PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

cruisin
02-16-2012, 04:32 AM
The rumors surrounding Whitney's funeral are have taken on a life of their own. If I hear one more person tell me that there's a public funeral for Whitney Houston at the Pru Center on Friday and/or Saturday, and that all of Newark will be shut down for it, I am going to explode.

The funeral is Saturday, at The New Hope Baptist Church. It is private (invitation only), though they have agreed to allow cameras inside. There was talk about it being at The Rock, but that was never really going to happen. The Devils have a home game there Friday night. Newark will not be shut down, though I suspect there will be some major traffic jams. But it's Saturday.

vesperholly
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are two versions of the song, Live version of Bobby Brown's On Our Own (http://youtu.be/Z0C3zckQ4Kk). Look at his showmanship.

2nd version (http://youtu.be/ducEUo6aTtA), Look at the cameos in this video.

I forgot how much I love this song *dances* I love rediscovering all that great new jack swing of the late 80s/early 90s! :cheer2:

RobbieB
02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Now people are saying her music shouldn't be celebrated because of her personal troubles.

Some people just think they are perfect and therefore can judge other people based on their perfection. It's sad really. I say celebrate the music she created...and let the addiction serve as a reminder and a lesson to the young ones starting in the business, that drug and alcohol addiction is no respecter of persons.

cruisin
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
The sad thing is that the young ones probably will not learn from this. They typically think they are immune. That they are different, they can control the drugs. Some don't start using recreationally, some use because they just can't handle the pace or the fame. They usually don't learn until it's too late. Some are able to get help for addiction. Some can recover, though there is no cure.

Rex
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Is it just me, or are only a few celebs acknowledging the fact that Whitney was hooked on drugs? Chaka Khan (who herself has struggled with addiction) and Jennifer Holiday were honest enough to say something. It only confirms what I think - that drug and alcohol abuse are so rampant in show business, no one can speak out. When you point your finger at someone else, you've got three pointing back - at you.

Rex
02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
A gay man's take on Whitney's divadom (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johnmanuel-andriote/whitney-houston_b_1277386.html). I like the way he summed it up.

I for myself, I remember first seeing her at Humphrey's in San Diego. They had been playing her songs on the radio so much I had to see if she sounded that good in the flesh. She was doing a mini-tour to promote her first album. There were rumors that the show might get canceled because she had laryngitis. But sure enough she came out on stage, pretty as a picture, her hair a short, dark blond jheri curled afro pulled back by one of those headbands with a bow in it (the rage at the time) to match her green dress suit, complete with puffy, Dynasty-esque sleeves. She apologized for sounding hoarse, but she promised that her singing voice was fine and dandy, and boy was she ever right!!! She started off singing Lionel Richie's Love Will Find A Way, and she didn't let up for two hours. I was in love. When they said she was a rare combination of talent and beauty they were not lying.

I guess Clive Davis did soften her edges a bit and did a job of hiding the "real" Whitney, but when did show business NOT prepackage anyone? De-ethnicizing names and noses, shaving off pounds, enhancing titties and changing less-than savory backgrounds to create someone palatable to the general public?

Rob
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Ew, I just saw an update on CNN where the announcer was saying that other guests at her hotel have come out and said Whitney was at the hotel pool on the 8th and 9th drinking heavily before 10 am and complaining that her drinks were watered down with too much ice. She was jumping in and out of the pool doing somersaults and acting erratically. The part I found funny was that they noted that she was wearing mismatched clothing. If that means 2 different colored shoes, ok, but if her pants didn't match her top, then I must be drunk when I go to the store weekends. She partied at the hotel and other places on the night of the 10th. She was drinking poolside before 10am on the day of her death, but acting normally. Then the announcer made a huge deal out of having a drink before 10 am. :slinkaway I've had bloody marys before that time.

BigB08822
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I always take these after the fact accounts with a grain of salt. People seem to only remember the most glaring and news worthy behaviors. It wasn't enough to notify anyone at the time or sell a story to a rag but now suddenly it is? I tend to think they are greatly exaggerated or taken out of context.

skatesindreams
02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Some people just think they are perfect and therefore can judge other people based on their perfection. It's sad really. I say celebrate the music she created...and let the addiction serve as a reminder and a lesson to the young ones starting in the business, that drug and alcohol addiction is no respecter of persons.

This!
Too many people fail to understand, or don't choose to realize, that addiction is an illness; one that requires a lifetime of treatment to control.

cruisin
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
This!
Too many people fail to understand, or don't choose to realize, that addiction is an illness; one that requires a lifetime of treatment to control.

You are absolutely right. Many people do not believe it is an illness. There are people who still believe that addicts should just "get over it, and stop". It is a serious, horrible illness which is very, very difficult to treat.

skatesindreams
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Some of the "recovering celebrity addicts" that have been interviewed since her death have been very harsh and judgmental about Whitney and her struggle.

ballettmaus
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
If that means 2 different colored shoes,

There was a time when people wore that on purpose though :P I'd say mismatched clothing is very subjective.

cruisin
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Some of the "recovering celebrity addicts" that have been interviewed since her death have been very harsh and judgmental about Whitney and her struggle.

I think that is somewhat human nature. Do you know any former smokers? As much as I hate smelling/breathing cigarette smoke, my husband (who is a former smoker) is absolutely belligerent about being around smokers. Even if they are not smoking at the time, the smell on their clothes drives him nuts. I think it's a combination of being sanctimonious and fear of relapse themselves.

AxelAnnie
02-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Flying the flag at half staff for a singer who was a known drug user and not for the soldiers who return home in caskets - so wrong.

I couldn't agree more. It really troubles me.

Rex
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
If Nixon can have buildings named after him, flying a flag at half-mast for a fallen famous citizen from one's home state is not a crime. I don't know if I would have done it as governor, but I mean, really...