PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Canadian Ladies Program

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Habs
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Link to Skate Canada's news release: Samson retires (http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2117/language/en-US/Default.aspx)

haribobo
11-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Canadian ladies have not had to compete at a high level in the past years because they did not have too. I think they only looked inside Canada and practiced/skated based on what they needed to excel in Canada.

I don't really buy this - why would that only happen in ladies and not in other disciplines? And why would a skater hold themselves back from doing better if they could? Najarro is just wildly consistent, Charbonneau is really tall now, Samson and Phaneuf had their injuries causing retirement, Szmiett looked promising for a while and totally fizzled out...it happens. I think its just a lot of bad luck, maybe some inferior coaching, inferior talent, or a mixture of both. And not enough spreading the wealth with assignments as well. There's some good talent coming up with Daleman, Seguin, and Chartrand, and I've seen potential in a few of the others also, but we'll see what happens. I'm glad there's finally some turnaround happening- there was a pretty talented skater for a few years named Dallas Daniel who could've really gone somewhere but she always seemed to finish just 1 spot too low at Nationals, and the skaters who finished just above her and got assigned to stuff didn't end up doing well at all (thinking Desanctis, Najarro, Grenier, Samson, Duhamel did ok but then went into pairs, etc) - then she retired, what a shame. Talent like that should have been nurtured somehow a little more- who would it have killed to send her to Nebelhorn? Anyway, 3rd place at Nationals should really be up for grabs this year and it will be a great opportunity for whoever gets the 3rd spot to 4CC.

Spazactaz
11-02-2012, 06:22 AM
^Dallas didn't retire... she was out due to injury. I'm pretty sure she'll be competing at Sectionals this weekend. She competed a few weeks ago but didn't do very well... no triples or anything. Hoping she can qualify for the Challenge though!

MysticHaze
11-05-2012, 02:17 AM
After searching the twitterverse it seems as though Alexe Gilles has advanced to the Skate Canada Challenge next month! She was in 2nd after the short but cant find the final results.

danafan
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
After searching the twitterverse it seems as though Alexe Gilles has advanced to the Skate Canada Challenge next month! She was in 2nd after the short but cant find the final results.

The full results never got updated but here's the full protocol:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com//Irma/Sectionals%202013/swde.pdf

Giouzelin Mutlu was the story here, attempting six triples in her free skate. I hope she makes nationals and the JGP next year.

ETA she wants to skate pairs:

http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4043

mag
11-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Just a little extra info ... Eri Nishimura (1st after the short) and Kelsey McNell (4th after the short) are both former Jr. National Champions.

chantilly
11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm sorry but I don't think is right to call a coach who trained a skater to the World and Olympic podium as "uneffective" Yes maybe Joannie needed a harder 3/3 she kind of came up in a different time though and was one of the few if only top skaters who had all of her triples. If she had stuck around she could have been a world champ. Orser wasn't even a coach for most of Rochette's career and by the time he stared he was already coaching her competitor.
Perhaps I was a little unfair to Joannie's coach. She did help her rework her jumps to skate them and do them cleanly after her initial issues early in her career. But after that she was skating better but still not as well as she could. The Olympic year was probably her best year but even some argued she didn't deserve the bronze. I disagree. I thought her program was better and I am pretty sure Zhang UR some jumps. However, I still think even Joannie could have given more. And I am not sure why she had consistent problems going completely clean in her programs or landing a triple triple. But I find that there has always been a psychological issue with ladies skating in Canada. As well as confidence and attack. I attribute that a lot to the coaches and probably the CFSA

The Accordion
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
As I was falling asleep last night I was thinking about this thread and how - for the first time in a while we might have to think about fixing Men's skating in Canada.

There is Patrick Chan - and then IMO a big step down. Kevin Reynolds showed promise - but whether it is his body / his head / his coach - he can't seem to make a permanent step up. I do admire that he keeps going for the quads - but they don't seem to be improving too much. He has worked on his presentation - but it is still far below the top men in the world.

There have been other promising skaters along the way - Jeremy Ten, Elladj Balde, Liam Firus, Andrei Rogozine etc. but no one who seems ready to step into the top group in the world.

Perhaps it is just that we have been spoiled in my lifetime of skating - with kind of skating version of lighting the next cigarette with the previous one
Toller Cranston - Brian Pockar - Brian Orser - Kurt Browning - Elvis Stojko - (a bit of a blip but still such potential and always the hopeless hopers with Sandhu) - Jeff Buttle - Patrick Chan.

But who next?

PeterG
11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
But who next?

I am pretty busy these days. But I will think about it and get back to you.

manhn
11-05-2012, 11:11 PM
For one, I don't think Chan's retirement after 2014 is as certain as it is for V&M. Chan can still fill that void in the same way Stojko did during the 98-02 era.

And while it's all still potential, hopefully at least one of Firus, Rogozine, Nguyen, and Mitchell can really step up.

alilou
11-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Nam Nguyen has a new coach! :respec: I believe! Now that there's a very good chance his potential will emerge. He went to Orser didn't he?

The Accordion
11-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Yes he did! Good thinking! (knock wood)

The Accordion
11-06-2012, 03:27 AM
I am pretty busy these days. But I will think about it and get back to you.

I hear Joanne McLeod has an opening now that Nguyen is gone~! Have your people contact her people! :)

PeterG
11-06-2012, 06:31 AM
And while it's all still potential, hopefully at least one of Firus, Rogozine, Nguyen, and Mitchell can really step up.

Manhn. If you don't mind stepping outside for a moment. Jeremy Ten and I would like to have a word with you.

clarie
11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Too bad we can't have more Kaetlyns. That girl just sparkles on the ice. Even if she wasn't Canadian, I would still have a new fav in her. I hope she never loses that as time goes on and she enters the pressure cooker. I wish I could see more Canadian women skate with that kind of joy and abandon and connect with the audience instead of the serious puke faces we normally see. Wishful thinking for Nats. :).