PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

nubka
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Read just now that it is reported that she had both beer & champagne with her lunch. :(

Rex
02-14-2012, 01:41 AM
A column from the Toronto Star's theatre critic about a shared cruise with Whitney and family. It is quite sad.

Whitney Houston saw rough waters on shared cruise (http://www.toronto.com/article/713406--ouzounian-remembering-houston)

Oh, wow...thanks for posting this. She was so troubled.

DBZ
02-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Yes, Jennifer Hudson did a SUPERB job. Amazing.

She was good, but I thought it would've been much more poignant and poetic if they had Dolly Parton--the original songwriter--sing the song at the tribute.

Jennifer belting the song a la Whitney just didn't feel right to me.

I think Dolly's soft, lyrical delivery of the song would've been so beautiful in its understated simplicity.

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8tffNHJno&feature=youtu.be&t=1m03s)

duane
02-14-2012, 02:10 AM

I think Dolly's soft, lyrical delivery of the song would've been so beautiful in its understated simplicity.

I totally agree.

PeterG
02-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Dolly who?

falling_dance
02-14-2012, 02:40 AM
nm

Lacey
02-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Keep in mind, that one Xanax and a glass or two of wine will not kill you.

Are you a doctor?

I take it back, a doctor would never say such a thing.

But you are not qualified to make such an inane statement.

VALuvsMKwan
02-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I tend to agree with your assessment above.

The only other thing I can think is that her body was so ravaged from years of drug and alcohol abuse that it just gave out at the wrong time. A friend of mine who was 10 years sober after years of abusing alcohol was at that time taking benzos and opiates due to severe spinal problems died out of nowhere (that is, without having taken anything stronger than her prescribed dose the night before). The autopsy determines that her heart just stopped. She was only 51.

Cyn, this is what I was trying to say. This whole subject is hitting closer and closer to home for me (I promise you I am not trying to hijack the thread, but trying to make some sense of what the news reports are saying).

I have also been told, by medical professionals, that yet another danger of using alcohol and benzos, specifically Xanax, is the possibility of seizures.

http://www.xanaxaddictionhelp.com/dangers-of-mixing-xanax-with-alcohol-and-other-drugs

heckles
02-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Dolly who?

Last estimate I heard was that Dolly had made $25 million from that song alone, with somewhere between six and 10 of those millions from Whitney's version.

BigB08822
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Long-term abuse, Brian - which time is going to be one time too many? When dropping a cigarette while in bed instead of just getting into the tub (or even just getting into bed and never waking up)? Substance abusers' bodies can take only so much.

I pray that you never have to find out what it's like to be in a position of co-mingling drugs and alcohol repeatedly over years.

Errr, thanks?

Feel free to disagree with my assessment but no need to pray for my future with regards to drugs and alcohol. That is downright offensive.

Anyway, I have read that there was not much water in her lungs so perhaps she did suffer a heart attack or something and went under after?

VALuvsMKwan
02-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Not meant to offend.

Civic
02-14-2012, 07:07 AM
I tend to agree with your assessment above.

The only other thing I can think is that her body was so ravaged from years of drug and alcohol abuse that it just gave out at the wrong time. A friend of mine who was 10 years sober after years of abusing alcohol was at that time taking benzos and opiates due to severe spinal problems died out of nowhere (that is, without having taken anything stronger than her prescribed dose the night before). The autopsy determines that her heart just stopped. She was only 51.
Didn't something similar happen to Andy Gibb? IIRC, he had cleaned up his act after being addicted to cocaine before he died but the drug abuse weakened his heart.

John 3 17
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
She was good, but I thought it would've been much more poignant and poetic if they had Dolly Parton--the original songwriter--sing the song at the tribute.

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr8tffNHJno&feature=youtu.be&t=1m03s)

I totally prefer Dolly's version. ALWAYS have. I knew her version before Whitney ever sang it. But, people the world over only remember Whitney's version so I guess having JHud sing it like that was more of a tribute. But, I would've loved it the way you suggest.

-Bridget

John 3 17
02-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Didn't something similar happen to Andy Gibb? IIRC, he had cleaned up his act after being addicted to cocaine before he died but the drug abuse weakened his heart.

And isn't that what happened to Cory Haim? :(

cruisin
02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Are you a doctor?

I take it back, a doctor would never say such a thing.

But you are not qualified to make such an inane statement.

And how do you know that? :roll eyes: Maybe I am qualified to make that statement. Especially since I also said - I don't recommend it.