PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Allskate
02-15-2012, 01:40 AM
I dunno. From everything I've heard about Bobbi Kristina, inheriting a boatload of money might not be the best things for her.

Not necessarily a boatload of money, but I hope there is enough (preferably in a trust) to cover basic costs for a couple of years, along with whatever therapy and medical costs she has. Enough to get her off to a good start, recover from this tragedy, and get on a good course as an adult. I wouldn't want her flat broke right now because I doubt she is equipped to cope with that and it could create real problems. But, I would hope that people who cared for Whitney are helping her.

4rkidz
02-15-2012, 01:42 AM
the key song on Glee tonight was 'I will always love you'.. it was done really well by one of the kids - amazingly well actually - not sure of her name :confused: Seems like weird timing for tonight's new episode, I don't think they planned this - not enough time .. :shuffle:

bek
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
You are right, the most money to be made from a song is first the songwriter and then the producer. The artist is pretty much dead last in every possible scenario. That is why so many artists try to at least co-write songs. Why do you think Beyonce changes 1 word of a song and then puts herself down as a co-writer? Most of the time this would not be allowed and the song writer would say "no, you may not list yourself as a co-writer." However, Beyonce is huge and she can say "fine, I wont record your song." She can essentially bully people into handing over their hard earned money. I don't think it happens as viciously as it sounds but the artist gets to hide behind their managers.

As for Whitney writing, I don't know if she ever wrote on any of her hits. I don't think she did. I am assuming she at least cowrote at some point, most artists do, but I don't think she did it very often at all. For a long long time, maybe forever, she was Clive Davis' puppet and she recorded what he told her to record.

Ne Yo was apprarently brought on to write with Whitney and he made comments about how Whitney couldn't write whatsover. That she wanted every song to be "this is my comeback etc" Funnily enough apparently Clive wasn't sold on I Will Always Love You; Whitney's greatest hit.

In this case Dolly apparently owns the song writing rights AND the publishing rights. Dolly wasn't some poor artist who could be strangled into giving up her song.

Whitney has a movie coming out; and so I have a hard time thinking Bobbi will get nothing. Also her dad right now is on a big time tour with New Edition; so
she can share in that with her siblings. Apparently they were all taking for awhile about how Bobbi could sing (I saw a clip and she was okay but..) so she has in there too.

Beyonce's biggest MEH was when she actually tried to claim she wrote Irreplaceable as some deep meaning for her. Love that Ne-Yo shot her down there.

genevieve
02-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Not necessarily a boatload of money, but I hope there is enough (preferably in a trust) to cover basic costs for a couple of years, along with whatever therapy and medical costs she has. Enough to get her off to a good start, recover from this tragedy, and get on a good course as an adult. I wouldn't want her flat broke right now because I doubt she is equipped to cope with that and it could create real problems. But, I would hope that people who cared for Whitney are helping her.
I can't imagine that Bobbi Kristina is going to be destitute. Her father is touring right now, she's got plenty of well known family who I'm sure will be looking out for her.

the key song on Glee tonight was 'I will always love you'.. it was done really well by one of the kids - amazingly well actually - not sure of her name :confused: Seems like weird timing for tonight's new episode, I don't think they planned this - not enough time .. :shuffle:
episodes are taped weeks in advance, so no, they didn't plan it. Tonight is Valentine's Day, so it's not that odd of a coincidence that IWALY would be the centerpiece.

DBZ
02-15-2012, 02:02 AM
I dunno. From everything I've heard about Bobbi Kristina, inheriting a boatload of money might not be the best things for her.

I agree. I know mine is an outsider's perspective, but I feel this kid never really had a chance at a stable childhood growing up with Whitney and Bobby at the height of their substance abuse.

Now with Whitney's death, it's yet another layer of trauma added onto a life that (I assume) already has enough psychological/emotional scars to recover from.

Bobbi Kristina is the last person who needs a ton of cash and easy access to anything right now. I just hope some stablizing influence can help guide her through this, because she's gonna need it.

BigB08822
02-15-2012, 02:11 AM
Beyonce's biggest MEH was when she actually tried to claim she wrote Irreplaceable as some deep meaning for her. Love that Ne-Yo shot her down there.

There was a song on Beyonce's album called Smack Into You that she changed 1 word and took writing credits. She changed it from Smack to Smash. I know it is a key word, being in the title and all, but in no way does it change the meaning or message of the song. Pathetic.

This is only talking about her stealing writing and producing credits. Almost all of her big performances and music videos (including Single Ladies) can be traced back to other people. I'm not just talking inspiration but down right copying complete choreography and video ideas. Beyonce is probably the most unoriginal artist out there at the moment.

