PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

duane
02-15-2012, 04:26 AM
I dunno. From everything I've heard about Bobbi Kristina, inheriting a boatload of money might not be the best things for her.
I definitely thought this as well. She was such a BRAT on Being Bobby Brown. I couldn't stand her! But she obviously had no supervision or discipline growing up, and had parents who showed love by giving her money to burn.

PeterG
02-15-2012, 06:12 AM
As for Whitney writing, I don't know if she ever wrote on any of her hits. I don't think she did. I am assuming she at least cowrote at some point, most artists do, but I don't think she did it very often at all.

According to allmusic.com, Whitney co-write four of her songs. "Queen Of The Night" (from the Bodyguard soundtrack), Exhale (Shoop, Shoop), Waiting to Exhale soundtrack, "Something In Common" (from one of Bobby's albums) and "Like I Never Left" from her last album.

I'm reading that more and more songwriters are refusing to work with Beyonce. Its why B-4 flopped. Now songwriters are reportedly giving her-their worst work. Serves Beyonce right.

"4" did go platinum in the US and three singles hit the top 40 (with three other tracks making the Billboard Hot 100). I thought this album did not as well as the previous albums because Beyonce was pregnant and mostly unavailable to promote the project like she would have in the past.

Scintillation
02-15-2012, 06:30 AM
:shuffle: I like listening to some of Beyonce's songs....it's a problem I'm ashamed of
I remember when Dreamgirls came out and there were a bunch of reports about Beyonce and JHud HATING each other, and Beyonce being furious that Jennifer was getting all the attention and awards. I also remember her dad making some really tacky comments about his daughter not being nominated because Hollywood was racist. No sir, your daughter can't act to save her life.

MINAM
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Um, I had to double check to see if I'm in a wrong thread.

Can we go back to Whitney Houston? When is the funeral? And is Bobby Brown allowed to attend?

(The Beyonce talk is amusing me, though)

bek
02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Um, I had to double check to see if I'm in a wrong thread.

Can we go back to Whitney Houston? When is the funeral? And is Bobby Brown allowed to attend?

(The Beyonce talk is amusing me, though)

I know there are reports Bobby isn't invited but also reports he actually went to the funeral home with his daughter. One thing that is interesting is Jennifer Holiday stated that Whitney was using long before she got involved with Brown. So its very possible that no the family doesn't blame him. Apparently Bobby's father died in December. So young Bobbi not only lost her mother but her grandfather just recently too.

Rex
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
:shuffle: I like listening to some of Beyonce's songs....it's a problem I'm ashamed of
I remember when Dreamgirls came out and there were a bunch of reports about Beyonce and JHud HATING each other, and Beyonce being furious that Jennifer was getting all the attention and awards. I also remember her dad making some really tacky comments about his daughter not being nominated because Hollywood was racist. No sir, your daughter can't act to save her life.That was true. They wanted to make it all about Beyonce, and it was Jennifer who started getting all the accolades. That is why Matthew Knowles' claims of racism were so lame.

I know there are reports Bobby isn't invited but also reports he actually went to the funeral home with his daughter. One thing that is interesting is Jennifer Holiday stated that Whitney was using long before she got involved with Brown. So its very possible that no the family doesn't blame him. Apparently Bobby's father died in December. So young Bobbi not only lost her mother but her grandfather just recently too.
Yeah, it wasn't all Bobby's fault. I loved Whitney, but Clive Davis really pulled the wool over all of our collective eyes regarding her image. I didn't care for Bobby or his hoodlum image, but Whitney made her own choices. But she was still one of my favorites. Stephanie Mills will always be my favorite R&B lady, but Whitney is at least a step behind her.

And it's still very sad and heartbreaking that an immense talent like that had to go out - like that.

cruisin
02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I heard a report this morning that Bobbi Brown is giving the eulogy. Not sure if that is accurate. I also heard that Gov. Christie has ordered flags on government buildings be flown at half staff, that Houston was an NJ treasure.

duane
02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
A buddy of my best friend is in the entertainment industry. He told us way back in 1989/1990-ish that Whitney had a "huge coke problem" and that it was "well known in the industry". We both had the same reaction: "OH PUH-LEEASE!" Nothing he said could convince us.

It goes to show: Image is deceiving. Many want to blame Bobby Brown because he's the perfect scapegoat...hip hop's bad boy ruined the pop princess.

cruisin
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
^^ I heard that as well. From a source in the medical field. She was admitted to a hospital where a friend (at the time) worked, the info spread like wildfire. No HIPPA laws back then.

FiveRinger
02-15-2012, 04:00 PM
It bothers me that so many people give Bobby Brown so much grief. They enabled each other. I have known that Whitney was a drug user and had problems long before he came along, which might be why some of the other celebs she dated took a pass. Whitney certainly is not the first or last recording artist whose producer created a Pollyanna image for and it turned out to be a lie. Mariah comes to mind immediately although she didn't have the problems Whitney did. And she was smart enough to write and produce her music.

bek
02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
A buddy of my best friend is in the entertainment industry. He told us way back in 1989/1990-ish that Whitney had a "huge coke problem" and that it was "well known in the industry". We both had the same reaction: "OH PUH-LEEASE!" Nothing he said could convince us.

It goes to show: Image is deceiving. Many want to blame Bobby Brown because he's the perfect scapegoat...hip hop's bad boy ruined the pop princess.

He was the perfect scapegoat but really I wonder how much people were looking at the facts. Bobby was 23 when they got married and Whitney was about 5 years older. The idea of poor Whitney lead astray by much younger Bobby is really difficult to imagine if people were looking at reality and not just Whitney's perfect image...In the end birds of a feather flock together. In fact one close friend said that while they had a terrible relationship that she thinks one of the reasons Whitney/Bobby actually broke was he was trying to get clean.
I don't get the feeling that the family hates him, given that Aretha made a comment about how bad she feels for all of these people and added in Bobby to the list..

heckles
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I heard a report this morning that Bobbi Brown is giving the eulogy.

That's his prerogative.

Rex
02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
TMZ is saying that Bobby is being barred from the funeral??? By Cissy of all people!!!

WindSpirit
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Whitney's version can't be touched [...] I disagree. It can be and has been. One example: Quiana Parler - I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04xv6rOwIQ). I heard her sing it in person and she killed it. People were crying, jumped to their feet and generally went crazy at the end. I love that clip because you can see the audience's reaction. This is why I love going to concerts. :)

The version from the recent Glee episode sounded similar to Whitney's, at least judging from the excerpt I heard on the radio today.

FiveRinger
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
TMZ is saying that Bobby is being barred from the funeral??? By Cissy of all people!!!

What purpose does that serve? That's ridiculous, especially since he is the father of Whitney's only child. Cissy needs to get it together for Bobbi Kristina's sake.