PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

jeffisjeff
07-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Do you remember which was were good? I just got the first one, Faceless Killers.

Hmm, I am not at home, so I can't have a quick look over my collection, but I generally prefer the ones that take place entirely in Sweden, as opposed to the ones that went back and forth between Sweden and Africa or Latvia.

IceAlisa
07-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Oh OK, I saw something about Latvia in one of the titles, so perhaps will hold off on that one. Thanks!

jeffisjeff
07-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Oh OK, I saw something about Latvia in one of the titles, so perhaps will hold off on that one. Thanks!

Well, except that that one (Dogs of Riga, I think) is important to the continuing storyline of Wallender's life, such that it is. :lol: If I had to do it all over again, I'd still read them all, in sequence.

LilJen
07-26-2012, 03:14 AM
"Do you like my hat?" is a meme around my house. I loved every Seuss book.

I didn't like reading the Frances books or the Richard Scary ones.

Why did that chick have such a deep need for the other dog to like her hat? She had some problems, man.

I LOOOOOOVED Richard Scarry books. So many things to look at all the time. And Lowly Worm, with his single shoe, and Huckle Cat, and Miss Honey the schoolteacher, and Bananas Gorilla (who, yes, had a thing for bananas), and the dog who was a really bad driver. My daughter, fortunately, loved these, although could never find the two short mystery books I remember from my childhood--something about a jewel thief on a cruise? Can't remember the other one. Anyway, we still have several of these oversized Scarry books--not sure we'll get rid of them. Ever. :)

Waiting for a copy of Hunger Games vol 2 (Fire something) to become available at the library. I have #3 but I think I'll hold off. . . I don't really want to know what all happened in book 2 before I've read it!

And sort of laboring through Fahrenheit 451. It was interesting initially, but then I got sidetracked by This Is a Book by Demetri Martin. Lots of very funny stuff in that one. Including a cartoon of a guy running with the Olympic flame--and he's being followed by a guy running with a marshmallow on a stick, trying to catch up with him. Seemed apropos for right now.

TygerLily
07-26-2012, 03:26 AM
I hate when that happens! What's worse is that you can't manage ebook holds and you don't know when the copies that are checked out ahead of you are due.Ooh, that sounds annoying! I'll have to remember this complication if/when I get an e-book reader.

This one's mainly my own dumb fault, but I also tend to forget that even if I'm, say, 35th in line (which I was last time I checked), some of the people in front of me may have paused their holds. :duh:

IceAlisa
07-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Well, except that that one (Dogs of Riga, I think) is important to the continuing storyline of Wallender's life, such that it is. :lol: If I had to do it all over again, I'd still read them all, in sequence.

Aha. That's the one I almost booted off the list. Will stick to the sequence.

galaxygirl
07-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Ooh, that sounds annoying! I'll have to remember this complication if/when I get an e-book reader.

This one's mainly my own dumb fault, but I also tend to forget that even if I'm, say, 35th in line (which I was last time I checked), some of the people in front of me may have paused their holds. :duh:

Aaaand I just got two ebooks in that I'm not ready for. :wall:

Prancer
07-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Aaaand I just got two ebooks in that I'm not ready for. :wall:

:lol: I now belong to five ebook consortiums and I have so many books on hold or checked out that I can't keep track of them at all. It's a good thing they all get returned automatically or the library police would be after me for unpaid fines. I am allowed up to 50 items per library card :yikes:.

It will be nice when I am on vacation, though--I have about 1000 books on my e-reader and I can tuck them all in my purse and go. And if any of the library books expire while I am gone, no worries.

I just have to remember to read all of them in order :shuffle:.

Unfortunately, at the moment I am reading really blah stuff about global education and research methods for the 21st century and fun stuff like that and nothing at all enjoyable.

genevieve
07-26-2012, 07:23 AM
I absolutely adored Going Bovine. Loooved it. I saw it less as "it was all just a dream" than the evidence of the sickness. But then, I love Douglas Adams books and this reminded me a lot of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Plus, I apparently have a high tolerance for main characters being unconscious :saint:

One of my close friends, whose tastes are often similar to mine and who introduced me to Libba Bray, HATED it.

