PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Canadian Ladies Program

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

algonquin
04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Well, this must get better next year or there will only be one spot for 2012.

professordeb
04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I think we are just going to have to resign ourselves to having one woman for 2012-2013. I can't see anyone stepping up to the plate and delivering when it's needed.

That said, I feel bad for Amelie and I still think she had an awful skate -- at least compared to how I've seen her skate at other comps.

jlai
04-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't follow Canadian ladies much...just out of curiosity, why don't more top Canadian girls have the harder jumps? Is it training them late, not competing enough with those jumps or something else?

Sylvia
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm bumping this thread up because I don't think it's worth starting a new/separate thread in Kiss and Cry for this very early season competition.

The 2012 Ursula Lehming Scarboro Skate competition in Scarborough, ON was held this past weekend (April 27-29) -- top 2 in the Senior Ladies free skate:
1 Alaine Chartrand Nepean SC 90.05
2 Gabrielle Daleman Hilltop SC 77.92
FS protocols: http://sfsc.on.ca/ScarboroSkate/2012PDF/swfde.pdf

clarie
05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I honestly think it's a hopeless situation, being such a small country population-wise with no-one to carry the banner so to speak. We can't expect Joannie to rescue Canadian ladies....she's paid her dues.

Jammers
05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Small country population-wise doesn't seem to ever hurt the Canadian men. And it doesn't seem like it's a lack of girls getting into skating that is the problem either.

Sylvia
05-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Skate Canada press release titled "Up-and-comers set to attend Skate Canada National Development Camp" in Toronto, May 4-6, 2012: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1707/language/en-US/Default.aspx

15 of the 24 invited are women:
Larkyn Austman, 14, Coquitlam, B.C. [N2]
Alaine Chartrand, 16, Prescott, Ont. [S9]
Roxanne Cournoyer, 14, Sorel-Tracy, Que. [J4]
Gabrielle Daleman, 14, Newmarket, Ont. [J1]
Madelyn Dunley, 15, Milton, Ont. [N1]
Alexandra Gagnon, 18, Chicoutimi, Que. [S10]
Zoe Gong, 14, Ottawa, Ont. [N7]
Britanny Guiseppe Clarke, 13, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. [N11]
Shelby Hall, 14, Frobisher, Sask. [N12]
Jayda Jurome, 14, Kelowna, B.C. [N-wd; won Challenge]
Sandrine Martin, 14, Montreal, Que. [N5]
Lisa Nasu-Yu, 15, Ottawa, Ont. [N9]
Kaetlyn Osmond, 16, Marystown, Nfld. [S3]
Haley Sales, 15, Kelowna, B.C. [N3]
Julianne Séguin, 15, Longueuil, Que. [J3]

Rock2
05-02-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm bumping this thread up because I don't think it's worth starting a new/separate thread in Kiss and Cry for this very early season competition.

The 2012 Ursula Lehming Scarboro Skate competition in Scarborough, ON was held this past weekend (April 27-29) -- top 2 in the Senior Ladies free skate:
1 Alaine Chartrand Nepean SC 90.05
2 Gabrielle Daleman Hilltop SC 77.92
FS protocols: http://sfsc.on.ca/ScarboroSkate/2012PDF/swfde.pdf

Nice jump list from Chartrand and wow, Daleman is rotating a 3F and 3L, two jumps she didn't have this year. I dunno...watching Daleman, I really think she's going to go somewhere. She has skating skills, musicality and athleticism. I can't say she'll be the greatest, but I really believe she'll be a legitimate factor on the Canadian senior scene when all is said and done.

Osmond will be the really interesting story to watch. If you only consider what's best for her, I'd give her two JGPs and another JW's to get some points and ready her for seniors. The problem is she's arguably ready now, and more importantly Lacoste and Phaneuf can no longer be Plan B's for each other. I think if we see Osmond in seniors this year that will be a signal that SC is readying itself to chack Amelie and Cynthia as soon as they can if they both maintain their current dreadful standard.

spikydurian
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Here's the direct link to the 10-minute segment titled "The Big Picture: Legacy of Ladies Skating: Examining the next generation of Canadian female figure skaters" (not geoblocked): http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2205235358
Doug Leigh, Jennifer Robinson, and Josée Chouinard are among those interviewed and Tracy Wilson and Pj Kwong contribute commentary afterwards.
Thanks Sylvia. Interesting vid and question. Canada has a great tradition for skating and I think the question is how to motivate these young talented kids to figure skating to elite levels? Certainly, I think figure skating IS an expensive and lonely sport unlike team sports like hockey and soccer. You can find a highly prodigious kid but without the 'resources' (ie. the cutting and polishing) there is no way this kid will become a sparkling diamond.

danafan
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Well Osmond got Skate Canada along with Lacoste, third spot TBA. No non host picks for the Canadian ladies on the grand prix - this must be a first.
Osmond moving up is a good choice IMO. I hope they have a skate off for the third spot.

Erin
05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Osmond moving up is a good choice IMO. I hope they have a skate off for the third spot.

I still have mixed feelings - with only one GP spot at a tough event, Osmond is not going to get very much in terms of ISU points on the GP. Skate Canada better send her to some Senior B events so she can rack up some points. Otherwise she is going to be buried in the World rankings for a while. That said, I think that she's the best skater we've got, so it's good to get her some senior experience. Plus it opens up more spots on the JGP for skaters like Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin, etc.

I was rewatching Jr. Worlds the other day and as I watched Osmond, I really wished there was some way SC could have put her on the World team. Her score from Jr. Worlds, unadjusted, would have put her 13th at Worlds. If you take into account that senior programs have the choreographed spiral sequence as an additional element and add that to her score, it puts her around 11th. If she did a triple flip (her best jump) in the short instead of a double lutz, that puts her score in 8th, ahead of Marchei. I realize that you can't compare across competitions and her PCS score might have dropped, as it's sometimes judged more generously in juniors than seniors, but her overall score without accounting for the extra element or the flip in the short was still 8 points higher than Lacoste. Plus we would have been getting a talented young skater some experience.

I think it would have been difficult to put Osmond on the World team unless SC had said up-front that they were going to wait until Jr. Worlds. And if she's the real deal, she'll show it this coming season. I really hope that the consistency she magically found last season continues this coming year.

Marco
05-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I am glad they are giving Phaneuf her much needed ass kick by not immediately giving her Skate Canada.

Let's face it - at this stage, Osmond is the best bet by Canada for a top 10 finish at Sochi, barring a Rochette comeback.

Rafter
08-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Here's some potential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihjMA4ISao&list=UUbv3gsBXzIwotCt2JGySfJA&index=1&feature=plcp

I believe Seguin used to skate pairs as well with Andrew Evans.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see a Canadian lady not look completely scared out of her mind out there. Between her and Osmond, there may be some hope after all.

Habs
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Here's some potential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihjMA4ISao&list=UUbv3gsBXzIwotCt2JGySfJA&index=1&feature=plcp

I believe Seguin used to skate pairs as well with Andrew Evans.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see a Canadian lady not look completely scared out of her mind out there. Between her and Osmond, there may be some hope after all.

Julianne was very impressive at Canadians last year as well. She has some fight in her.

danafan
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Gabrielle Daleman skates with a lot of attack too. I think our juniors will do well on the JGP this year. Séguin got off to a great start.