PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston has died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Allskate
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
According to TMZ, Bobby's family has been with Bobbi Kristina since the news broke. Bobby was on the East Coast and learned the news shortly before the concert. He was reportedly very distraught, broke down crying off-stage, come on-stage after the concert started, and was crying on-stage. He is missing tonight's concert to be with his daughter.

I am definitely not a Bobby Brown fan, but I am not going to judge how he immediately reacted to news of his ex-wife's death. I would imagine that most people in that situation would not be thinking all that clearly, and we have very little idea what the real situation is, much less whether he could have immediately gotten on a plane and all the way back to L.A. yesterday evening.

Similarly, I won't judge how Clive Davis and others responded last night, going on with the pre-Grammy party and performances. I don't know them and didn't know Whitney.

topaz
02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
According to TMZ, Bobby's family has been with Bobbi Kristina since the news broke. Bobby was on the East Coast and learned the news shortly before the concert. He was reportedly very distraught, broke down crying off-stage, come on-stage after the concert started, and was crying on-stage. He is missing tonight's concert to be with his daughter.

I am definitely not a Bobby Brown fan, but I am not going to judge how he immediately reacted to news of his ex-wife's death. I would imagine that most people in that situation would not be thinking all that clearly, and we have very little idea what the real situation is, much less whether he could have immediately gotten on a plane and all the way back to L.A. yesterday evening.

Similarly, I won't judge how Clive Davis and others responded last night, going on with the pre-Grammy party and performances. I don't know them and didn't know Whitney.

Bobby Brown was in Mississippi I thought. He's on tour with New Edition.

From what I've read, Bobby and Whitney have had a amicable relationship for last few years. He and his current fiance visited her often in the studio when she recorded her CD over year or so ago. That he was still supportive of her and that they were doing this to help Bobbi Christina.

canbelto
02-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm reminded of my initial impression of Bobby and Whitney on Being Bobby Brown. Bobby was what you could call a functional addict, meaning most of the time he could pull it together and seem like a normal person. You had a feeling he'd be fine, when all was said and done.

Whitney, on the other hand? A totally far-gone trainwreck. Not able to pull it together even for the cameras, and prone to whacky ramblings whether at a family bbq or a hotel resort. Her face, voice, body, even hair were ravaged by drugs. She was a sad sight.

I wondered at the time if Bobby wasn't the more resilient of the pair precisely because he was less talented and less attractive. It was as if he knew his fame was short-lived and likely to take a nose dive if he was ever not Mr. Whitney Houston, so he had to get his act together somehow.

Very tragic all around. Whitney was someone I listened to as a little kid, even my mom who doesn't know squat about pop music loved her voice. Phenomenal talent, and phenomenally self-destructive.

bek
02-13-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm reminded of my initial impression of Bobby and Whitney on Being Bobby Brown. Bobby was what you could call a functional addict, meaning most of the time he could pull it together and seem like a normal person. You had a feeling he'd be fine, when all was said and done.

Whitney, on the other hand? A totally far-gone trainwreck. Not able to pull it together even for the cameras, and prone to whacky ramblings whether at a family bbq or a hotel resort. Her face, voice, body, even hair were ravaged by drugs. She was a sad sight.

I wondered at the time if Bobby wasn't the more resilient of the pair precisely because he was less talented and less attractive. It was as if he knew his fame was short-lived and likely to take a nose dive if he was ever not Mr. Whitney Houston, so he had to get his act together somehow.

Very tragic all around. Whitney was someone I listened to as a little kid, even my mom who doesn't know squat about pop music loved her voice. Phenomenal talent, and phenomenally self-destructive.

According to the interview with Clive that I posted. He mentioned that when he finally got to talking to Whitney about her problem (when Bobby was in jail) he felt like both Bobby and Whitney should do rehab-seperately but both should do it to make it work in that household. He got some feelers out to Bobby-who was in agreement and willing to go to rehab. It was Whitney who wasn't/didn't feel ready.

Maybe the thing is that it in someways all came to easily for Whitney. Not that she didn't work hard but that voice was a sheer gift from the heavens; maybe she always took it for granted.

liv
02-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Poor kid.

First you are a teenager who is an only child, a child of famous parents who are just completely dysfunctional, and then to be there when your young mom dies, but you aren't allowed to see her...with press all around? A break down is absolutely normal for those circumstances. I"m sure many of us would experience the same thing without those extra pressures on us.

I hope the press leaves her alone and that her dad is able to pull himself together and be there for his child.

algonquin
02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Maybe the thing is that it in someways all came to easily for Whitney. Not that she didn't work hard but that voice was a sheer gift from the heavens; maybe she always took it for granted.I think that you are very correct. Hasn't the same been said here about some skaters with natural ability? They don't learn to work hard.

I wasn't a huge fan of Whitney, but I respected and admired her talent. I agree with canbelto, that Whitney was a
Phenomenal talent, and phenomenally self-destructive.