I just finished Going Bovine and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

*SPOILER ALERT*

She cops out with the "but it was all a dream" to avoid having to come up with a real ending, imo. And even though you know it's coming, it's still a let down. Obviously, some unrealistic stuff goes down (the gnome is possibly one of my most favorite literary characters ever) but it's not as if Beauty Queens was grounded in reality, either. And of course, you wonder what happens to the main character's sidekick, who, in the "dream" section, was able to escape his over-protective mother and find himself, for lack a better term. So it's sort of depressing to think he's still in her clutches.

Oh, well.

I read Beauty Queens before I read Going Bovine (even though they were written in the other order), and I thought BQ had some nice moments but was mostly a big fluffy read and relied more on the camp than any sort of story. It came across as lazy writing parading as commentary on the pressures young ladies face in their appearance. or something. When I read GB, I understood - she had created a snappy glimpse of this ultra vapid celebrity-based distopia and used it well as a side note in GB, and then decided to base an entire book around that society while making it all message-y. *Yawn*

I am FINALLY reading Chronic City...but of course what I really want to read is Tana French's latest, Broken Harbour, which just arrived in the bookstore this week. I just picked it up...but I'm not allowed to read it until I finish Chronic City :shuffle:

genevieve
07-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, anyone remember the original Little Mermaid, not the Disney animated film? Or The Little Matchgirl? HC Andersen could be level 4 depressing. Or there was one tale about a mother who chased Death because it carried off her child but when Death showed the mother how bad the child's life would be should he survive, the mother just let the child go. The end. Night night, kiddies.
There is a great musical called Striking 12 (http://www.groovelily.com/musicals/striking-12/) that involves a guy reading The Little Match Girl on new year's eve - there's a whole song devoted to how wacked out Hans Christian Andersen was - the song is called "Screwed Up People Make Great Art" :lol:

(sorry for the double post!)

Artemis@BC
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I got sidetracked by This Is a Book by Demetri Martin. Lots of very funny stuff in that one. Including a cartoon of a guy running with the Olympic flame--and he's being followed by a guy running with a marshmallow on a stick, trying to catch up with him. Seemed apropos for right now.

:lol: Just checked and my library has it, with no queue. Sounds like perfect summer "reading." I've enjoyed his humour on his TV show, I'm guessing the book is in the same vein.

Nan
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm starting to worry about myself. The Little Matchgirl was one of my favorite stories when I was little.

So was The Poky Little Puppy (his siblings conspire against him) and The Three Little Kittens (who couldn't have pie because they lost their mittens!).

;)

IceAlisa
07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
"Screwed Up People Make Great Art" :lol:

(sorry for the double post!)
They certainly do. I've been referencing this cartoon for a while where EA Poe is shown looking up at the raven in a tree, saying "Hi birdie, have a nice day! :) "The caption said "If Prozac were available in 19th century."

galaxygirl
07-26-2012, 09:58 PM
:lol: I now belong to five ebook consortiums and I have so many books on hold or checked out that I can't keep track of them at all. It's a good thing they all get returned automatically or the library police would be after me for unpaid fines. I am allowed up to 50 items per library card :yikes:.

It will be nice when I am on vacation, though--I have about 1000 books on my e-reader and I can tuck them all in my purse and go. And if any of the library books expire while I am gone, no worries.

I just have to remember to read all of them in order :shuffle:.

Unfortunately, at the moment I am reading really blah stuff about global education and research methods for the 21st century and fun stuff like that and nothing at all enjoyable.

:wideeyes: Wow, that's a lot of books. I can check out a total of 58 books between regular books and ebooks at my local library and ebooks at the Seattle library.

I'm taking next week off but I'll either watching gymnastics or obsessing about the gymnastics online :shuffle: so I don't think I'll get much reading done.

One of the ebooks is Harry Lipkin, Private Eye (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12965103-harry-lipkin-private-eye) which is about 150 pages and very light with very short sentences so I should at least be able to get it read next week. :D

Spinner
07-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Ok all you Gone Girl fans...my bookstore just booked Gillian Flynn for a signing in a couple weeks! YAY!! If anyone wants a signed copy, send me a PM! :)