PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PrincessLeppard
02-18-2012, 02:02 AM
I like the book and I am amazed at how suspenseful it is, given that we all know the outcome,

I know, right? OMG. Are they going to find out Edwards is having an affair? :watch: Even though I knew how that was going to go down...

but I am sometimes annoyed by an overly slangy phrase. Bill Clinton insisted on getting up in Teddy Kennedy's grille? Really?

I must've missed that completely. :lol:

star_gazer11
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
If anyone is looking for a fun, light book, try Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer.

I'm trying to not start any new series that are finished being published (though I expect to fail :D) but I have this one in my goodreads queue.

Seconded :) It's a magic regency YA read, and in epistolary format to boot (the two authors take turns writing the letters between cousins). This is the first book of a trilogy, but IMO you could stop after this one and ignore the others; I didn't think the second or third were as good as the first.

Prancer
02-19-2012, 02:31 AM
I know, right? OMG. Are they going to find out Edwards is having an affair? :watch: Even though I knew how that was going to go down...

Finished, and I must say--what a soap opera. Dysfunctional marriages! Adultery! Backstabbing! Gossip! More backstabbing! Machiavellian scheming! Even more backstabbing! Even more adultery! With occasional comic relief supplied by Edwards :lol:. I actually LOL when I got to the part about McCain, Graham and Lieberman falling over themselves laughing at Edwards on YouTube and yelling "Play it again! Play it again!"

I must've missed that completely. :lol:

It happened from time to time in the first section, but never after that, which makes me think that they were closely paraphrasing someone in the Obama or Clinton camp.

I ended up feeling pity for pretty much everyone involved except Obama, and only because Obama, in spite of his inexperience with elections, seemed to understand how things worked and just let it all roll right off of his overconfident hide. Why anyone would ever want to run for President is beyond me.

PrincessLeppard
02-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Great. Now I'm going to have to read it again. :P

Prancer
02-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Great. Now I'm going to have to read it again. :P

I forgot to mention my very favorite part--when Cheney endorsed McCain. Bwahahahaha!

I told my husband that he needs to read it before the next election. He is very suspicious of my motives. I told him it's not really about politics, but human nature, so he's decided to give it a try.

So many books, so many papers to grade this week.

zaphyre14
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM
On impulse I picked up Deborah Harkness' "A Discovery of Witches" at B&N and started it recently. It's pretty good and I'd recommend it to the vampire/witch fans. I picked it up because it's set in Oxford Unversity more than anything, but the plot is twisted enough to appeal to me and so far the characters are nicely developed. Harkness has done a decent job with her world-building. It's supposed to the start of a series and it's making me wonder where she'll go next.

In the car I'm still slogging through Tolkien. Obviously he never believed in the old "show, don't tell" maxim of fiction.

Evilynn
02-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Me too! Just got it from the library after a longish queue. Talk about crossover appeal -- literati and SF geeks. :P

I heard about the book when I saw her interviewed on Strombo. She was her usual witty self. But I just checked and it doesn't look like the video is online anywhere, though the synopsis is. http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/guest-page/margaret-atwood.html

I think I found the video here (http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/videos.html?id=2153620696) :) Finished In Other Worlds rather quickly (I'd read a number of the reviews/essays before) and tore through a book of photography and poetry from the high desert of Oregon(!), Out Here: Poems and Images from Steens Mountain Country (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8378818-out-here), (the poetry and illustrations are by Ursula K LeGuin, the photohraphy by Roger Dorbrand) before starting By the Mountain Bound (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6393644-by-the-mountain-bound) by Elizabeth Bear. Got about half of the latter to go, and it seems to be a quicker read than #1 in the series, but I'm still not sure I'll read #3. It is a bit odd, because I normally really like Bear's books, but this is some of her early works, and I'm a little allergic to books dealing with Norse myth/set in a pseudo Norse setting (I think the names get to me more, because it's easier for me to tell when they're really wrong).

rfisher
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
On impulse I picked up Deborah Harkness' "A Discovery of Witches" at B&N and started it recently. It's pretty good and I'd recommend it to the vampire/witch fans. I picked it up because it's set in Oxford Unversity more than anything, but the plot is twisted enough to appeal to me and so far the characters are nicely developed. Harkness has done a decent job with her world-building. It's supposed to the start of a series and it's making me wonder where she'll go next.

In the car I'm still slogging through Tolkien. Obviously he never believed in the old "show, don't tell" maxim of fiction.

I read A Discovery of Witches. It started slow, but picked up speed. I liked it also even though the reviews weren't all that good. I do hope she does a sequel as I'd like to see what she does with the story.

New JD Robb out today. :cheer2:

Nan
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
I finished Just Run by Chris Culver and Last Breath by Michael Prescott. Both were good weekend reads, nothing earth shattering, but some nice light entertainment.

CDANN1013
02-21-2012, 06:42 PM
I read A Discovery of Witches. It started slow, but picked up speed. I liked it also even though the reviews weren't all that good. I do hope she does a sequel as I'd like to see what she does with the story.

New JD Robb out today. :cheer2:

The sequel to A Discovery of Witches is coming out in July. Gotta get my Roarke fix.

Carol

Artemis@BC
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
A Discovery of Witches is on my read-soon list ... but if there's a sequel coming I should get to it sooner rather than later.

zaphyre14
02-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I finished "Discovery of Witches" and am also looking forward to the sequel (even though books that practically force you to buy the next volume annoy me just on principle). I then picked up "A Game of Thrones" because I've had it hanging around a while and winter seems like a good time to read something dense. I'm confused already and I'm only in Chapter 1. I may be too dense myself for this. At bedtime, I picked up Jane Feather's "All the Queen's Players" about actors and spies in Elizabethan court. Thankfully I'm finally nearing the end of LOTRv1 in the car. I don't know how long it will be before I'm ready to tackle v2. If ever.

rfisher
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Thankfully I'm finally nearing the end of LOTRv1 in the car. I don't know how long it will be before I'm ready to tackle v2. If ever.

Theres a lot more action in v2 and 3.

zaphyre14
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Theres a lot more action in v2 and 3.

There could hardly be less.... :)

While sorting through a box of books to post on Paperbackswap.com, I came across "The Girl Who Could Fly" by Victoria Forester. Reading the blurb rang no bells so I started it out of curiousity (as in "Why did I buy this?). It's a kid's book with big print and a decent plot. Piper has been able to "float" from birth and her parent have kept her isolated from the community to hide her oddity. But the secret gets out and Piper ends up being taken to a secret school for other exceptional children. But the kids there are just as mean and judgmental as the ones back home and little more than lab rats for the director's study. It's not as well-written as I think it could have been, but it's a nice break from Tolkien and the witches. :)

Nomad
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I started Skyscraper yesterday. It's part of the Femmes Fatales: Women Write Pulp series. Can a girl from a small town in the Midwest have a successful career and find love in the Big City? Very much of its time (1931) but reasonably entertaining. MGM made a pretty good movie of it, Skyscraper Souls, one of those all-star cast affairs like Grand Hotel and Dinner at Eight except they used their second/third tier stars for this one.