PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

nubka
02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Definitely not. She always tells the same story when she performs the song or talks about it - here is more on who Porter Wagoner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Wagoner) was.

I remember Porter Wagoner and his Nudie suits very well - boy, am I old!! :D

Garden Kitty
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
This is life. If anybody in her family or among her team are squawking about Dolly - already - I can only imagine how brutal the battle over her fortune is going to be, or already is.

According to this report, there may not be much to battle over (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/whitney-houston-lost-100-million-fortune-years-drug-abuse-high-living-article-1.1022198), but I'm sure the estate will make some more money given the media coverage of her death.

bek
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
I thought she wrote it for Porter Waggoner?

David Foster on the making of "I Will Always Love You." (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/david-foster-bodyguard-anthem-love-happen/story?id=15577131)

Whitney's estate will also collect money; Dolly gets money as the songwriter and Whitney's estate will get money because she's the performer.

What, they want ALL the money? It's still Miss Dolly's song, y'all.

It doesn't sound like its Whitney's estate just people talking but I found it annoying. They were saying how Whitney's estate won't make the money Michael's estate did. But the thing is Whitney's estate doesn't deserve to make as much money because Whitney wasn't as involved in her music as Michael was with his. Michael wrote a lot of his songs; so he's going to make more-as he should. The record company invested put money and work into Whitney. Dolly worked her heart out creating that song. I hope there's money for Bobbi Kristina-but that wasn't her work.

Song writing is craft and a big gift. I know Dolly considers herself more a song writer than a singer; and that was her greatest song. Of course she deserves to profit off it. Whitney had tons of hit songs and so Dolly is only getting a profit of the one she created. The fact that its by far Whitney's hit, means Dolly had something to do with the success of that particular song.

I always wondered if there was more between Dolly/Porter than a business relationship given the nature of that song.

Jenny
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
According to this report, there may not be much to battle over (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/whitney-houston-lost-100-million-fortune-years-drug-abuse-high-living-article-1.1022198), but I'm sure the estate will make some more money given the media coverage of her death.

Sad but somehow not surprising. And certainly not Dolly's fault.

duane
02-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Definitely. Michael Jackson reportedly was hundreds of millions of dollars in debt because of his high-living, high-spending lifestyle. His death caused his record sales to sky-rocket, and with him not around to spend the money, his estate likely has already recouped what was lost, and will do nothing but continue to have money flowing in.

I suspect the same with Whitney's estate. No, it will not garner near what MJ's will, but Whitney had tons of #1 records and albums, and the residuals from that alone should quickly build up Houston's estate. I suspect Bobbi is the sole beneficiary.

julieann
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes. Whitney's version can't be touched, and to have Hudson try to mimick it was a mistake IMO. If not sung by Dolly, a different song should have been chosen--one other than what is perhaps Whitney's signature song.

I have nothing against the song per se, I just prefer Dolly arrangement better. Whitney had other hits.

Run to you sung by Christina Aguilera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPLqJpftEE)

BigB08822
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Just a question. Am I the only one who thinks that Whitney's voice tended to go sharp from time to time? Specifically when belting from her chest voice. I feel her head voice is unmatched. It is just something I have noticed when going over the videos recently. That being said, her tone is still just insane. That's a true gift.

heckles
02-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I remember Porter Wagoner and his Nudie suits very well - boy, am I old!! :D

Not necessarily old. Porter's shows, complete with Dolly and those blinding Nudie suits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65o9GC_hOLE), are currently being rerun on the RFD-TV channel.

FiveRinger
02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Definitely. Michael Jackson reportedly was hundreds of millions of dollars in debt because of his high-living, high-spending lifestyle. His death caused his record sales to sky-rocket, and with him not around to spend the money, his estate likely has already recouped what was lost, and will do nothing but continue to have money flowing in.

I suspect the same with Whitney's estate. No, it will not garner near what MJ's will, but Whitney had tons of #1 records and albums, and the residuals from that alone should quickly build up Houston's estate. I suspect Bobbi is the sole beneficiary.

I thought the residuals, for the most part, go the songwriter. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. Also, did Whitney have any song writing credits? Just curious.

