PDA

View Full Version : Libro filum--the book thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Artemis@BC
07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Also, I hope the link to the amazon reviews I posted above works. It's not working on my phone (too many quote marks and https) but editing it on my phone is a nightmare.

It didn't actually work as posted, since you ask ... but it was relatively easy to find the proper link by taking out the extra %% etc.

Here's the amended link: Amazon reviews (http://www.themorningnews.org/article/lone-star-statements)

galaxygirl
07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
It didn't actually work as posted, since you ask ... but it was relatively easy to find the proper link by taking out the extra %% etc.

Here's the amended link: Amazon reviews (http://www.themorningnews.org/article/lone-star-statements)

Artemis@BC
07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I think this was my favorite - I'd never considered that particular angle...

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (1950)
“... the books are nothing more than advertisements for “Turkish Delight,” a candy popular in the U.K. The whole point of buying books for my grandkids was to give them a break from advertising, and here (throughout) are ads for this “Turkish Delight”! How much money is this Mr. Lewis getting from the Cadbury’s chocolate company anyway? This man must be laughing to the bank.”

:rofl:

That one made me laugh too. Except that ... while Cadbury did (does?) in fact make a variety of Turkish delight, it's not a brand, it's just a variety of candy. Cadbury doesn't own it.

I vaguely remember the Cadbury Turkish delight from my childhood. It was vile -- chocolate covered jello basically. Real Turkish delight is nothing like it, and about a zillion times better. Kind of like Jet Puffs vs. real homemade marshmallows -- no comparison.

michiruwater
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
That makes me laugh so hard, because when I was a kid, and I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, what I remember most clearly was that I'd never had Turkish Delight and the book made me want some very badly, so I asked my dad was Turkish Delight was and he went out and bought some Turkish Delight for me. So, needless to say, I agree very much with that review.

Ajax
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I vaguely remember the Cadbury Turkish delight from my childhood. It was vile -- chocolate covered jello basically. Real Turkish delight is nothing like it, and about a zillion times better. Kind of like Jet Puffs vs. real homemade marshmallows -- no comparison.

Yes, as a Turk, I was horribly offended when I tried the "Turkish delight" from Cadbury. The real thing and the Cadbury version have absolutely nothing to do with each other and Cadbury is giving Turkish delight a bad name.

The Amazon review compilation is kind of disappointing actually. They just chose random bashing reviews, not ones that actually gave one star because of a legitimate gripe. The chosen reviews are not even witty or funny. What a weird compilation. For example this:

" Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller (1934)
“This book is one of the worst books I have ever read. I got to about page 3-4.”"

OK, because I'm totally gonna take the opinion of someone who didn't read more than 3 pages of a book?

Or this:

" To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)
“I don’t see why this book is so fabulous. I would give it a zero. I find no point in writing a book about segregation, there’s no way of making it into an enjoyable book. And yes I am totally against segregation.”"

Leaves me speechless. Way to miss the point.

galaxygirl
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
“This book is one of the worst books I have ever read. I got to about page 3-4.”"

OK, because I'm totally gonna take the opinion of someone who didn't read more than 3 pages of a book?

Or this:

" To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)
“I don’t see why this book is so fabulous. I would give it a zero. I find no point in writing a book about segregation, there’s no way of making it into an enjoyable book. And yes I am totally against segregation.”"

Leaves me speechless. Way to miss the point.

I think this was one of the points of the compilation--bad reviews (IOW, reviews that themselves are bad, not that they necessarily think the book was bad).

rfisher
07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I've tossed lots of books after 3 pages. If a book hasn't hooked me by that point, I don't waste my time. In fact, most agents or editors won't go past the first paragraph. If the opening sentence doesn't have the hook, the author missed the point. If you have to slog through page after page, it's not worth the time. That's why I simply don't understand people who say they persist in reading books that are boring or are slow. Too many other books to read.

Artemis@BC
07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I've tossed lots of books after 3 pages. If a book hasn't hooked me by that point, I don't waste my time. In fact, most agents or editors won't go past the first paragraph. If the opening sentence doesn't have the hook, the author missed the point. If you have to slog through page after page, it's not worth the time. That's why I simply don't understand people who say they persist in reading books that are boring or are slow. Too many other books to read.

