith. I'm sure everyone has been hypocritical/phony and has done things that are in total opposition of their faith.

JAF
02-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Anyone watching the funeral on CNN?

skatesindreams
02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Sometimes, the physiological/psychological power of addiction is more powerful than the will/desire/free choice of the addicted person.

Anyone watching the funeral on CNN?

I am.

nubka
02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Sometimes, the physiological/psychological power of addiction is more powerful than the will/desire/free choice of the addicted person.

That's why there is rehab/AA/other programs, where an addict can learn to regain the power of choice, if they really want it and are willing to put the work in to make it happen. I'm not saying that it is easy. :( :(