PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
08-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Persephone is an awesome publisher. I discovered Monica Dickens through them, as well as Noel Streatfeild's Saplings.

I have a big plastic bin full of Persephones. Nicola Beauman has done a great job picking titles to reissue. Have you read any of the Dorothy Whipple novels?

star_gazer11
08-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Some girls I knew who went to the really big schools downstate would talk about how they had lunch at 10 AM when they were freshmen (one girl had lunch at 9:30 AM - WHAT?) and I was always horrified.

Wait, whaaat? This is a new concept to me - staggered lunch? What is wrong with everybody eating lunch at the same midday time? Sure, the cafeteria can't fit everyone, but its seating is meant for those buying, not the entire school, no? People at my high school usually opted for eating lunch in front of their lockers/hallways/in classrooms where a teacher left it open for lunch.

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella was fun. I think her standalone books are the ones I've liked better, I should stop reading the Shopaholic ones.

genevieve
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Wait, whaaat? This is a new concept to me - staggered lunch? What is wrong with everybody eating lunch at the same midday time? Sure, the cafeteria can't fit everyone, but its seating is meant for those buying, not the entire school, no? People at my high school usually opted for eating lunch in front of their lockers/hallways/in classrooms where a teacher left it open for lunch.
In my high school, you ate IN the dining hall. I mean, you could leave if you wanted, but the school did not use disposable dishes, so the only food you could take our of the dining hall was what you could carry in your hand.
My first high school had a more traditional cafeteria, and people could take their food wherever, but most people ate in the cafeteria, and there were 2 different lunch periods.

Neither of these were particularly large schools, either. Around 100 students per grade.

PrincessLeppard
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM

My school has three lunch shifts. You eat in the cafeteria and only in the cafeteria, though I do let some students eat in my room, sometimes.

Nineteen Minutes was pretty good, but I figured out the DEEP DARK SECRET about a third of the way in, so when it was finally revealed on the next to the last page, I was just like "meh." And the fact that the "brilliant" detective hadn't figured it out until then made him....less brilliant. ;)

I'm now reading Columbine by Dave Cullen. So far, really interesting. He had access to the all the journals, tapes and police reports.

gkelly
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Off topic, but since we've drifted there...

As I recall our high school had five lunch periods, but they were short -- half a class period.

So the periods were 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, E, 6, 7

If you had A lunch, then your 4th-period class was in the B-C slot

Hm, now I can't remember what happened if you had B or D lunch

michiruwater
08-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Some schools have pretty tight lunchtime security and students must eat in the cafeteria and only in the cafeteria. At the place I student taught there were three lunch shifts total and students were not allowed to leave the cafeteria during lunch except to use the bathroom. In many schools the cafeteria is not large enough to fit all of the thousands of students and it would take too long for many of them to get lunch in a standard lunch period.

gkelly, where I student taught, if you had B lunch, for example, then your 4th-period class was actually split in half around the lunch period, which struck me as bizarre to say the least.

Prancer
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
gkelly, where I student taught, if you had B lunch, for example, then your 4th-period class was actually split in half around the lunch period, which struck me as bizarre to say the least.

Both of my kids have had that particular lunch schedule. There are 3500 kids at the high school, give or take a few hundred, and there is no way they could all eat lunch at the same time, even if there was that much seating. No one would get through the lines in time.

Kids must eat in the commons or in classrooms (and since lunches are staggered and it's each teacher's choice to open up or not, that doesn't happen often); there is absolutely no room in the hallways for anyone to sit around in front of lockers, ever. Seniors can go out for lunch, but no one has time.

star_gazer11
08-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Some schools have pretty tight lunchtime security and students must eat in the cafeteria and only in the cafeteria. At the place I student taught there were three lunch shifts total and students were not allowed to leave the cafeteria during lunch except to use the bathroom.

