PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Nan
08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Which one did you give up on?

I stopped reading First Among Equals. It jumped from character to character at the beginning and was just chaotic for me. Maybe I was just tired, I may try it again later.

skatesindreams
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Read both in uni. I think they're "worth" reading just as a matter of cultural literacy, and certainly part of a good liberal arts education ... but they're not exactly what I'd classify as enjoyable. And they did not incline me to read any of her non-fiction. Ever.

My thoughts on Rand, as well.

Artemis@BC
08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I stopped reading First Among Equals. It jumped from character to character at the beginning and was just chaotic for me. Maybe I was just tired, I may try it again later.

Oh, do try again. That one is probably my favourite of his -- either that, or Not a Penny More. I liked Kane and Abel / The Prodigal Daughter too, but thought they needed a serious trim.

It's been a loooong time since I read First Among Equals, but iirc the multi-character storylines start to make sense before too long.

gkelly
08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Has anyone ever read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead? I recieved these today, so they are on the list too. :)

Read both in uni. I think they're "worth" reading just as a matter of cultural literacy, and certainly part of a good liberal arts education ... but they're not exactly what I'd classify as enjoyable.

I enjoyed them a lot in high school. If I were to go back to them any time since, I'd think they'd need a lot of editing to be better novels.

If you're interested in the philosophy, either to agree or to disagree, then read the whole things. If you're just interested in the story, you can skim the long speeches.

Nan
08-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh, do try again.

Thanks, I will. :)

Erin
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I can't remember why I bought it - whether it was someone in this thread or if it was an Amazon recommendation based on other books I liked. In any event, I did not care for it. The characters were all pretentious, not one likeable person in the bunch or even someone I could relate to or understand their motivations. Normally, I would just skip to the end and then give up on a book like that, but in this case, just reading the end didn't make a whole lot of sense so I was mildly curious as to how the end happened and tried to skim through as much of the rest to make it there.

The annotated Austens, on the other hand, were :swoon: Although after devouring 3 of them in one week, I was getting a little weary of the repetitive annotations. It's a good thing there will be a break before the next one. I noticed that they seem to be coming out about once a year, so perhaps in early 2013 a new one will be out.

Now on to I Capture the Castle. Since it's been more than a year since I tried to read the e-book version that was only half the book, I've decided to start from the beginning again and am really enjoying it. At least here is a book I know I will like!

flyingsit
08-26-2012, 06:13 PM
I went on a serious binge this week. I read The Cement Garden which was kind of a waste, the Shoemaker's Wife which was :swoon: and The Talk-Funny Girl which I also really liked.

rfisher
08-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm listening to Burn Notice by Nevada Barr. Now, I remember why I didn't get more than a third of the way through the book. Sigh. The early Anna Pigeon books were so good. Full of action and Anna was fun if a bit quirky. Ms. Barr has apparently decided that angsty self-reflection takes up lots of page space rather than working on a well-developed plot. I just want to slap the poor mother who lost her kids and tell her to snap out of it. I have no sympathy whatsoever. Anna has now been relegated to library fodder. I won't buy any more.

michiruwater
08-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Finished The Great Gatsby, which somehow wasn't ever on a reading list in High School, and I wonder why I didn't read it till now. I freaking hate Daisy though. Didn't understand for the whole book why anyone seemed to like her.

IceAlisa
08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
The Great Gatsby turned out to be every bit as good as advertised and then some.

michiruwater
08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Yep, totally agree.

I read my dad's copy. He underlined colors throughout the whole book, but only some of them. I asked him if he remembered why he only underlined some of them, and he didn't. I really want to know now :shuffle:

Prancer
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
The early Anna Pigeon books were so good. Full of action and Anna was fun if a bit quirky. Ms. Barr has apparently decided that angsty self-reflection takes up lots of page space rather than working on a well-developed plot.

We've talked about this in the past in these threads, but some of us are convinced that Nevada Barr has come to hate Anna and is making her suffer because she can't bring herself to kill the character off--and it seems obvious that she would like to.

But Barr's other books never do well, so I expect she will continue to do terrible things to poor Anna's goose so those golden eggs allow her to do her other books every now and then.

Finished The Great Gatsby, which somehow wasn't ever on a reading list in High School, and I wonder why I didn't read it till now. I freaking hate Daisy though. Didn't understand for the whole book why anyone seemed to like her.

Argh, how I loathe Daisy Buchanon. :mad:

oleada
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi, everyone. :) I think I need a piece of advice. It seemed to me sometime ago that I wasn't reading enough, so I decided work on that and, as a result, I have now a problem of choice :)

So here are my options:
Terry Pratchett Discworld series
Philip Jose Farmer Riverworld series
Frank Herbert Dune series
Tolkien Lord of the Rings trilogy plus Silmarillion and the Hobbit
George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire
Margaret Thatcher's autobiographical books (The path to power and The Downing Street years)
Agatha Christie's Poirot and Marple series (though I almost finished reading Marple by now)
Hunger Games trilogy (people say that I made a wrong choice of buying girlish books at the age of 33) :)

I am really at a loss now, I think I shouldn't have bought so many books, but I couldn't stop.

I tried reading LotR a while ago, after loving the movies, but I just could not get through it. I read about 100 pages of the hobbits walking and singing in the forest and dropped it.

I haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire, but my brother is obsessed with it.

I loved the Hunger Games, and they are fun and fast to read. If it makes you feel better, I've seen quite a few grown men reading them in the subway :)

I have a bunch of started books. :shuffle: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, which despite Spinner's recommendation, I cannot get through; Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity which is getting rather repetitive; Portia deRossi's book Unbearable Lightness which I bought after a weekend long Arrested Development binge and the new Jonathan Tropper which I'm trying to hold off until I finish at least one or two of the above.

I just need to pick one and stick with it.

Nomad
08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire, but my brother is obsessed with it....

I read that and now I rather regret it. It will probably be a couple of years before the next installment comes out and even then it won't be finished. Just something to keep in mind.

Currently reading Pat Barker's Blow Your House Down, about a modern day Jack the Ripper, told from the whores' point of view. It's gritty and rather painful reading sometimes, but that's because Barker is an excellent writer. You get a very real (almost too real, sometimes) sense of the awfulness of these women's lives. Barker also wrote Union Street, which was made into the movie Stanley and Iris, and won the Booker Prize for the last novel in her WWI Regeneration trilogy.

Wyliefan
08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Listening to The Chaperone on audiobook. So far, not bad. Elizabeth McGovern is doing a nice job of reading it.