PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Scintillation
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I remember seeing a couple of clips of Whitney from the late 80's/early 90's that were supposed to be highlighting her goofy sense of humor, but now that people are saying she was a heavy user even back then, I wonder if she wasn't just sky high in those clips.
I also remember reading a few "blind" items about a year ago about a famous singer who was smoking rocks in the middle of a concert, clearly unconcerned with who saw her doing it.

Rex
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
What purpose does that serve? That's ridiculous, especially since he is the father of Whitney's only child. Cissy needs to get it together for Bobbi Kristina's sake.

One of the early bios I read on Whitney painted Cissy as a bit of a control freak. She was bossy towards the other members of her girl group Sweet Inspiration and was bossy to her children as well. There has also been some stories about her beating up Whitney's bff Robyn Crawford when she saw them in a fight.

Maybe it's best that Bobby doesn't show :shuffle:

Rob
02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
In Grammys defense they really only had about 12 hours to organize the whole thing. Jennifer Hudson was an excellent choice to sing, I just wish they had chose a different song.

I like both versions by two women with very different voices.

Jennifer sang "I will always love you" to Whitney Houston at her BET Honors show in DC a couple of years ago. I read in the WPost that Whitney told Jennifer afterwards "you sang that song as well as I have ever sung it." So Jennifer already had the song in her repetoire with 1 day to prepare, and I guess people knew Whitney liked Jennifer's version. Kind of a passing of the torch. I think you can find it on the BET site if not on youtube - I wonder how different it was.

Did Dolly attend the Grammys?

cruisin
02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
That's his prerogative.

:confused: I didn't say it wasn't. I was simply saying what I heard. No opinion, one way or the other.

TMZ is saying that Bobby is being barred from the funeral??? By Cissy of all people!!!

It seems there are mixed reports: One that he's barred, one that he's delivering a eulogy.

AragornElessar
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I think the Bobbi rumoured giving the eulogy is Bobbi Kristina, not Bobby Brown.

At least I think so. W/father and daughter having the same name basically, unless the "Kristina" follows, it's an easy mixup to make.

cruisin
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the Bobbi rumoured giving the eulogy is Bobbi Kristina, not Bobby Brown.

At least I think so. W/father and daughter having the same name basically, unless the "Kristina" follows, it's an easy mixup to make.

Yes, good point. Though they usually refer to Bobbi Kristina as Bobbi Kristina (to differentiate), I think you're probably right.

Rex
02-15-2012, 08:06 PM
:confused: I didn't say it wasn't. I was simply saying what I heard. No opinion, one way or the other. This is a joke; one of Bobby's biggest hits was called My Prerogative.

It seems there are mixed reports: One that he's barred, one that he's delivering a eulogy.
The rumors are definitely flying.

skatesindreams
02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Just heard Mark Steines, of "Entertainment Tonight", on "The Talk".

He said that there are conflicting reports of conditions in the bathroom when Whitney was found - some question that she might have collapsed as she was getting into the bath; so they are being careful about "rushing to judgement" in their reports about what happened until the cause of death is known/released.

canbelto
02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I definitely thought this as well. She was such a BRAT on Being Bobby Brown. I couldn't stand her! But she obviously had no supervision or discipline growing up, and had parents who showed love by giving her money to burn.

She was kind of a brat, but I also remember Whitney sometimes being ... well, not the best mother to her. For instance, she made comments about Bobbi K inheriting the "Brown figure" when Bobbi K tried on clothes, kind of cruel considering Bobbi I believe was trying to lose weight at that point, but was still somewhat chubby. She also locked Bobbi out of the bedroom so she and Bobby could have sex.

I also thought that Bobby did a classic case of overcompensating by lavishing his son Bobby Jr. with attention and activities, probably out of guilt for being "not much of a father," and kind of ignored Bobbi K. I felt sorry for the girl overall. She was treated and some kind of red-headed stepchild. Her personality seemed to be awkward and sullen, like she hadn't been socialized well and didn't know how to interact with even her own family.

As for Beyonce, one rumor I've heard and it just says a lot about how controlling she is of her image, is that she's refused to let hulu put up that hilarious parody that Justin Timberlake did of the "Single Girls" video on SNL.:rolleyes:

cruisin
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
This is a joke; one of Bobby's biggest hits was called My Prerogative.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Jenny
02-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Sounds like Beyonce can be quite the bitch in business. In the interests of balance, I can share that a friend in the hotel business told me a few years back that everybody in the industry loved her and Jay-Z. Aside from always booking the most expensive suites, they always paid full price when many celebrities expect lots of freebies. They were always gracious to staff, and even made their own bed.

Rex
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

What would we do without our heckles :shuffle:?

topaz
02-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, it wasn't all Bobby's fault. I loved Whitney, but Clive Davis really pulled the wool over all of our collective eyes regarding her image. I didn't care for Bobby or his hoodlum image, but Whitney made her own choices. But she was still one of my favorites. Stephanie Mills will always be my favorite R&B lady, but Whitney is at least a step behind her.

And it's still very sad and heartbreaking that an immense talent like that had to go out - like that.

I loved Bobby Brown back in the day. "Don't Be Cruel" is an R&B Classic Album. The entire ALBUM is/was fabulous. An album that was produced by LA Reid and Babyface and mixed by the great Teddy Riley. Video for Don't Be Cruel (http://youtu.be/zfpeiQOinok)

Bobby was a fantastic entertainer, he's had several #1 songs and folks forget he had the title song for a motion picture, Ghostbuster II.

Here are two versions of the song, Live version of Bobby Brown's On Our Own (http://youtu.be/Z0C3zckQ4Kk). Look at his showmanship.

2nd version (http://youtu.be/ducEUo6aTtA), Look at the cameos in this video.

topaz
02-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Sounds like Beyonce can be quite the bitch in business. In the interests of balance, I can share that a friend in the hotel business told me a few years back that everybody in the industry loved her and Jay-Z. Aside from always booking the most expensive suites, they always paid full price when many celebrities expect lots of freebies. They were always gracious to staff, and even made their own bed.

I think being with Jay Z helped Beyonce be more herself. People forget she "fired" her dad a few years ago.

John 3 17
02-15-2012, 11:40 PM
So Bobby Brown didn't get Whitney into drugs and he shouldn't be blamed for that, but didn't he beat her? I wasn't a close follower of Whitney's by any means (I don't even own one CD) but I thought that there was a lot of domestic abuse before the divorce? Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!

-Bridget