Louis
02-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Sad but somehow not surprising. And certainly not Dolly's fault.

It doesn't surprise me that people think songwriters' work should be "free," the same way people have no qualms about plagiarizing, using photos without permission, and copyright violation in generation. Still unfortunate, though. Silly Dolly Parton for wanting to be compensated for her work!

And even if she does have life insurance, if the death is ruled a suicide no one can collect.

Common misconception, but not true. Most life insurers will pay the death benefit as long as the suicide is not within two years of policy issue.

Sasha'sSpins
02-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Dolly is a shrewd business woman. She has a policy of not giving away her songs. Apparently Elvis wanted to sing "I Will Always Love You" but they demanded part of the rights to the song; and she said Nope.

While Whitney's version is a bit overdone as a song that song really was the best song she ever sang. Telling to that it was someone else not Whitney or Clive that pushed for the song but Kevin Costner. I don't believe ever thought originally it would be a hit.

There was an article that made me mad about how Dolly is going to make all kinds of money from that song again not Houston's family. It made me mad because Whitney sang a lot of songs not written by Dolly that will make money and not that much money so the actual strength of the song is a reason that one is so valued. Second, its not like Whitney made no money of that song herself; she just did away with it. Dolly is a shrewd business woman but she's known for being very generous with her money and giving back as well. She created Dollywood which provides a ton of jobs in her home state.. She's someone who will do good things with that money.

Dolly wrote and composed the song. She has every right to compensation for it be it from Whitney's estate or any other performer who may record the song.

bek
02-15-2012, 02:33 AM
There was a song on Beyonce's album called Smack Into You that she changed 1 word and took writing credits. She changed it from Smack to Smash. I know it is a key word, being in the title and all, but in no way does it change the meaning or message of the song. Pathetic.

This is only talking about her stealing writing and producing credits. Almost all of her big performances and music videos (including Single Ladies) can be traced back to other people. I'm not just talking inspiration but down right copying complete choreography and video ideas. Beyonce is probably the most unoriginal artist out there at the moment.

And there are cases of her little stealing songs from behind people's backs. The lawsuits and settlements are ridiculous. I can see maybe asking for a cut of publishing rights for your version of the song (if legal)..But you shouldn't get more than the writer-at all..But if you didn't write the song you shouldn't get your name on it. That's someone else's hard work. Give Whitney credit for not pulling that crap. I'm reading that more and more songwriters are refusing to work with Beyonce. Its why B-4 flopped. Now songwriters are reportedly giving her-their worst work. Serves Beyonce right.

Garden Kitty
02-15-2012, 03:12 AM
Dolly's comments regarding Whitney and Hudson's tribute performance (http://news.yahoo.com/dolly-parton-reacts-jennifer-hudsons-always-love-performance-185749227.html)

hydro
02-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Dolly's comments regarding Whitney and Hudson's tribute performance (http://news.yahoo.com/dolly-parton-reacts-jennifer-hudsons-always-love-performance-185749227.html)

Dolly is such a classy lady. I love her.

Did you know Beyonce tried to take song-writing credit for Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" based on her live performance and changing the words? Completely ridiculous.

bek
02-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Dolly is such a classy lady. I love her.

Did you know Beyonce tried to take song-writing credit for Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" based on her live performance and changing the words? Completely ridiculous.

She did the same with "Kissing You" from Desiree. Desiree's company sued. Its really classless on Beyonce's part.

julieann
02-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Dolly wrote and composed the song. She has every right to compensation for it be it from Whitney's estate or any other performer who may record the song.

I'm just happy that people who didn't know that Dolly wrote it and took it to #1 first will know it now. Every contract is different in regards to what the writer/performer gets, what ever Dolly/Whitney's estate gets for the song I'm sure they thought it was fair at the time.

Whitney isn't the only person to record the song so I can't imagine Dolly's too upset about someone else singing it.

BigB08822
02-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Last Beyonce post, I promise!

There are also the rampant rumors that she heard Kelly Clarkson's Already Gone and demanded Ryan Tedder give the song to her. He couldn't since Kelly had already recorded it and was planning on using it so she insisted he write her the same song with different words. Halo was born. Most people think Kelly's was a copy because Beyonce got her album out first and the single released first, as well. This is all rumor but with Beyonce's history it is easy to believe.

julieann
02-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Last Beyonce post, I promise!

There are also the rampant rumors that she heard Kelly Clarkson's Already Gone and demanded Ryan Tedder give the song to her. He couldn't since Kelly had already recorded it and was planning on using it so she insisted he write her the same song with different words. Halo was born. Most people think Kelly's was a copy because Beyonce got her album out first and the single released first, as well. This is all rumor but with Beyonce's history it is easy to believe.

I've heard that one as well.