Oh, I completely agree with making that determination for yourself. (Though I usually give it at least a couple of chapters.) But to say "Worst book I've ever read" after only 3 pages, and to go to the effort of posting that review online ... that's the laughable part. Heck, even to say you've "read" it after only 3 pages is the part that makes this review worthy of being on the derision list.

rfisher
07-11-2012, 09:30 PM
See, I'd disagree on that point. If somebody thought it was the worst book they'd ever read only 3 pages in, I'd stop and think, hmmmmm....particularly if they bothered to post a review. I'd give the book a pass because I'd figure they were on to something. And, considering the book in question, I know they were on to something. :)

LilJen
07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zima. Fun story. I recommend it.

Prancer
07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
I think this was one of the points of the compilation--bad reviews (IOW, reviews that themselves are bad, not that they necessarily think the book was bad).

Yes, you are supposed to be :eek: :lol: when you read them.

I sometimes teach Intro to Lit. Imagine those reviews, only they run on like that for pages, and you'd have about half the papers in most classes. One of my friends cries nearly every day when she teaches Intro to Lit.

See, I'd disagree on that point. If somebody thought it was the worst book they'd ever read only 3 pages in, I'd stop and think, hmmmmm....particularly if they bothered to post a review.

I wouldn't. I've read a lot of books I've loved that didn't grab me right away. In fact, I find a lot of grabber intros to be annoying, as they often set up something that doesn't pay off and seem extremely contrived.

Diffrerent strokes and all that. But I completely ignore reviews like that one.

rjblue
07-12-2012, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't. I've read a lot of books I've loved that didn't grab me right away. In fact, I find a lot of grabber intros to be annoying, as they often set up something that doesn't pay off and seem extremely contrived.

Diffrerent strokes and all that. But I completely ignore reviews like that one.
A lot of mystery books start out with a grabber intro, and all it does for me is make me skip directly to the end to see how it finishes, and then I put the book away. I like a book to set up first, and introduce itself, and slowly draw me in- if that makes any sense.

I've just finished reading Forever Peace (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21618.Forever_Peace) by Joe Haldeman, and I found it irritating to read. It kept switching narrative voice from first person to third person, and from different character perspectives, and I found it distracting. The storyline was interesting enough for me to finish it, but it was nowhere near as good as his book The Forever War (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21611.The_Forever_War).

They are both SF books from the same future, but not a series. Ridley Scott bought the rights to The Forever War, and he's hoping to make an Avatar type movie with it, which would be AWESOME [/geekvoice].

zaphyre14
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
My library lends Kindles so I got one to test before I decide to buy one. It comes with about 40 pre-loaded books and, for the heck of it, I chose "The Hunger Games" to start my trial with. It took me a bit to figure out the options but I'm now into about Chapter 6 or 7 (I lose track without page numbers). The present tense POV is annoying to me but the story is interesting. I can see the appeal although I wish it was better written.

As for the Kindle, I'm not entirely sold yet, but I will allow that it's easier to read since I can adjust the font size to suit my aging eyes.

Spinner
07-13-2012, 03:58 PM
My library lends Kindles so I got one to test before I decide to buy one. It comes with about 40 pre-loaded books and, for the heck of it, I chose "The Hunger Games" to start my trial with. It took me a bit to figure out the options but I'm now into about Chapter 6 or 7 (I lose track without page numbers). The present tense POV is annoying to me but the story is interesting. I can see the appeal although I wish it was better written.

As for the Kindle, I'm not entirely sold yet, but I will allow that it's easier to read since I can adjust the font size to suit my aging eyes.

If you're near one, go to a Barnes & Noble and play with all the different Nooks. Heck, even buy one. Many books have a neat "read in store" option that allows you to read as much of a book as you want for 1 hour while in the store. Give it a good go and see what you think. I like mine. If you really do prefer a kindle, you can return it within 14 days no questions asked. Good luck!

Artemis@BC
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I got about 1/3 of the way through Micro by Michael Crichton before putting it aside. It didn't take nearly that long for me to remember why I stopped reading his stuff 20 years ago. :rolleyes: But it's a book club book ... so I'll probably go back to it, at least skimming.

Happily, though, the next book that came through at the library is much, much better -- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. The inventive and witty writing grabbed me from the beginning, but it will be the "what really happened" suspense that keeps me going. Very much living up to its hype so far.