PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

FunnyBut
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I think Dolly's soft, lyrical delivery of the song would've been so beautiful in its understated simplicity.

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8tffNHJno&feature=youtu.be&t=1m03s)

I love Dolly's version too, it's gentle, wistful and would have been very appropriate on a somber occasion like this one.

However, there was some tussle between Dolly and Whitney as to how the song would be used and governance over its performance. Yes, Dolly was paid very handsomely for her work. But although it was a very successful business transaction, it was may not have built a great friendship . So she might not have been the best person to sing the tribute.

Jenny
02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Much as I love Dolly's own version, I actually think it was better with Jennifer doing it. Whitney's version made it a love song, and Jennifer's made it about someone who has passed away.

Dolly's version was actually about parting ways with her manager at the time. Dolly performing it would have brought it back to its original meaning, not to mention reminding everyone who's song it is and possibly taking away from the moment.

Jennifer, a new generation singer paying homage to Whitney made more sense IMO.

FunnyBut
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I think Dolly's soft, lyrical delivery of the song would've been so beautiful in its understated simplicity.

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8tffNHJno&feature=youtu.be&t=1m03s)

I love Dolly's version too, it's gentle, wistful and would have been very appropriate on a somber occasion like this one.

However, there was some tussle between Dolly and Whitney as to how the song would be used and governance over its performance. Yes, Dolly was paid very handsomely for her work. But although it was a very successful business transaction, it was may not have built a great friendship . So she might not have been the best person to sing the tribute.

Jennifer grew up idolizing Whitney, and Whitney paved the way for other vocal powerhouses like Jennifer. So I think choosing her was a great choice on the part of the Grammys.

hydro
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

I don't remember any tussle, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember Dolly being happy with Whitney's version, and she even mentioned it on a Leno or Letterman. Dolly maintains the rights to her songs, so I can't imagine she would let it go without being okay with it.

bek
02-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't remember any tussle, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember Dolly being happy with Whitney's version, and she even mentioned it on a Leno or Letterman. Dolly maintains the rights to her songs, so I can't imagine she would let it go without being okay with it.

Dolly is a shrewd business woman. She has a policy of not giving away her songs. Apparently Elvis wanted to sing "I Will Always Love You" but they demanded part of the rights to the song; and she said Nope.

While Whitney's version is a bit overdone as a song that song really was the best song she ever sang. Telling to that it was someone else not Whitney or Clive that pushed for the song but Kevin Costner. I don't believe ever thought originally it would be a hit.

There was an article that made me mad about how Dolly is going to make all kinds of money from that song again not Houston's family. It made me mad because Whitney sang a lot of songs not written by Dolly that will make money and not that much money so the actual strength of the song is a reason that one is so valued. Second, its not like Whitney made no money of that song herself; she just did away with it. Dolly is a shrewd business woman but she's known for being very generous with her money and giving back as well. She created Dollywood which provides a ton of jobs in her home state.. She's someone who will do good things with that money.

Jenny
02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
There was an article that made me mad about how Dolly is going to make all kinds of money from that song again not Houston's family.

Whitney made a fortune in her own right by performing that song, no? Album sales, concert tickets, etc? I would even suggest that the song - being a highlight of the movie and strong contributor to its popularity - opened up additional opportunities for her. Didn't make her career of course - that's mostly about her actual talent - but it's not like Dolly sat back and counted the money while Whitney did all the work and got nothing for it.

And the fact is that everybody makes money when something happens. I heard that iTunes was making a killing on the weekend, and the Grammys recorded their second highest viewership ever, topped only by the 1984 awards, which was the year Thriller swept it, not to mention that in those days, with no internet and limited cable etc, everyone watched awards shows. There's no doubt that more viewers tuned into the Grammys to see how they'd handle it - I know I did.

This is life. If anybody in her family or among her team are squawking about Dolly - already - I can only imagine how brutal the battle over her fortune is going to be, or already is.

julieann
02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
She was good, but I thought it would've been much more poignant and poetic if they had Dolly Parton--the original songwriter--sing the song at the tribute.

Jennifer belting the song a la Whitney just didn't feel right to me.

In Grammys defense they really only had about 12 hours to organize the whole thing. Jennifer Hudson was an excellent choice to sing, I just wish they had chose a different song.

I like both versions by two women with very different voices.

mrinalini
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted (and it's probably been seen countless times), but here's Whitney singing a live version of I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDhxKVuVYaY). The recent barrage of media coverage on her death can be a little wearying, but then I watch that and I'm like, okay, now I get it. She really had a voice like no other - the control she had over it in her prime and its fluidity...there are just no words.

And then there's this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbcaYXWAqG0&feature=related) in contrast...just so sad...

Prancer
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Dolly's version was actually about parting ways with her manager at the time.

I thought she wrote it for Porter Waggoner?

While Whitney's version is a bit overdone as a song that song really was the best song she ever sang. Telling to that it was someone else not Whitney or Clive that pushed for the song but Kevin Costner. I don't believe ever thought originally it would be a hit.

David Foster on the making of "I Will Always Love You." (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/david-foster-bodyguard-anthem-love-happen/story?id=15577131)

There was an article that made me mad about how Dolly is going to make all kinds of money from that song again not Houston's family.

Whitney's estate will also collect money; Dolly gets money as the songwriter and Whitney's estate will get money because she's the performer.

What, they want ALL the money? It's still Miss Dolly's song, y'all.

heckles
02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Dolly is a shrewd business woman but she's known for being very generous with her money and giving back as well. She created Dollywood which provides a ton of jobs in her home state.. She's someone who will do good things with that money.

Correct. She bought Porter Wagoner's songs when he was having financial problems, then gave them right back to him.

Jenny

Yes - I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but as I understand it, she was sort of under his wing, and he helped establish her in the business. She worked with him on his tv show etc, and he was guiding her career. I thought the song was about basically going out on her own, rather than being part of his business/organization.

hydro

Is that Dolly's mother? Cause I thought she wrote it for her mother.

Whitney's estate will also collect money; Dolly gets money as the songwriter and Whitney's estate will get money because she's the performer.

What, they want ALL the money? It's still Miss Dolly's song, y'all.

Yeah, I'm sure I get the fuss. Dolly created/composed the song.

Jenny
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Is that Dolly's mother? Cause I thought she wrote it for her mother.

Definitely not. She always tells the same story when she performs the song or talks about it - here is more on who Porter Wagoner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Wagoner) was.

hydro
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Definitely not. She always tells the same story when she performs the song or talks about it - here is more on who Porter Wagoner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Wagoner) was.

Thanks, that makes more sense that the song is about her manager :shuffle:

duane
02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Jennifer Hudson was an excellent choice to sing, I just wish they had chose a different song.

Yes. Whitney's version can't be touched, and to have Hudson try to mimick it was a mistake IMO. If not sung by Dolly, a different song should have been chosen--one other than what is perhaps Whitney's signature song.