PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

pair mom
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Try his next book, Angel's Game (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7380399-the-angel-s-game). It's a sort of prequel to Shadow of the Wind, but not entirely. Still set in Barcelona, you meet Daniel and his father in his bookshop before their own adventures, but this story is about the main character David and his experiences in writing that elusive perfect novel. I didn't love it as much as SOTW, but it's still a very good book. A warning though, Angel's Game is VASTLY darker and affects you much differently. Zafon addresses these differences here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xYzsCtuKII). Also, his next new book The Prisoner of Heaven (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13369595-the-prisoner-of-heaven), a sequel to SOTW featuring adult Daniel's and Fermi's new adventures, comes out in the US on June 19!!!!!!! :cheer2:

And if you really want to fangirl on Zafon like I do, check out his first works written the the early/mid-90s. They're teen/YA books, the first 2 of like-themed 4 books--Prince of Mist and Midnight Palace--are out now. #3, Watcher in the Shadows, comes out in May. They're just now being released in the US due to publishing disputes (not sure of the exact details).

Yay x 1000!!! Thanks Spinner!

oleada
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm reading the second book in the Heist Society series, Uncommon Criminals. It's the school year, and I need something light and fun. This fits the bill.

I read a sample of Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, I'm broke and can't buy it at the moment, but it's definitely on the to-read list.

PrincessLeppard
03-06-2012, 12:03 AM
I just finished Uglies and Pretties. Is it worth it to read Specials?

I just got Divergent from the library. Pretty excited to start that one. When I have time.

galaxygirl
03-06-2012, 12:06 AM

I just got Divergent from the library. Pretty excited to start that one. When I have time.

I loved Divergent. The second book is coming out this summer. :cheer2:

rfisher
03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
I took the Nook back and upgraded to the Nook color. The other one would not connect to my wi-fi at home. I may or may not have just downloaded a ton of free mysteries or $.99 ones that I'll probably never read. :shuffle: But, who could pass up free erotic romantic mysteries? :drama:

Prancer
03-06-2012, 01:05 AM
In light of various personal issues, I have decided that I need to come to terms with my inevitable mortality, and I've been trying to read Never Say Die: The Myth and Marketing of the New Old Age (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/never-say-die-susan-jacoby/1021859341).

Holy crap, it's depressing. :yikes:

Nan
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I may or may not have just downloaded a ton of free mysteries or $.99 ones that I'll probably never read. :shuffle:

Those free/$.99 books get me every time. They aren't bad for wasting a little time if you aren't in a mood to think too much. ;)

zaphyre14
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I finished an old Charlaine Harris "A Secret Rage" - dated but decent study of rape in a small Southern college town but there wasn't much mystery involved. Apprently, given her "True Blood" success, they're reissuing a bunch of her oldies. She's come a long way in style, I think.

For light and frothy, I'm reading Mary Balogh's "The Secret Mistress" and finding it disappointing. I'm more than halfway through and there's no mistress involved and certainly nothing any of the characters do is a secret. I'm also finding the characters very flat, which is not what I expect from Balogh. I got it from the library so it's not as if I'd wasted money on this one but I'm still disappointed.

In the car, I finished Jeffrey Deaver's "The Devil's Teardrop" - the twists and turns and back-from-the-dead characters kept me interested through a couple of traffic jams which is pretty much all I ask for in car audio. :) I'm now plunging into Tolkien's "The Two Towers" for Lent.

Prancer
03-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Those free/$.99 books get me every time. They aren't bad for wasting a little time if you aren't in a mood to think too much. ;)

I just about had a heart attack when Cheap E-reads said "No more Nook books." Thank goodness that worked out :P.

Every now and then, they have some genuinely good books on their list, and I've picked a up a couple of mystery series that I like from there. I really like those Food and Wine cookbooks B&N has been selling cheap lately, too.

rfisher, you should download B&N's Book Buddy app and/or follow Cheap E-reads on Facebook. Sooooooo many cheap books, so little time to read them.

Zemgirl
03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
For light and frothy, I'm reading Mary Balogh's "The Secret Mistress" and finding it disappointing. I'm more than halfway through and there's no mistress involved and certainly nothing any of the characters do is a secret. I'm also finding the characters very flat, which is not what I expect from Balogh. I got it from the library so it's not as if I'd wasted money on this one but I'm still disappointed.
I must say that Balogh's not my idea of light or frothy. There's something a bit distancing about the way she writes; her style is rather mannered and it can come across as flat when she isn't on. If I were looking for a light and frothy historical, I'd probably opt for Loretta Chase, Julia Quinn or maybe Connie Brockway. But I'm more about dark and/or angsty anyway. :D

I'm now plunging into Tolkien's "The Two Towers" for Lent.

I just finished my first re-read of the LOTR trilogy in years; I should probably go back and read The Hobbit again, too. But first I need to finish re-reading Persepolis for my book club.

zaphyre14
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I must say that Balogh's not my idea of light or frothy.

Compared to LOTR, "War and Peace" would be light and frothy. :lol:

No, as far as Regency authors go, Mary Balogh isn't among the frothier ones, but she's usually good for a decent story with strong, well-developed characters. "A Secret Mistress" isn't one of her better books at all. For major froth, I'd go with Marian Chesney (is she still writing?) but I tend to avoid those ones unless I'm truly stuck in a very, very dark place for a long time. Balogh and Putney are my usual choices for lighter (for me) reading.

Mozart
03-09-2012, 02:18 AM
I am rereading my favourite performance anxiety/music book called A Soprano on Her Head: Right-side up reflections of life and other performances by Eloise Ristad. All musicians should read it. It's great.

IceAlisa
03-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Thought about reading Joyce Carol Oates' Black Water but chickened out. She is so visceral, she gets under your skin. I have to be in the mood for JCO although I absolutely love her work. Will come back to it, it sounds amazing.

So I am reading Atwood's The Blind Assassin. Just a few pages in but so far I like it.

rjblue
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
I loved The Blind Assassin.

I'm reading Philip Jose Farmers Riverworld. All of humanity is resurrected, and placed along a river that is millions of miles long. I'm finding it a nice, grownup change after reading The Hunger Games last week. I don't much like the protagonist though, but I think I'm not supposed to. I just googled the title, and I see that the SyFy channel did a series based on the novel, so I'll have to check that out.

Evilynn
03-09-2012, 12:29 PM

I thought Specials was worth the read (if you liked Uglies and Pretties at least), Extras was so-so, although I can see the point in force feeding it to the teens to today. :shuffle:

I started reading a Lilith Saintcrow, but it was book #3 out of a series and I haven't read #1-2 yet, and it seems like it might be a good idea to read them in order, so back to the pile it went. I'm currently reading yet another Caitlin R. Kiernan book, and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I keep forgetting I never really enjoy her books, yet I keep reading them.