PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

emason
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
I come here with great trepidation because I am currently reading, gasp, Moby Dick. Actually I have signed up for a lecture/discussion group at The Center for Fiction here in NYC. There is a fee of $150, but it is 8 sessions, every other Tuesday, for an hour and a half, so that makes it a manageable under $20 per session. At the end of this I can finally express an opinion on whether I think this is the Great American Novel of the 19th Century or the most overrated book ever written.

So far I am enjoying it, mostly because the writing style has surprised me. It's much more florid and OTT than I was expecting or remembering from the scant bit of it I had previously read. I should have read all of it in high school when I was supposed to. I remember not being able to answer the final exam question on the symbolism of the Monkey Rope chapter. Now almost 50 years later my curiosity will be satisfied.

Meanwhile, strictly for fun, I am reading Traitor's Knot by Janny Wurts. I am 3 books behind in her Wars of Light and Shadow series and really must get caught up. The publication date of Traitor's Knot indicates the book has been sitting in a pile on the floor by my bed for EIGHT years waiting to be read.

rfisher
08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Kathy Reich has always had a propensity for info dumpage, but good lord, Kathy you've outdone yourself in your latest Bones book. And, she had a nurse taking x-rays! THEY don't know how and she damn well knows that. :lol: I used to have my intro to biological anthropology students read a couple of her books because it made the labs more interesting, but I may have my radiology students read this one so they can mock her descriptions of the CT scan and having the nurse take the x-rays. We usually read one of Bill Blass' Body Farm books where he uses a lot of poetic license regarding radiation. Maybe I'll make them read two extra books. :EVILLE:

IceAlisa
09-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I come here with great trepidation because I am currently reading, gasp, Moby Dick. Actually I have signed up for a lecture/discussion group at The Center for Fiction here in NYC. There is a fee of $150, but it is 8 sessions, every other Tuesday, for an hour and a half, so that makes it a manageable under $20 per session. At the end of this I can finally express an opinion on whether I think this is the Great American Novel of the 19th Century or the most overrated book ever written.

So far I am enjoying it, mostly because the writing style has surprised me. It's much more florid and OTT than I was expecting or remembering from the scant bit of it I had previously read. I should have read all of it in high school when I was supposed to. I remember not being able to answer the final exam question on the symbolism of the Monkey Rope chapter. Now almost 50 years later my curiosity will be satisfied.

I think it's wonderful that you are reading and discussing MD. There are plenty of books that make me wish there was someone to talk to about them or even hold my hand through them. Like Ulysses, for instance.

More frequently just "marrow." The term "vegetable marrow" would normally only be used if it were necessary to differentiate from animal bone marrow.

They also use the French names for eggplant (aubergine) and zucchini (courgette). And rocket or rockette instead of arugula.

But it's all English. :D

See, I am familiar with aubergine and courgette and even rockette or roquette. For some reason, marrow had escaped my attention until now. :shuffle:

Thanks for the info! I still think it's a strange name for a vegetable.

Michalle
09-01-2012, 01:12 AM
I read Moby Dick 10 - 15 pages at a time (read those pages, then go to sleep) until I hit p. 400 (it was 550 long) and then I finally gave up. Maybe one day I'll come back to it.

michiruwater
09-01-2012, 02:54 AM
I only got to page 150 or so, so you did better than me. Dad still brings up the fact that I didn't finish Moby Dick with relative frequency.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 03:32 AM
My AP English teacher thought that Moby Dick was the GREATEST BOOK EVER. I never even finished Chapter One. :shuffle:

Michalle
09-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Moby Dick could put me to sleep ANYWHERE. In an armchair, in bed, on the floor, wherever.

IceAlisa
09-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Moby Dick could put me to sleep ANYWHERE. In an armchair, in bed, on the floor, wherever.

At least you have a proven sleep aid should you ever suffer from insomnia. :yawn:

I have never attempted it myself. Really enjoying my Christie collection, well-written, witty, entertaining and purchased used for $3 at a quaint bookstore--what more can you want?

I think I will make myself a cup of (decaf at this hour) English tea with milk and curl up with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It's been a very long week, first week of school for Mini Ice, very busy workweek for me--I feel I earned it. :)

puglover
09-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Any Lee Child - Jack Reacher fans out there? I am really pumped that his new book comes out - I think September 11th in North America. I especially love his books read by Dick Hill - he just is Jack Reacher to me.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
It turns out I wasn't in the mood for Delafield after all, so I've switched to The Tortoise and the Hare (http://www.amazon.com/Tortoise-Hare-VMC-Designer-Collection/dp/1844087476/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346506660&sr=1-1) by Elizabeth Jenkins. Upper-middle-class marriage headed for the rocks, with an unlikely Other Woman.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I haven't gotten that far - Nell's just beginning her acting career, after having risen from oyster-hawker to whore to orange-seller. A remarkable number of people around her have died though...

I always found it interesting that Gwyn managed to become a successful actress in spite of the fact that she was illiterate. And plays in those days had short runs (maybe a week, often less), so she must have had to learn the upcoming role while performing the current one. All without the benefit of being able to read.

rfisher
09-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Any Lee Child - Jack Reacher fans out there? I am really pumped that his new book comes out - I think September 11th in North America. I especially love his books read by Dick Hill - he just is Jack Reacher to me.

Prancer and I have a love/hate relationship with Reacher. Prancer really loves him. :D

You know, I've never listened to a Reacher book on audio. I may have to try that. Some books are better than others. It depends on whether Child is making an effort or just making more $$$$$.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sheer nonsense that Tom Cruise is going to play 6'5" 250 lb Jack Reacher in a movie.

For those Moby Dick haterz, go on a whale watching trip and hope you get lucky enough to see sperm whales. You'll need to nail someone's gold card to the ship mast first. It's pretty exciting to follow them in a zodiac. And then read the real account that Melville distorted about a whaler being sunk by a sperm whale. It's much more exciting than what Melville dreamed of back in the safety of shore. If you do that, you'll have a better appreciation of Moby Dick when you do the reread. That book is In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick. The stories of cannibalism were buried in Melville's day, but this is the real story of Melville's novel.

PML this is from the Library Journar regarding the next Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel

Editorial Reviews

Library Journal
No plot details—there never are on an Evanovich novel—but clearly Stephanie Plum is back after the million-copy-plus best seller Explosive Eighteen, and a big, bold marketing campaign is promised.

How kind of them regarding the fact there are is no plot in the books at all.

PDilemma
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
My AP English teacher thought that Moby Dick was the GREATEST BOOK EVER. I never even finished Chapter One. :shuffle:

If you thought the first chapter was bad...good thing you never reached the "whaling chapter" in which Melville describes different types of whales in endless detail. :scream:

puglover
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I totally agree that some Jack Reacher books are way better then others. And -
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher makes a mockery of the books. It just makes no sense because Reacher's superior size is a theme in all of the story lines and I am taller then Tom Cruise and I am female. I do like the audio format by Dick Hill - he gets the Reacher
tone great but he does female voices really whiny , at least IMHO.

Nomad
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
If you thought the first chapter was bad...good thing you never reached the "whaling chapter" in which Melville describes different types of whales in endless detail. :scream:

I heard about it. Almost all of my classmates bitched about how pointless it was and how it added nothing to the story. But I was in my Oscar Wilde phase at the time and just couldn't be bothered with Melville, assigned reading or no.