Rob
02-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah, so she, MJ and AW would all still be alive today if only drugs were legal. Well Tony, MJ died of a Propofol overdose...a legal drug given by a ?MD. Amy, apparently died of alcohol poisoning...a legal substance. You're "whack" TB.

The media is speculating that xanax (prescribed by a physician) plus alcohol may have been the fatal combo for Whitney. Time will tell.

Civic
02-13-2012, 12:34 AM
...ETA: The press needs to leave her the f*ck alone! She's a kid, for chrissake!

Here! Here! Bobbie Kristina should be able to mourn her mother and come to grips with her loss in private. My prayers and best wishes are with her at this difficult time.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that female celebrities who struggle with addiction seem less likely to overcome them than their male counterparts?

Latte
02-13-2012, 12:41 AM
RIP Whitney. So sad.:(

By the way, CNN is saying that Bobby went on stage last night as a tribute to Whitney, said he loved her, asked people to pray for Bobbie Kristina, and then broke down and left the stage.
Hardly a uncaring ex husband and father.
We should all find out the facts before we judge.
Also, Whitney just finished a movie named SPARKLE which is due out in August so she must have gotten it together somewhat. And she had just finished performing live and did it well minutes before those pictures were taken, so, she was not drunk or drugged up. Maybe she was starting to experience the problems that killed her and was not feeling well.
Just saying, wait for the facts before you judge.:(

bek
02-13-2012, 12:44 AM
I think that you are very correct. Hasn't the same been said here about some skaters with natural ability? They don't learn to work hard.

I wasn't a huge fan of Whitney, but I respected and admired her talent. I agree with canbelto, that Whitney was a .

But I think its even greater for Whitney. It takes work to do triple jumps etc. She did have training with her mom and so did hone her skills. But I guess maybe its because I have always had a decent singing my voice myself (no where near Whitney's by any stretch of the imagination) that I kind of feel like some of it is truly God given. I someone asked how I was able to sing; I really wouldn't be able to explain it. I hear the note/tune in my head and sing it back. Its always been that way. Though it takes work to truly hone it.

Her interview with Oprah is kind of enlightening there. I wonder what it did to her when what was always there was gone. Still glad we all got to hear that beautiful voice.

I imagine though Whitney's life was not as picture perfect as a child as the image suggested. I read there were all kinds of drug issues in her family too. She was around the music biz her whole life. Her mom may not have done it. But her Aunt, some of the people her mom was singing with etc.... Show biz really eats people alive. She grew up seeing a lot of successful people with drug habits and probably felt like she could control it too. And did for a long time.

liv
02-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Here's a plausible scenario:
She takes her prescription, which makes her very tired, maybe she had alcohol in her system exacerbating the issue, then she takes a bath which makes her even more sleepy, resulting in the drowning situation some are speculating about.

It could have been just a simple thing like that...often it is. I knew someone who died from that exact scenario, minus the alcohol mixed in. :( Just too sad.

canbelto
02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
I agree with bek that it was different for Whitney because her talent really was like God-given. All the music lessons in the world will not give you those pipes. She grew up in the music business too, with plenty of connections. It all must have come very easily to her, in the beginning -- family is in the music business, phenomenal voice, great looks. When you're that young and that successful, it's not uncommon to test your limits, or act out.

I've noticed that many of the most self-destructive musicians are the "God-given" talents. Whereas the ones who seem to have a good head on their shoulders are the ones who are thought not to have that great of a natural voice or talent. Madonna, Lady Gaga, Bono, Bruce Springsteen, even Paul McCartney.

cruisin
02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Which doesn't change the fact that criminalisation only makes things worse for a number of reasons (access to information, access to treatment, contamination of drugs being more harmful than drugs themselves, etc.).

How would decriminalizing crack make it any safer?

The media is speculating that xanax (prescribed by a physician) plus alcohol may have been the fatal combo for Whitney. Time will tell.

From what Ive read she was drinking heavily. Alcohol and benzodiazepines are dangerous, indeed. Especially the faster acting ones like Zanax and Vallium. I also think that she was so weakened by past abuses, that she was a walking time bomb.

Moka-Ananas
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
RIP Whitney :(

ballettmaus
02-13-2012, 01:32 AM
RIP Whitney. So sad.:(

By the way, CNN is saying that Bobby went on stage last night as a tribute to Whitney, said he loved her, asked people to pray for Bobbie Kristina, and then broke down and left the stage.
Hardly a uncaring ex husband and father.
We should all find out the facts before we judge.

And we know for a fact this wasn't just an act because...?
Not saying it was an act, just pointing out that, since you were talking about facts, it could have been one and that we don't know for a fact if any of this was real. He physically abused her after all and what's more, it's show biz and there are a lot of people who stop at nothing. (Not implying Bobby but thinking more about his managers/agents etc).