PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

michiruwater
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I felt really bad for Nick and was rooting for him to get the hell from Amy, so the ending didn't really thrill me either, though I wouldn't say it pissed me off or anything.

Artemis@BC
08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
The ending of Gone Girl pissed me off to no end. I understood how she got there, but really?

IKWYM ... but because so much of the structure of the plot was unconventional, I didn't really expect a conventional happy ending.

Now I've moved on to Ian McEwen's The Cement Garden.

Talk about an author who manages to consistenly piss me off wih his endings!

FarFarAway
08-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi, everyone. :) I think I need a piece of advice. It seemed to me sometime ago that I wasn't reading enough, so I decided work on that and, as a result, I have now a problem of choice :)

So here are my options:
Terry Pratchett Discworld series
Philip Jose Farmer Riverworld series
Frank Herbert Dune series
Tolkien Lord of the Rings trilogy plus Silmarillion and the Hobbit
George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire
Margaret Thatcher's autobiographical books (The path to power and The Downing Street years)
Agatha Christie's Poirot and Marple series (though I almost finished reading Marple by now)
Hunger Games trilogy (people say that I made a wrong choice of buying girlish books at the age of 33) :)

I am really at a loss now, I think I shouldn't have bought so many books, but I couldn't stop.

IceAlisa
08-21-2012, 05:58 AM
I can understand. I have the same problem. I liked Terry Pratchett, would be interested in the Margaret Thatcher autobiography, love Poirot and Marple, all Agatha Christies, in fact.

I gave up Tolkien after a few pages but there are legions of faithful fans. My problem is there is little sense of humor in the books. Haven't read the Hunger games but am sure we have posters here who have read both Tolkien and the HG and will comment.

After I am finished with my annotated Austens and my newly purchased Agatha Christies, I am thinking of starting America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

But that's me.

So what are YOU in the mood for?

Nomad
08-21-2012, 06:32 AM

Certainly not the horrific trend of rewriting the classics to include crass, often revolting sex scenes, like Jane Eyre Laid Bare :rolleyes: Another reason why I shun goodreads.com. They actively promote that crap.

IceAlisa
08-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Certainly not the horrific trend of rewriting the classics to include crass, often revolting sex scenes, like Jane Eyre Laid Bare :rolleyes: Another reason why I shun goodreads.com. They actively promote that crap.

I have never heard of that one. No one should be re-writing the classics. They are classics for a reason.

FarFarAway
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
After I am finished with my annotated Austens and my newly purchased Agatha Christies, I am thinking of starting America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

Oh, I would also love to read about Jacqueline Onassis. I hope it is available on Amazon as an eBook, since I have quite a good Kindle app on my iPad and I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to buy it in English as a normal book here.

At the monent I am more inclined to start with Tolkien in fact, since my boyfriend loves Lord of the Rings series and he has spent six long years to make me pay attention to Tolkien works:D Last month he finally persuaded me to watch the movie trilogy for the first time in my life and I quite liked it, so I decided to give it a try.

The reason I didn't do it before is that at the University I had a lot of friends who were Tolkien fans and they just talked every time about him and his books and I guess I finally got so tired that I lost all the interest:(

Dear me, I would never read this stuff. It sounds horrible. I am actually on Goodreads, though, joined last month, because a good friend of mine is there and I trust her choice of books and her ratings.

PrincessLeppard
08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
You can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett. I like the series with the wizards and the Night Watch best. :)

I thought Pride and Prejudice was improved immeasurably with the addition of zombies. :P

Nomad
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I have never heard of that one. No one should be re-writing the classics. They are classics for a reason.

There was an article (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/17/classic-books-added-sex-scenes_n_1678522.html) in the HP about this.

Post 63 (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/981077?class=mediumText&order=a&page=2) gives you an idea of what these books are like.

zaphyre14
08-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm reading Kaylani Price's "Grave Witch" and "Grave Dance" right now. I'm pretty sure I've read "Witch" before, but I've forgotten enough of the details about the alternate world to make it interesting and I needed the re-intro to make sense of "Dance." People who liked the earliest Anita Blake books might like this one.

I have an old Lillian Jackson Braun audio going in the car "The Cat Who Smelled A Rat" - even though I'm not a cat fancier at all. But the not-so-subtle digs at life in a small midwestern town "400 miles north of anywhere" are amusing and the mystery is light and the deaths non-bloody, which after the last couple of intense mysteries I did on the way too and from Cape Cod, is a blessing.

michiruwater
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
The LOTR film trilogy are three of the greatest films ever made. I love them.

The book trilogy? Boring as heck. I never finished it.

I'd go with Discworld, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Hunger Games.

Nan
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I just finished Voices of the Dead by Elmore Leonard and am already more than halfway through A Matter Of Honor by Jeffrey Archer.

I think the ending was a little weak in Voices, but I got a little kick out of reading a book that was set in places I'd been and could say, "I know where that is!"

I stopped reading another Jeffrey Archer book before I finished the first chapter, but since Matter of Honor was already on my Nook, I gave it a try and ended up staying up w-a-y too late last night reading.

FarFarAway
08-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Has anyone ever read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead? I recieved these today, so they are on the list too. :)

Artemis@BC
08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Has anyone ever read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead? I recieved these today, so they are on the list too. :)

Read both in uni. I think they're "worth" reading just as a matter of cultural literacy, and certainly part of a good liberal arts education ... but they're not exactly what I'd classify as enjoyable. And they did not incline me to read any of her non-fiction. Ever.

Artemis@BC
08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I stopped reading another Jeffrey Archer book before I finished the first chapter, but since Matter of Honor was already on my Nook, I gave it a try and ended up staying up w-a-y too late last night reading.

Which one did you give up on? I read a lot of Archer in his earlier days, but haven't read anything by him for ages.