PDA

View Full Version : Michael weiss

Pages : [1] 2 3

eurodance2001
02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Thinking back to his career he always seemed kinda blah and boring but I saw his 'on the waterfront' program from the 99-00 season and how he skated that in Nice was amazingly good. Speed,atttack, aggression, clean quad and interesting choreography. Too bad about his double axel mistake and that none of his prior or subsequent work was all that interesting or dynnamic. This program was a great vehicle for him. Any thoughts?

Marco
02-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I loved his Carmen.

Actually if his later numbers weren't so pretentious, he could actually leave an impression as an extremely musical skater. His classical programs were always great.

Kasey
02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Liked his Santana program...

shine
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
I loved his Carmen.

Actually if his later numbers weren't so pretentious, he could actually leave an impression as an extremely musical skater. His classical programs were always great.

I went back to watch it too. I really disliked his hunched shoulders and stiff upper body, but wow, he actually had surprisingly good edges and skating skills in general. They were particularly noticeable during the step sequences. No jerkiness and his turns were so clean and smooth! Better than Plushy I'd say! :D

theshrew
02-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Which version of Plushy? Coz, if you are referring to the prime Pllushy, I don’t think so.
Watch Plush from 2002-2003:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WXLsJlAiw&feature=related
and you’ll see how much Plushenko’s skating skills have regressed.

PashaFan
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I loved him !
I remember him skating to Carmen at the 2000 Worlds in Nice.
I still have his qualification round & free skate on VHS.
He seemed like a nice guy.
I saw him skate at Stars On Ice to a country song, he was really good.

gkelly
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM

I did to. I thought that was a breakthrough for him in artistry and maturity.

I also liked the Beethoven LP from 1998.

orbitz
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM

I think that was Weiss' best program. It was done by Brian Wright. I don't think Weiss worked again with Wright after that, which was a shame.

snoopysnake
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I too loved the Santana program. I do wish it had used the Abraxas album segue from Black Magic Woman into Oye Como Va, though.

What a wonderful pro career he has had. It's a shame that he didn't have the pro competition opportunites that Boitano, Browning, et al, experienced.

I have had several chance encounters with him and can confirm that Michael Weiss is indeed a very nice guy.

gkelly
02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I think that was Weiss' best program. It was done by Brian Wright. I don't think Weiss worked again with Wright after that, which was a shame.

Didn't Wright also choreograph his 1997 or 1998 short programs?

eurodance2001
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I guess I should go back and re-watch some of these programs that are being mentioned! I remember seeing them at the time and not being all that wowed but I was just an early teen so lots of the details couldve been lost on me! Interesting mentions!

berthesghost
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I always enjoyed his skating. I particularly like his Santana and Carmen programs, and the Beethoven one was nice as well. Didn't care for Mulan nor the civil war one, and malagueña was kinda "eh" as well, and I can't for the life of me remember what he skated in slc. :(

PashaFan
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I always enjoyed his skating. I particularly like his Santana and Carmen programs, and the Beethoven one was nice as well. Didn't care for Mulan nor the civil war one, and malagueña was kinda "eh" as well, and I can't for the life of me remember what he skated in slc. :(

I'm trying to recall 10 years ago but I think it was spanish for the short programe & classical for the free.
I think he skated early in the short & him landed a quad combination in the free.
But I can't quite remember.

aliceanne
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
I think he is one of those skaters who is better as a pro. He enjoys crowd interaction and is always in shape when he performs. I don't think he enjoyed being held to a classical standard when he was competing.

berthesghost
02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I know he's a big crowd pleaser in shows and obviously works very hard at it, but personally I can't watch all of those break-dancing to boy-bands programs he does. I enjoyed him far, far more as an eligible skater.