Ahh, well that explains it. Yes, people would have to eat in shifts if you can only eat in the cafeteria.

zaphyre14
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
The last year I taught 8th grade (the high school was grades 8 - 12), there were three lunch periods, each 23 minutes long. I taught a split-lunch class - 23 minutes of class, then lunch, then back to my class. The class was the self-styled Dummy Class, kids who were just waiting to either turn sixteen or get pregant so they could drop out. I learned quickly that any instruction had to take place in the first half of class because when they came back from "Lunch" they were usually too high (from the pot-smoking that took place in the outdoor courtyard) to pay attention. At least they were usually quieter after lunch.

And to segue back to books, the only book they managed to finish and sort of like was "A Day No Pigs Would Die."

I have a Sandra Brown novel going on audio in the car - I can't remember the title but the characters are so ridiculously cardboard that I can't stand them. The heroine is sooooo good - and so stupid that she's like the adult version of the dumb cheerleader in teen horror movies who knows she shouldn't go into the dark scary house but does anyway. The Bad Guy is thouroughly despicable, and the "hero" is Heathcliff-melancholy, tragically scarred with the wounded soul that only the heroine can reach. If it wasn't an audio and the only one I have left, I'd have tossed the stupid book out the window by now.

Erin
08-06-2012, 03:34 AM
My annotated Austens arrived late on Thursday and I have been torn between whether to spend my time reading them or watching the Olympics. Today had enough events that didn't require my full attention that I am almost through Sense & Sensibility and have to decide whether Persuasion or Emma is next. Since I like Persuasion better it would normally be a no-brainer, but also just re-read it a couple of months ago, so that makes it a toss-up between the two.

While the annotated books are definitely easier to read in a paper copy, I do find myself somewhat longing for the e-reader. I've been spoiled by being able to instantly buy e-books from home, versus having to wait 5 days for the paper books to arrive, and I also miss being able to double-click on any unfamiliar word for an instant dictionary definition.

IceAlisa
08-06-2012, 04:35 AM
I have mine too! I will start with Emma, than S&S, than Persuasion. But for now I am reading Blink, a book loaned by a friend so the Austens will have to wait. Plus my very first Wollander book is here too. I feel I need to take time off work to catch up on everything. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :)

zaphyre14
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I finally collected all my To Be Read books over the weekend, intending to put them onto a handy shelf I'd just cleared. Good plan, right? Except that I filled the shelf - and three and a half more boxes besides. I am a Book Hoarder.

I finished "Second Grave on the Right" this morning before work and am eager to start "Third Grave Dead Ahead" as soon as I get home. If you like snarky angel/demon paranormals, this is a pretty good series.

PDilemma
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I just got a Kindle for my b-day!:D

Since most of the books people talk about here are only available in eBook form at my teeny tiny library (and I can't afford to buy books), I may finally be able to read stuff I read about in this thread!

Zemgirl
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I just got a Kindle for my b-day!:D

Since most of the books people talk about here are only available in eBook form at my teeny tiny library (and I can't afford to buy books), I may finally be able to read stuff I read about in this thread!
E-books can be really inexpensive, if you know where to buy/how to find deals and aren't looking for NYT hardcover bestsellers. I almost never spend more than $5 on a book.

My most recent read was Easy by Tammara Webber. I can see how it became a bestseller; it's very readable. I think this was the first time I've read a book that can be classified as New Adult, and it won't be the last.

Also, Webber self-published it, so it's cheap! ;)

PDilemma
08-06-2012, 04:26 PM
E-books can be really inexpensive, if you know where to buy/how to find deals and aren't looking for NYT hardcover bestsellers. I almost never spend more than $5 on a book.

My most recent read was Easy by Tammara Webber. I can see how it became a bestseller; it's very readable. I think this was the first time I've read a book that can be classified as New Adult, and it won't be the last.

Also, Webber self-published it, so it's cheap! ;)

When I have regular income again (substitute teaching doesn't pay well in the summer :lol:), I'll look for cheap ones. Right now, I'm just excited I can access more new books from our library.

Crazy thing is that I've been rolling my budget around in my head for the last two weeks trying to figure out how to get one and never said anything to my husband. And I hadn't said anything to him about getting one before, either. We've been on a tight budget. I was hoping for parental b-day money to spend on one then got a gift instead. All the while, it was sitting in my husband's drawer waiting for my b-day to get here! My husband is a mind reader, I think. :D