PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Louis
02-16-2012, 12:19 AM
The rumors surrounding Whitney's funeral are have taken on a life of their own. If I hear one more person tell me that there's a public funeral for Whitney Houston at the Pru Center on Friday and/or Saturday, and that all of Newark will be shut down for it, I am going to explode.

Honestly, people at work have canceled meetings and are working from home on Friday because of this mythical Whitney Houston funeral at the Pru Center. And for some reason, this is not being questioned or exposed as blatantly false.

If you can't beat em, join 'em. So now I'm going to work from home, too. :lol: Thanks, Whitney, for great songs and for extending a holiday weekend by an extra day. :respec:

Prancer
02-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Sounds like Beyonce can be quite the bitch in business. In the interests of balance, I can share that a friend in the hotel business told me a few years back that everybody in the industry loved her and Jay-Z. Aside from always booking the most expensive suites, they always paid full price when many celebrities expect lots of freebies. They were always gracious to staff, and even made their own bed.

One of my former students worked for Destiny's Child as a stylist for three years and she said that the girls were all wonderful to work for--very gracious and polite and just all around nice to deal with.

It was their mothers who were:yikes:.

topaz
02-16-2012, 01:05 AM
So Bobby Brown didn't get Whitney into drugs and he shouldn't be blamed for that, but didn't he beat her? I wasn't a close follower of Whitney's by any means (I don't even own one CD) but I thought that there was a lot of domestic abuse before the divorce? Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!

-Bridget

I think Bobby and Whitney's relationship was physically and verbally abusive on both ends by both of them. From what I understand it was mostly verbal.

Whitney was no wilting flower and I'm sure she physically fought him. I recall her calling in to a Wendy Williams radio show and telling Wendy that if she didn't stop talking about her and she(Whitney) was going to go to the studio and meet her outside.

From my experience as of late, couples I knew or heard of who've had physical domestic abuse in their relationships, the physical abuse came from both partners. Meaning, both parties fight each other. Especially in the relationship involving young people and gay male that I'm privy too.

I read a recent statisic that shows the 40% of domestic abuse situations happen towards men.

Badams
02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
I loved Bobby Brown back in the day. "Don't Be Cruel" is an R&B Classic Album. The entire ALBUM is/was fabulous. An album that was produced by LA Reid and Babyface and mixed by the great Teddy Riley. Video for Don't Be Cruel (http://youtu.be/zfpeiQOinok)

Bobby was a fantastic entertainer, he's had several #1 songs and folks forget he had the title song for a motion picture, Ghostbuster II.

Here are two versions of the song, Live version of Bobby Brown's On Our Own (http://youtu.be/Z0C3zckQ4Kk). Look at his showmanship.

2nd version (http://youtu.be/ducEUo6aTtA), Look at the cameos in this video.

WOW! I had forgotten how many of his songs I actually know! Thank you for the links.

judiz
02-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Flying the flag at half staff for a singer who was a known drug user and not for the soldiers who return home in caskets - so wrong.

Sasha'sSpins
02-16-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm just happy that people who didn't know that Dolly wrote it and took it to #1 first will know it now. Every contract is different in regards to what the writer/performer gets, what ever Dolly/Whitney's estate gets for the song I'm sure they thought it was fair at the time.

Whitney isn't the only person to record the song so I can't imagine Dolly's too upset about someone else singing it.

I can't imagine Dolly would be too upset either-she's made a fortune out of just that one song.

Per this article composers and publishers get about 8 cents every time their song is played on the radio:
Whitney Houston's Financial Worth After Death (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57378141/whitney-houstons-financial-worth-after-death/)

Houston's estate is expected to take in about $10 million this year, but that's far less than others will make because Houston did not write or own her songs. The bulk of royalties go to the songwriter and the publisher. In fact, they get about eight cents every time one of their songs is played on the radio.

Coco
02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Flying the flag at half staff for a singer who was a known drug user and not for the soldiers who return home in caskets - so wrong.

What NJ soldier didn't get the flag flown at half mast?

I'm not a Christie fan, but I like his response to this criticism - "but for the grace of God."

Topaz - thanks for the BB links. I was raised on New Edition and their 'diaspora' so that brings back many happy memories.

jenny12
02-16-2012, 02:06 AM
This is a joke; one of Bobby's biggest hits was called My Prerogative.

Yeah. Everybody's talking all this stuff about him, why don't they just let him live?

:o Sorry.

Rex
02-16-2012, 02:29 AM
I loved Bobby Brown back in the day. "Don't Be Cruel" is an R&B Classic Album. The entire ALBUM is/was fabulous. An album that was produced by LA Reid and Babyface and mixed by the great Teddy Riley. Video for Don't Be Cruel (http://youtu.be/zfpeiQOinok)

Bobby was a fantastic entertainer, he's had several #1 songs and folks forget he had the title song for a motion picture, Ghostbuster II.

Here are two versions of the song, Live version of Bobby Brown's On Our Own (http://youtu.be/Z0C3zckQ4Kk). Look at his showmanship.

2nd version (http://youtu.be/ducEUo6aTtA), Look at the cameos in this video.
A great raw talent, he was.

duane
02-16-2012, 02:41 AM
I loved Bobby Brown back in the day. "Don't Be Cruel" is an R&B Classic Album.

Yes, many seem to have forgotten how huge Bobby Brown was pre Whitney Houston. He was the man in the mid 80's...sexy, a good singer, and he had some serious moves. His high-top fade was awesome too! I love the "Every Little Step" video.

Louis
02-16-2012, 03:03 AM

Recognizing people for their talents and for their generous contributions to society (or in this case a specific state) does not mean overlooking their flaws.

I support Christie's decisions to fly the flags at half staff for Whitney. I hope she can be both an inspiration and a cautionary tale for others.

Rex
02-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah. Everybody's talking all this stuff about him, why don't they just let him live?
:o Sorry.
Oh, jenny12 :lol:

BigB08822
02-16-2012, 03:55 AM
We fly the flag at half staff for troops and other big events, like after 9-11. Do you think every person who died in 9-11 was clean and sober or that every soldier we lose always led a perfect life? It is so silly and judgmental to even say it bothers you. Why do you care? I agree with Christie, for once.

bek
02-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Recognizing people for their talents and for their generous contributions to society (or in this case a specific state) does not mean overlooking their flaws.

I support Christie's decisions to fly the flags at half staff for Whitney. I hope she can be both an inspiration and a cautionary tale for others.

Exactly. We all have our faults issues. Hasn't Whitney paid enough for her bad choices? She destroyed her career, voice, caused great deal of pain to those around her; and possibly (although we don't know) destroyed her life. Addiction is very difficult to overcome; we don't know that she didn't try. She and those who loved her paid enough for that addiction; why not celebrate the good parts of her too.

What kind of message do we send to people with addictions if we tell them that their addiction erases every good thing about them?

That girl had an absolutely gorgeous voice-which she choose to share with the world. She didn't have too; and at times I wonder if she felt her life would be easier if she had just chosen to sing in the church. She was expected to be perfect Whitney; and soon as she was no longer perfect she was ridiculed.

Now people are saying her music shouldn't be celebrated because of her personal troubles.

nubka
02-16-2012, 04:32 AM

ITA. :( :(