PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Andrushka
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
I have the actual book but I get too busy and also I know if I sit down and read it too much I won't get anything done! lol

Artemis@BC
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I did something last night I almost never do (unless I don't plan on reading the whole book): flipped to the back and skimmed the ending. I know a lot of people do that regularly, but I usually prefer to remain unspoiled.

The book is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and as fabulous as it is, it was actually causing me mental stress! Few things stress me out more in a book (or film) than a protagonist being falsely accused, and because the way this book is structured you're not even sure if it is a false accusation. At just over the 1/2 way point there's a significant revelation ... and when I hit that point I just had to know the ending. Now I can relax (a bit at least) and see how it gets there.

I'm really loving this book. Finally a "hot new read" that's living up to its hype.

oleada
07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Gone Girl :cheer: I'm glad you're loving it. I could hardly put it down.

I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns last night. It's not normally a book I would read but I loved it and wanted to tear up at the end.

Cachoo
07-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I did something last night I almost never do (unless I don't plan on reading the whole book): flipped to the back and skimmed the ending. I know a lot of people do that regularly, but I usually prefer to remain unspoiled.

The book is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and as fabulous as it is, it was actually causing me mental stress! Few things stress me out more in a book (or film) than a protagonist being falsely accused, and because the way this book is structured you're not even sure if it is a false accusation. At just over the 1/2 way point there's a significant revelation ... and when I hit that point I just had to know the ending. Now I can relax (a bit at least) and see how it gets there.

I'm really loving this book. Finally a "hot new read" that's living up to its hype.

I'm not asking for spoilers but when you finish tell us what you thought of the ending. ITA --this book deserves the hype it has received.

galaxygirl
07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Hmmm... Maybe I'll give Gone Girl another chance. I read the first paragraph and didn't care dor the style and had the same reaction to a previous book of hers but it's getting such good reviews.

Spinner
07-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Re: Gone Girl--I don't know if it's already been mentioned (sorry, too lazy to look back in the thread) but its movie rights have been sold and Reece Witherspoon will produce.

oleada
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Re: Gone Girl--I don't know if it's already been mentioned (sorry, too lazy to look back in the thread) but its movie rights have been sold and Reece Witherspoon will produce.

Oooh. I wonder who will be cast as the main characters.

Spinner
07-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Oooh. I wonder who will be cast as the main characters.

There's already lots of speculation in the Twitterverse, most guessing Reece will also star.

And Rowan Joffe is directing the movie of Before I Go to Sleep. Nicole Kidman has signed on to star as Christine.

Artemis@BC
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm not asking for spoilers but when you finish tell us what you thought of the ending. ITA --this book deserves the hype it has received.

Finished it (Gone Girl) last night. At 1:38. I have such a book hangover this morning.

I thought the ending was ... brilliant. Can't say I "loved" it because, well, you know, there are things most sane people will wish went a different way. But satisfying and fitting? In most ways, yes.

But mostly I thought I am so glad these people are not in my life!

Not sure about a movie treatment. They'll have to hit just the right tone. And so much of the audience perspective for the first half depends on Amy's fake diary -- that will be very hard to achieve without some cheeze voiceover. Of course they don't have do do things exactly the way the book did, there are ways to restructure how the events are revealed ... I'll keep an open mind.

Reece could be good in this role though. Think Election for a similar twisted, self-righteous heroine.

Cachoo
07-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Finished it (Gone Girl) last night. At 1:38. I have such a book hangover this morning.

I thought the ending was ... brilliant. Can't say I "loved" it because, well, you know, there are things most sane people will wish went a different way. But satisfying and fitting? In most ways, yes.

But mostly I thought I am so glad these people are not in my life!

Not sure about a movie treatment. They'll have to hit just the right tone. And so much of the audience perspective for the first half depends on Amy's fake diary -- that will be very hard to achieve without some cheeze voiceover. Of course they don't have do do things exactly the way the book did, there are ways to restructure how the events are revealed ... I'll keep an open mind.

Reece could be good in this role though. Think Election for a similar twisted, self-righteous heroine.

I agree with you on so much. If Reece isn't Amy I would be surprised. I bet at some point in my lifetime I've run into people like those in the book and didn't know it. Scary.

Kasey
07-21-2012, 03:18 AM
I've used Goodreads for years. Good to know what your friends are reading, have read, recommend.

I absolutely loved Out by Natsuo Kirino despite all the violence. Highly recommended urban thriller that is very well written and constructed, laden with sexual politics, relevant to all societies and not just the Japanese. An excellent book, will look for more by the same author.

There is another one of hers that was translated into English called "Grotesque"; similar to "Out" for me, in which, the writing and narrative was so amazing, it drew me in and kept me in, despite the fact that I liked absolutely NONE of the characters. Fascinating writing.

IceAlisa
07-21-2012, 03:25 AM
There is another one of hers that was translated into English called "Grotesque"; similar to "Out" for me, in which, the writing and narrative was so amazing, it drew me in and kept me in, despite the fact that I liked absolutely NONE of the characters. Fascinating writing.

Grotesque just arrived by mail from a used bookstore. :) Looking forward to it.

Cachoo
07-21-2012, 03:54 AM
I think I must yearn for cool weather. I love Donald Hall's prose and essays even more than his poetry. I want to be in his New Hampshire during this gawd-awful hot spell so I am pulling out my "Eagle Pond" books.

Nomad
07-21-2012, 05:39 PM
I just started Angel by Elizabeth Taylor this morning. It's the story of a working class girl who becomes the best-selling author of trashy, purple prose romances, written, as Dorothy Parker once said, "without fear and without research." She's a monster of vanity and selfishness, perfectly rendered in Taylor's clean, economic prose. There are fleeting moments when I feel a little pity for Angel, thoroughgoing bitch though she is, but I can't help hoping that she gets what she deserves in the end.

Cachoo
07-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I just started Angel by Elizabeth Taylor this morning. It's the story of a working class girl who becomes the best-selling author of trashy, purple prose romances, written, as Dorothy Parker once said, "without fear and without research." She's a monster of vanity and selfishness, perfectly rendered in Taylor's clean, economic prose. There are fleeting moments when I feel a little pity for Angel, thoroughgoing bitch though she is, but I can't help hoping that she gets what she deserves in the end.

Was this made into a film with Romola Garai (sp?)?