BigB08822
02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
You are right, the most money to be made from a song is first the songwriter and then the producer. The artist is pretty much dead last in every possible scenario. That is why so many artists try to at least co-write songs. Why do you think Beyonce changes 1 word of a song and then puts herself down as a co-writer? Most of the time this would not be allowed and the song writer would say "no, you may not list yourself as a co-writer." However, Beyonce is huge and she can say "fine, I wont record your song." She can essentially bully people into handing over their hard earned money. I don't think it happens as viciously as it sounds but the artist gets to hide behind their managers.

As for Whitney writing, I don't know if she ever wrote on any of her hits. I don't think she did. I am assuming she at least cowrote at some point, most artists do, but I don't think she did it very often at all. For a long long time, maybe forever, she was Clive Davis' puppet and she recorded what he told her to record.

FiveRinger
02-15-2012, 12:23 AM

You are right, the most money to be made from a song is first the songwriter and then the producer. The artist is pretty much dead last in every possible scenario. That is why so many artists try to at least co-write songs. Why do you think Beyonce changes 1 word of a song and then puts herself down as a co-writer? Most of the time this would not be allowed and the song writer would say "no, you may not list yourself as a co-writer." However, Beyonce is huge and she can say "fine, I wont record your song." She can essentially bully people into handing over their hard earned money. I don't think it happens as viciously as it sounds but the artist gets to hide behind their managers.

As for Whitney writing, I don't know if she ever wrote on any of her hits. I don't think she did. I am assuming she at least cowrote at some point, most artists do, but I don't think she did it very often at all. For a long long time, maybe forever, she was Clive Davis' puppet and she recorded what he told her to record.

So, basically, unless there's something going on here than we don't, her estate isn't going to much any money and Bobbi Kristina won't get much unless Whitney had a life insurance policy (paid and current)where she was the beneficiary. I hope so, but I wonder. And even if she does have life insurance, if the death is ruled a suicide no one can collect. I do know that Whitney as the executive producer of Sparkle, due out in August, so that is something. Clive Davis and his record label most certainly does. He'll be able to recover the money that he's spent supporting her financially over these past years.

duane
02-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I thought the residuals, for the most part, go the songwriter. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point.
For the most part, yes. But it all comes down to the signed contract. Many multi-million-dollar selling artists find themselves left out of the riches because they signed standard run-of-the-mill contracts which garnered them--the artists--pennies compared to the writers and producers. Lisa Lopes quickly and accurately explained how a group like TLC can sell 15 million records but find themselves filing for bankruptcy.

As a unknown artist breaking into the industry, Whitney Houston was probably lucky in that she had people close to her who were in the recording industry (her mom, cousin Dionne, godmother Aretha) and more knowledgable about contracts, residuals, percentages, etc. And, once she became a reliably bankable artist, she likely upped the ante when she renegotiated her contract. She became so huge that I suspect music labels were willing to pay whatever she requested!

FiveRinger
02-15-2012, 12:37 AM
For the most part, yes. But it all comes down to the signed contract. Many multi-million-dollar selling artists find themselves left out of the riches because they signed standard run-of-the-mill contracts which garnered them--the artists--pennies compared to the writers and producers. Lisa Lopes quickly and accurately explained how a group like TLC can sell 15 million records but find themselves filing for bankruptcy.

As a unknown artist breaking into the industry, Whitney Houston was probably lucky in that she had people close to her who were in the recording industry (her mom, cousin Dionne, godmother Aretha) and more knowledgable about contracts, residuals, percentages, etc. And, once she became a reliably bankable artist, she likely upped the ante when she renegotiated her contract. She became so huge that I suspect music labels were willing to pay whatever she requested!

Hopefully, you're right. This is one time I hope that I'm wrong. It would be absolutely horrific is her daughter ended up without her mother and no money.

Allskate
02-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Sad but somehow not surprising. And certainly not Dolly's fault.

ITA. It's very sad that someone could squander a $100 million fortune. And I also agree that it certainly isn't Dolly's fault. It sounds like Clive was helping out Whitney recently, so even if Whitney's daughter doesn't inherit anything and even if Bobby Brown blew all his money, too, maybe Clive will make sure Bobbi Kristina gets off to a good start to her adulthood.

Prancer
02-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Hopefully, you're right. This is one time I hope that I'm wrong. It would be absolutely horrific is her daughter ended up without her mother and no money.

I dunno. From everything I've heard about Bobbi Kristina, inheriting a boatload of money might not be the best things for her.