PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Canadian Ladies Program

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

danafan
08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Chartand's short program from Lake Placid JGP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuiPhYmSqU

She fell on her combo but showed great attack otherwise. Good international debut IMO.

algonquin
08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Chartand's short program from Lake Placid JGP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuiPhYmSqU

She fell on her combo but showed great attack otherwise. Good international debut IMO.Indeed, thanks for posting.

Erin
08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
She fell on her combo but showed great attack otherwise. Good international debut IMO.

I agree - glad to see her fight to get in the double toe after struggling with the lutz. Great to see both Canadian ladies out on the JGP so far attempting both the triple lutz and triple flip in the short program...and doing reasonably well with them, too (i.e. not hail mary attempts). It will be interesting to see if Daleman goes for the flip in the short next week, too.

It appears that Skate Canada is focusing on the new generation based on the way the senior assignments have gone, and with Osmond, Chartrand, Seguin, and Daleman, there's actually a decent starting point with the younger ladies. There were some other bright spots last season, particularly Jayda Jurome in novice at the Challenge, so hopefully that pool can expand.

danafan
08-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Daleman was very successful with her triple flip in both programs at Thornhill.

triple_toe
08-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Chartrand's JGP debut was much more impressive than Seguin's IMO. Good job. Chartrand needs to work on the flip though, it's really on the outside edge.

hohoho
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I actually found Chartrand better than Seguin. Not by much. Mostly in the spins. But good to see SC going with the younger skates and that these skaters are showing the "never give up and go for everything attitude". Overall good debuts by Seguin and Chartrand.

Has Jurome recovered totally from her injury. She didn't seem to skate that well t BC Summerskate?

shutterbug
09-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Has Jurome recovered totally from her injury. She didn't seem to skate that well t BC Summerskate?

In the SP she attempted a 3lutz-2toe combo and a 3flip and fell on both. Landed a nice 3lutz-2toe in the FP, but not much else. Looked to me like both programs were still quite new.

danafan
09-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Chartrand attempted 7 triples in her free program at Lake Placid JGP today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWrDM0xfqI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

flowerpower
09-02-2012, 12:10 AM
^
Good for her! Love to see the Canadian junior ladies going for it!

Erin
09-02-2012, 12:28 AM
:cheer2: Great skate for Chartrand! And she actually met the TES minimum for Worlds with that program - if she can clean up the SP at the next event, perhaps we will have someone other than Osmond who has met the criteria.

Chartrand and Seguin have both met the minimum TES scores for Jr. Worlds in both programs and Chartrand also met the 4CC minimums.

hohoho
09-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Question is, will Chartrand get a second JGP to try and get the TES minimum? Even if she does get it, would you send her to Worlds over Osmond? Chartrand may get the TES score, but she is struggling with the PCS score.

Erin
09-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Question is, will Chartrand get a second JGP to try and get the TES minimum? Even if she does get it, would you send her to Worlds over Osmond? Chartrand may get the TES score, but she is struggling with the PCS score.

Chartrand has been assigned to Croatia, at least provisionally. I think that she'll probably keep the assignment. Most of the skaters on the sub list for Croatia are not doing both the triple lutz and triple flip, aside from Seguin (already has a second assignment to Slovenia) and Daleman (probably will get a second assignment to Germany if she does reasonably well in Austria). And if Skate Canada decides to pull the second assignment for someone to give one of the subs a chance, I think that Chartrand deserves a second assignment over Seguin - both had 7th place finishes, but Chartrand was in a tougher field and had a higher score.

I'm not saying that Chartrand should be sent to Worlds over Osmond, it's way too early to be making those kind of predictions. But it would be nice to have more than one option - what if Osmond were injured, became inconsistent, etc, etc. The more skaters that meet the minimum, the better IMO.

hohoho
09-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Well SC in their wisdom have assigned Shelepen (Russia) to the TBA for SCI. What a slap in the face to Canadian Ladies Skaters. That is 4 spots not used for Canadian Senior skaters - SCI, Finlandia, Ondrej Nepela, and SLC. What a joke SC is becoming.

chantilly
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I think to fix it, they need to send them to train with coaches in US or Japan. There are at least five girls in each country who could beat any of our top two. But honestly we have never been great in the ladies since the early eighties. Even those with great potential were a disappointment. Joannie was the only bright light and she was very inconsistent. Her win at the Olympics was a bit controversial even. Although she did have more difficult transitions, choreography etc. and I believe her next rival was downgraded. I do deserve she should have won the bronze after all. But I can understand the confusion as to why she did. But I would need to watch it again side by side to really judge accurately.

hohoho
09-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Why send them to US and Japan when some of those skaters train or used to train in Canada.